post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2003 S430 Sport Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Villeneuve done with F1 possible switch to NASCAR

Jacques Villeneuve's manager, Craig Pollock says the French Canadian veteran will not return to F1. Pollock confirmed that Villeneuve - who simirarly left BAR-Honda at the end of 2003 but is now linking with NASCAR switch - is definitely now finish with the series.

What are you guys think? Will we see a Montoya vs Villeneuve in NASCAR?

Eddie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 11:06 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi Eddie. Apparently BMW Sauber did not require his services any longer. Not even to finish out the season. He could not get a decent drive in another F - 1 team, and is now bad mouthing Schumacher (maybe deservedly) and the crop of young drivers in F - 1 (definitely undeserved). For F-1 to lose Montoya and Villeneuve, two of the more colorful personalities, at the same time is a bit much. Should be NASCAR's gain. I couldn't believe how Schumacher could just blow off a certain third in Budapest. Before that, we had his and Alonso's exersises in how to screw up. I hope for a good race in Istanbul, and less stupid moves please. BTW, A bit of trivia. What have the cities of Budapest and Istanbul in common?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
This is a strange year for F1 and its teams. Could it be that these guys are getting older? I hope the upcoming scheduled grand prix's will be better. A friend of mine was at the Belguim Grand Prix. he told me that the fans was not as enthuast as what he used to see on TV. He even says that during the last laps, a McLaren SLR pull up to the pit area and most of the fans did not see who won the race. They were looking at the green SLR. While the most expensive McLaren is on the track.

Are the fans loosing intrests? Most of the drivers (Albers - Schumacher(2) - Villeneuve - Coulthard - Raikkonen - Montoya) are welknown throughout the world.

Eddie
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Villeneuve Close to a NASCAR/NEXTEL Cup Deal

La Gazzetta Della Sport is reporting that the French Canadian, whose BMW contract was ended after the German GP last month, is now in talks with a team in the highly popular American Stock Car Race series.

If confirmed for 2007, that would make Villenueve, world champion in 1997, the second former F1 winner to switch to NASCAR this year, after Juan Pablo Montoya announced his move in July.

Ardy Arani, the President of a leading sports marketing firm, outlined the value that a couple of well known grand prix starswould bring to the US-Based category. He called Villeneuve's recent comments about NASCAR's as a watershed event.

Arani Continued: "NASCAR, at least in terms of the dialogue among racers, is now seen as having parity with one of the major racing series in the world."

Eddie
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Being from the South, I have grown up with NASCAR from the 60's. It has matured very well but there is still a perception in a bunch of this country and the rest of the world that it is nothing but going around in circles. Schumacher made the comment that he could never do "that kind of racing where you just go in circles" just last month but then again he has also shied away from the Indy 500, unlike those Champions before him.

I think that Jacques will do very well in NASCAR. I am very sure the fans and drivers will welcome him. Only ones that will give him grief will be the European press who will feel [and this has already started] that he is somehow soiling the good reputation of F1 by stooping to NASCAR.

After watching NASCAR, F1, WRC, CART/Champ, IRL, German Touring, BTC, etc for decades, I can honestly say that ALL of the series have managed to soil themselves at one time or another. None need another series to help them do it. F1 at Indy last year. IRL vs CART, CART vs USAC.

I just wait for American motorsports fans to realize that NASCAR is a legit form of racing and deserves every bit of respect of any other form of racing. The "just turns left" argument makes no sense since the premiere American race is the Indy 500 which IS respected all over the world.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 74' 450 SE
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to SalvageTitle
it seems like all the money is in NASCAR.... I was reading that they are a few more F1 drivers that might possibly make the switch to NASCAR as well. Danika Patrick wants to switch from IRL to NASCAR in the next few years. It all makes sense though.... NASCAR is the biggest spectator event in the US.... it has got to be a gold mine for the drivers. I have so much more respect for NASCAR after seeing my first Daytona 500 this year, I liked it so much I'm going to see the second to last race in "the chase for the nextel cup" in Phoenix this november. I can't wait to see some F1 and IRL drivers switch over. It will make things very interesting.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2001 CLK430 Avantgarde
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frank Williams summed up JV very well, after JV had chosen to remain for several years in the (then completely non-competitive) BAR team.

He stated that he would never ever re-employ JV, because of his priorities - JV had chosen the cash (he was second only to Schumacher on salary, at around 10million p.a.) for several years, rather than a switch to a team where he stood any chance of a win. This continued even at the point where BAR themselves wanted him out, as he was regularly outperformed by his junior (and vastly cheaper) co-driver..

Yes JV had given Williams a World championship - but to be fair it was at a time when Williams as a team were consistently ahead of the field..

Not a fan, but I wish him better luck back in Nascar, I dont think he'll be missed from F1, there are so many good young drivers coming through now, I think its going to be far more interesting.. look how Kubica has been performing!

Its a good time for MS to quit.. JPM and JV have gone.. Personally I think David Coulthard, Rubens B and possibly one or two others should all be looking to their futures as well - None of them are going to progress any further in F1, they're simply making up the numbers. Let in the new blood - lets have some racing again!

Interesting comment above about NAscar being where the money is.. hmmm..

Last edited by currymilkshake; 10-05-2006 at 01:34 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
The itallian newspaper ‘La gazetta dello sport’ said a few days ago that Jacques Villenuve is going to follow Juan Pablo Montoya in Nascar for 2007. Such a move for Villeneuve was rumored ever since the Canadian was replaced at BMW by the young Polish driver, Robert Kubica.

The newspaper said that Villeneuve’s destination would be Roush Racing, as the driver had already agreed with Ford’s main team in Nascar.

However, according to a report on TSN of Canada’s Web site, reporters for La Presse spotted Villeneuve and his wife Tuesday in Montreal. When asked about the Italian report, Villeneuve smiled and said, “I’m retired.” Villeneuve also said “they’re only rumors” when asked if he was moving to Montreal but didn’t deny the report

Eddie
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:00 AM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Hi Eddie. Apparently BMW Sauber did not require his services any longer. Not even to finish out the season. He could not get a decent drive in another F - 1 team, and is now bad mouthing Schumacher (maybe deservedly) and the crop of young drivers in F - 1 (definitely undeserved). For F-1 to lose Montoya and Villeneuve, two of the more colorful personalities, at the same time is a bit much. Should be NASCAR's gain. I couldn't believe how Schumacher could just blow off a certain third in Budapest. Before that, we had his and Alonso's exersises in how to screw up. I hope for a good race in Istanbul, and less stupid moves please. BTW, A bit of trivia. What have the cities of Budapest and Istanbul in common?
Tuetone, When you say he could not get a decent drive, I think from JV's point of view it was "could not get a team to pay him outrageous sums anymore for the skill he brings to the table". As JPM, I say good riddance, this guy never was colorful and he has the personality of a pumpkin. All he did was blow something up or wreck, never showing any real skills on the track.

As for Michael's blowing off a certain 3rd place in Budapest. He would not be the driver that we all love or hate if he did not give it his all every time he went out there, that is what I like about the man, he willl try and not give up and he goes for broke each time he goes out there. We would not respect him the way most of do if he did not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in