CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
GP Japan, Schumi loses engine

17 laps to go and leading Alonso, Schumachers Ferrari engine blew in a huge cloud of smoke. It should be the championship for Alonso with only one more race to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Alonso wins, Massa second, and Fisichella third. BTW, this was Schumachers first Ferrari engine failure in a race since 2001.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 08:26 AM
SSL
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: R107 300SL; 1990 500SL (R129);2001 R170 230SLK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
17 laps to go and leading Alonso, Schumachers Ferrari engine blew in a huge cloud of smoke. It should be the championship for Alonso with only one more race to go.
I have never been a fan of Michael Schumacher but his record speaks for itself. Statistically he is the greatest driver F1 has ever seen and the worst in terms of the way that he has conducted himself at times on the track.

Michael has also been one of the luckiest drivers in F1 but today his luck ran out and he himself has admitted that the Drivers`Championship has all but gone.

Having said that I am not a fan I must admit that Michael Schumacher has never been a whinger and in all the years that he has been at the top I do not remember ever hearing him criticise his team. He clearly is not only an exceptional racing driver but also an oustanding in identifying and bringing together talent and moulding it into a successful unit.

Going into today all the momentum was with Ferrari so to have an engine failure
and see your rival for the Championship win must have been hugely disappointing. To his great credit Schumacher praised the efforts of his team, accepted that engine failures were part of F1 racing and pledged himself to help his team secure the Constructors` Championship in his last race in Brazil.

To my mind even greater credit is due to him for saying that whilst it was still possible for him to win the Drivers`Championship he would not like to do so if the only way he could achieve it was if his rival`s car failed.

Fernando Alonso would do well to emulate Michael Schumacher`s approach to team building. If he can do that who is to say that he will not also emulate Schumacher`s records?
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 09:47 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: TT
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to SaMaS
I agree ... I felt in love with F1 wachting M.Shumacher ... he will leave big hole in F1 after he retires, hope someone can fill that hole up otherwise F1 will never be that interesting to me...

Last edited by SaMaS; 10-08-2006 at 09:53 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Michael's conduct at the end of the penultimate race of his career showed a level of class that I believe has been the hallmark of his career. Of his several instances of over-aggressiveness and foolish parking at Monaco, they will not even be whispers in his history as it is written. Only his infamous bouts with Hill and Villenueve will rise to show his will to win at any cost. But, as SSL said, the class of saying that he would not want to win only if Alonso failed is the mark of a true sportsman. Today’s race was good but was tinged with a sadness of not seeing both drivers going hard to the end. While relieved, I would think even Alonso will see today with a touch of sadness that he did not have an opportunity to beat the former champion tire to tire to the end.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2006, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
The end of an era.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Micheal had these comments after the race:

We are a great team. Our guys are the best and I have a great affection for everyone at Ferrari and am always more than satisfied in the way we work. Incidents like today’s can happen and they are part of racing. You win together but you also lose together. Today we did our best, I was leading the race and then my engine broke. That’s the simplest way to sum it up. That is Formula 1."

"We can be proud of what we have achieved since Canada: we were twenty five points behind and no one could have thought we would be back in the fight for the championship, but we did it. Now we are nine points behind in the Constructors’ classification and we will do all we can to win this title in Brazil. As for the Drivers,’ it is lost. I don’t want to head off for a race, hoping that my rival has to retire. That is not the way in which I want to win the title."

The Drivers Standing

Pos Driver Nat Team Points 1. Fernando Alonso E Renault 126 2. Michael Schumacher D Ferrari 116 3. Felipe Massa BR Ferrari 70 4. Giancarlo Fisichella I Renault 69 5. Kimi Raikkonen FIN McLaren-Mercedes 61 6. Jenson Button GB Honda 50 7. Rubens Barrichello BR Honda 28 8. Juan Pablo Montoya COL McLaren-Mercedes 26 9. Nick Heidfeld D BMW 23 10. Ralf Schumacher D Toyota 20

Constructors Standing

Pos Constructor Nat Points 1. Renault F 195 2. Ferrari I 186 3. McLaren-Mercedes GB 105 4. Honda J 78 5. BMW D 36 6. Toyota J 35 7. Red Bull-Ferrari GB 16 8. Williams-Cosworth GB 11 9. Toro Rosso-Cosworth I 1

Eddie
Attached Images

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
Michael's conduct at the end of the penultimate race of his career showed a level of class that I believe has been the hallmark of his career. Of his several instances of over-aggressiveness and foolish parking at Monaco, they will not even be whispers in his history as it is written. Only his infamous bouts with Hill and Villenueve will rise to show his will to win at any cost. But, as SSL said, the class of saying that he would not want to win only if Alonso failed is the mark of a true sportsman. Today’s race was good but was tinged with a sadness of not seeing both drivers going hard to the end. While relieved, I would think even Alonso will see today with a touch of sadness that he did not have an opportunity to beat the former champion tire to tire to the end.
The Speed TV F1 team recalled a story about Ayrton Senna, whence he sent Nigel Mansell into chills in 1992 by telling him "Well done, Nigel. Now you know why I'm such a bastard. I've had the feeling you have now, and I never wanted anyone else to have it." This was literally on the podium in Hungary, when Mansell clinched the championship.

Michael was cut from this cloth - these were the guys who were dominant when he was entering the sport. He's the longest tenured driver on the grid. His version of logic states "Win, at any cost". Most of the time, his talents on and off track would have been enough to secure victory, but he never left anything to chance.

Suffice to say that those who criticize Schumacher (such as the punk-@$$ Fred Alonso, who is better at criticizing than driving) for being "unsportsmanlike", either have not the benefit of history, or should find another hobby. Alonso's career will enter the long, dark tea-time of the soul next year as he moves to the Borg-like McLaren team. With Renault, he stood a chance of making some type of mark on the sport until the rules were significantly revised in '08. At McLaren, he'll simply become another has-been like Jacques Villeneuve. Were he able to conduct himself off-track in a manner more "sportsmanlike", such as Schumacher, he wouldn't have signed on with McLaren in a hissy fit - a move I'm nearly certain he has already begun to regret.

Last edited by Qubes; 10-09-2006 at 08:42 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
The Speed TV F1 team recalled a story about Ayrton Senna, whence he sent Nigel Mansell into chills in 1992 by telling him "Well done, Nigel. Now you know why I'm such a bastard. I've had the feeling you have now, and I never wanted anyone else to have it." This was literally on the podium in Hungary, when Mansell clinched the championship.

Michael was cut from this cloth - these were the guys who were dominant when he was entering the sport. He's the longest tenured driver on the grid. His version of logic states "Win, at any cost". Most of the time, his talents on and off track would have been enough to secure victory, but he never left anything to chance.

Suffice to say that those who criticize Schumacher (such as the punk-@$$ Fred Alonso, who is better at criticizing than driving) for being "unsportsmanlike", either have not the benefit of history, or should find another hobby. Alonso's career will enter the long, dark tea-time of the soul next year as he moves to the Borg-like McLaren team. With Renault, he stood a chance of making some type of mark on the sport until the rules were significantly revised in '08. At McLaren, he'll simply become another has-been like Jacques Villeneuve. Were he able to conduct himself off-track in a manner more "sportsmanlike", such as Schumacher, he wouldn't have signed on with McLaren in a hissy fit - a move I'm nearly certain he has already begun to regret.
I agree completely. The whining and complaning appear to be the new norm. I watched a bit of the end of the Talladega race and heard the usual suspects complaining against each other about how this one or that one can't drive or drives bad. Makes me think NASCAR is trying to emulate WWF [now WWE] of the early 90's when it was 'hip'. While the racing is very hard and very real in NASCAR, it is being pushed way into the background. I hope that does not start happening to this next generation of F1 as they need to promote it more and more.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guys, don't forget - FA is only 25 years old - he still got a lot to learn.

Kirill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in