post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Next F1 Era

Raikkonen and Alonso are the lead candidates to be Schumacher's "successor", but F1 may be entering a period of several competent drivers swapping the championship year after year.

Still both drivers are very competitive. And its has been a long time since one driver has taken the championship twice.

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 07:46 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: R171 SLK 350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you're right - this could be a new era without any stand-out driver. That will be exciting.

Andrew.

...oOo...

2010 ML350 CDI, Pirodot Brown

Previous:
2007 SLK 350 Obsidian Black, Beige Leather, 7G
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 05:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Lifetime Premium Member
Hopefully it will be the end of the Ferrari one driver and one mobile chicane method of winning a championship.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Geez I've heard that twice now! I still think thats harsh. How can the guy that comes second in the world championship (two years in a row!) be called a mobile chicane? Who was he holding up?

As for this years number two driver - even he managed to get in 4th in the championship in his rookie season.

Andrew.

...oOo...

Previous:
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:00 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Taking the Turkey GP as an example, according to the old rules, Ferrari would have been within its rights to service Schumacher first in the pits, .... allowing him to win the race. Beside more overtaking opportunities, the points spread between first and second is too narrow. Within the present structure, eleven points for a win plus points for top qualifier might work. What do you guys think?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
As I have said before somewhere around here, I do not think the majority of the teams would approve, they want to keep things tight so if the tide changes they will have a chance to overtake the leader in points. Besides, with Michelin dropping out and Bridgestone being the only supplier of tires it will be back to the same old thing a few years ago, Bridgestone works arm and arm with Ferrari and gives the other teams what they got.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Member

I reckon (sorry thats Aussie speak for "think"!) the current points system is about right. Remember its not just about the drivers championship - the constructors too (thats what the teams covet!) - and the spread down to 8th place in that context with two car teams looks good. If the team gets a one-two finish they are well rewarded but a team that can be consistently in the top 3 also is able to keep in touch with the championship over the first half of the season.

I think too often people forget that F1 has nearly always been dominated by one particular team. In the time I've followed F1 I've seen Mclaren dominate and then Williams and then Renault and then Ferrari. The reacing is probably as close these days than in the whole 20+ years I've been following the sport. So why change the point system now?

Andrew.

...oOo...

Previous:
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: E320, BMW M5, Porsche Carrera GT
Alonso dont have chance any more with McLaren.
He made biggest mistake of his life.
kimi need little time to "fit" with Ferrari, but next few years are for sure kimi's ERA.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I like Kimi, and we all know he is a fast driver, but he has to fill some big shoes. People forget that Schumacer is not only very fast, he was largely responsible for introducing the many changes that made the Ferrari team what it is today. How many F-1 drivers do you know, that will actually sleep at the factory? He won his first World Championship by one point in 1994. He won the Championshp again for Benetton Ford in 1995 with 102 Pts. , the second placed Damon Hill had 69 pts, the third placed Coultard had 49 pts, and the other Benetton with Johnny Herbert in fourth only 45 pts.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
He won his first World Championship by one point in 1994.
The year he did a "Senna" and smashed into Damon Hill at Adelaide when he was slowing and Hill was rapidly catching up. If Hill won the race he would have won the championship.

By "Senna" I mean he was a super passionate Sth American who would try almost insane overtaking maneuvers, even against his team mate. ie Prost@Suzuka to try to win the race. Schu on the other hand took a calculated gamble to take out Hill and secure the championship. He tried it again against JV and it didn't pay off when JV won his F1WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
He won the Championshp again for Benetton Ford in 1995 with 102 Pts. , the second placed Damon Hill had 69 pts, the third placed Coultard had 49 pts, and the other Benetton with Johnny Herbert in fourth only 45 pts.
This is IMO the one true level playing field Chamionship win he had. No on pupose collisions and before the mobile chicane teammate contract clause. Eddie and Rubens both hated that clause but took the cash. The only full "win if you can" chance, Irvine had, was after Schu got injured at Silverstone.

No other F1 team has a setup like Ferrari. Where they spend the most money developing a car, so that one Schumacher can win and the other, can only ever, go "wingman" to complete the mission.

Andrew

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in