Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 09 W211 Black 06 CLS500 Alabaster White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From F1 to nascar talk about a major downgrade. From driving in the finest F1 circuits in the world to making left turns all season. I wish him the best.

13 C250 Sport Polar White
13 G37S Journey Moontlight White
12 G37S Journey Platinum Silver (sold)
09 E350 Sport Black (sold)
06 CLS500 Alabaster White (sold)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looks like he will have a chance to start NASCAR early and also be at home for his second childs birth. The pictures of him at the press conferences showed him the most relaxed I have seen in a few years.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Should be very popular for NASCAR's plans in Countries South of the border. Villeneuve might be next, and Mika Hakkinen presently in the DTM series, has been seen at a number of NASCAR events!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
From F1 to nascar talk about a major downgrade. From driving in the finest F1 circuits in the world to making left turns all season. I wish him the best.
It is funny but the guys who actually have raced in several different series at the top don't seem to see it as a problem or a downgrade. Anyone who can muscle 850 around ANY track for two or more hours at 150+MPH deserves the upmost respect.

I don't ever hear anyone complaining that AJ Foyt or Mario Andretti or Rick Mears or the Unsers ONLY turned left for most of their careers.

Yes, some of the circuits are very good in europe but some are no better/worse than Sears Point or the Glen or Daytona or Indy, all which have international respect.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
Should be very popular for NASCAR's plans in Countries South of the border. Villeneuve might be next, and Mika Hakkinen presently in the DTM series, has been seen at a number of NASCAR events!
I would really like to see some DTM come here for the Saturday races instead of Busch races. It would provide much better value for the weekend at a place like Daytona, Indy or Phoenix that has an infield and show some good diversity.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2003
Vehicle: '98 S-420
It's all for the money! Paul Tracy was complaning in an artical
in Racer mag. That he has been in open wheel (champ cars)
for 19 years,and can't afford a plane... That Nascar rookie Denny Hamilen (sic) has allready bought his own Lear Jet. Tracy tried
to jump to nascar but couldn't cut it. Jeff Gordon also took
Montoya's F1 car out @ the U.S. GP and was not far off the
pace after only a couple laps.

kevin
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
i watch several moments of Nascar - and did i understand it wrong or is it how it is:

after somebody crashes (usually every 10-15 laps) they bring whole course yellow and everybody who had a lead looses it - than it restarts and guys who were 10-15 seconds behind can overtake.

Kirill
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 09 W211 Black 06 CLS500 Alabaster White
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
It is funny but the guys who actually have raced in several different series at the top don't seem to see it as a problem or a downgrade. Anyone who can muscle 850 around ANY track for two or more hours at 150+MPH deserves the upmost respect.

I don't ever hear anyone complaining that AJ Foyt or Mario Andretti or Rick Mears or the Unsers ONLY turned left for most of their careers.

Yes, some of the circuits are very good in europe but some are no better/worse than Sears Point or the Glen or Daytona or Indy, all which have international respect.
Nascar maybe popular than any motorsports here in the US, but that doesn't mean everyone likes it. That is my opinion and my opinion only. I hate nascar never liked it never will driving 800hp cars making left turns all day for a whole season is not my idea of racing. Foyt, Andretti, Mears & Unser didn't make a living making left turns all there career. These legendary drivers are known for their driving skills in all form of motorsport may it be oval or circuit track. I don't know what kind of schedule the nascar series hold but most of their season are ran on an oval. And the schedule they keep is rediculousy long how many races do they have in a year about 50? It seems like every weekend all you see is nascar this or nascar that. BORING! BORING! BORING! I would rather pay and watch a weekend of club racing than get a free ticket at gasoline alley at a nascar event. Again this is my opinion and opinion only so don't be hating. Peaceout!!!

13 C250 Sport Polar White
13 G37S Journey Moontlight White
12 G37S Journey Platinum Silver (sold)
09 E350 Sport Black (sold)
06 CLS500 Alabaster White (sold)
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Nascar maybe popular than any motorsports here in the US, but that doesn't mean everyone likes it. That is my opinion and my opinion only. I hate nascar never liked it never will driving 800hp cars making left turns all day for a whole season is not my idea of racing. Foyt, Andretti, Mears & Unser didn't make a living making left turns all there career. These legendary drivers are known for their driving skills in all form of motorsport may it be oval or circuit track. I don't know what kind of schedule the nascar series hold but most of their season are ran on an oval. And the schedule they keep is rediculousy long how many races do they have in a year about 50? It seems like every weekend all you see is nascar this or nascar that. BORING! BORING! BORING! I would rather pay and watch a weekend of club racing than get a free ticket at gasoline alley at a nascar event. Again this is my opinion and opinion only so don't be hating. Peaceout!!!
I understand when you say it is your opinion. I can fully appreciate that. It was your comment that the move from F1 to NASCAR was a major downgrade that I questioned since it sounded like more that just a 'your opinion' comment.

As for the Unsers and Mears, yes they did make the very vast majority of their careers on ovals, dirt and paved. Mario and AJ are the only ones of those four that branched out to serious road racing and Mario went into F1. Both he and AJ also ran NASCAR and did very well.

And I agree that a weekend of club racing is more fun, especially participating than watching a 5 hour NASCAR race. I have been to a few and they wear me out. So I fully respect your opinion of watching NASCAR. No argument from me.

The skill level of the drivers, however is every bit on par with those of Champ Car, IRL, ALMS and I would guess F1. We will soon see. And that was my point.

McBear,
Kentucky

Last edited by mcbear; 07-12-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in