post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Montoya Finishes Third in ARCA Debut

Montoya was involved in an accident that dropped him back as far as 31st after leading the first laps. The Colombian recovered and drove the No. 4 Dodge Charger back up through the field to finish third.

“It’s nice Chip got me here because it was definitely necessary to come,” said Montoya. “You have to live it and experience it as well. It was a good day. I think the Texaco/Havoline Dodge behaved pretty well.”

“As far as I’m concerned it was one solid step toward what we wanted to do,” said Team Owner Chip Ganassi. “Mission Accomplished. I think he (Montoya) understands Cup is going to be more difficult, but this is a learning curve. I thought he did great; he led laps, went to the back and came into the pits for the first time. The important thing is that he maintained his composure in the draft. That’s the big thing and I’ll take it.”

Montoya started the race second after his qualifying effort on Thursday. He led the first nine laps before a second drafting line began in the outside lane. He raced side-by-side until the caution flag waved on lap 19. Crew chief Brad Parrott called Montoya into the pits for an air pressure adjustment, four tires and fuel. A tire rolled out of the pits, costing the team time. Montoya returned to the track in the 19th position.

Racing resumed on lap 25, and Montoya wasted no time figuring out how to draft to the front. After just five green-flag laps he was back in the top 10. On lap 36, another car tried to make it three wide and drifted into the Texaco/Havoline Dodge. Montoya was able to keep the wheel straight, while two other cars went spinning. The car suffered damage to the right side, so even though pit road was closed, Parrott called Montoya into the pits to be sure he didn’t have a flat tire.

“We were in the middle of the pack and they said, ‘watch out,” said Montoya. “The cars came straight at me and I was pretty lucky. I really though I was going to lose it, but for some reason the car didn’t spin.”

The crew jumped over the wall on lap 37 to change right-side tires. He returned to the track until ARCA Officials opened up pit road on lap 40 so the team could repair the cosmetic damage to the car. After several trips down pit road, Montoya took the green flag from the 28th position on lap 44.

Montoya worked his way up to 11th on lap 54, but the racing was now three wide from the front to the rear of the field. He tested the various drafting lines to see how the Texaco/Havoline Dodge reacted and was sitting 14th when the yellow flag waved on lap 64. Montoya came down pit road and the team filled the car with fuel. The fuel-only stop boosted Montoya to sixth for the restart on lap 69.

Montoya radioed the team that he was going to draft behind the No. 61 car. He practiced the art of bump drafting for a few laps, and on lap 72 pushed the No. 61 car to the lead. The outside line formed again and the racing was soon side-by-side. On lap 79, a multi-car wreck brought out the final caution flag of the day. ARCA Officials called the race due to daylight and Montoya took the checkered flag on lap 81 in third.

Montoya thanked the crew over the radio before exiting the Texaco/Havoline Dodge with a smile. “I haven’t had this much fun in a race for a long time,” said Montoya. “I passed about 40 cars today easily. That was outrageous.”

Eddie
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that was fun to read, but probably boring to watch.

Kirill
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
It's NASCAR's gain and Formula One's loss. It's incomprehensible that F-1 just let him go.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill
that was fun to read, but probably boring to watch.
Until you have been to a race or two you will not understand, they are NOT boring to watch at all. I have followed Formula One, Grand Am, TransAm, LeMans, German Touring, NASCAR, IRL, CART [ChampCar] since the late 60's and held license in both IMSA [73] and SCCA [74-01] both amateur and pro. All of the types of racing are slightly different while driving and watching but all are very interesting and exciting to watch ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND the nuances of the particular form of racing. NASCAR is not F1. NASCAR fans think F1, with only 20 cars and minimal passing is boring as Hell. They too are wrong.

Go to a couple of races, if you can get tickets. Go to the Brickyard400 or the Bristol night race next year. It will totally remove boring from your mind.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
It's NASCAR's gain and Formula One's loss. It's incomprehensible that F-1 just let him go.
I don't understand it either but he seems so much happier. I saw him at the USGP while at "work" and he seemed very unhappy. Right after the announcement, it was like watching the old JPM from IRL/CART days back again.

What I can't wait to see is NASCAR fan reaction to the Columbian Fan Base when they fly up for the Daytona 500 in February. I was going to only go down for the Rolex24 but decided to get tickets for the 500 after Montoya entered [assuming he qualifies -ha]. The infield will be carnival and that is where I got my tickets. Roll the Prevost in and party.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Until you have been to a race or two you will not understand, they are NOT boring to watch at all.
I understand that go to the races is more fun. I've been to amateur Rock concert that was very boring before few rounds of tequila and beer.

I took me few years to completely understand F1 and now i can't miss a race.

There may be a way to get hooked on Nascar - but i just have no interest.

Kirill
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill
I understand that go to the races is more fun. I've been to amateur Rock concert that was very boring before few rounds of tequila and beer.

I took me few years to completely understand F1 and now i can't miss a race.

There may be a way to get hooked on Nascar - but i just have no interest.
I understand completely. It is alot like getting a 50+ year old [me] used to spring break [Sebring, Rolex24 infield, etc]. It takes a bit but it is worth it.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 06:22 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
If you guys like Nascar AND you like F1 then there is a chance you might like the Australian V8 supercar series. Not sure how accessible it is for viewing outside of Oz - BUT it is like a mix of the two. Only 2 manufacturers (Ford and GM) but about 15 teams racing on European type circuits. It's close racing with passing AND some technical skill too. Worth a look if you can find some coverage of it.

www.v8supercars.com.au

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in