LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 12:18 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up. I am familiar with many brands of headphones and the bose are not bad. Have you ever looked into Dr. Bose's 24yr. privately funded active suspension research? Interesting stuff. Enjoy the race.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Post Race Views

Well I have finally got enough fluids back in my system that I can think well enough to type. The temperature was about 95-97 in the aluminum stands yesterday for a very nice race.

The hospitality at the race venue was well above past races with access to drivers and pits the day before the race and some drivers out signing autographs. Day of race, everyone was in a very good mood. Crowds seemed to be as large as previous races [ESPN announced 125,000 for race day]. I saw lots of folks from many countries and was surprised to see many World Cup hats and shirts.

Talking to some of the vendors that I see and buy from every year they said the crowds were about the same but their sales were way down. Seems folks were holding onto their money. Also, there were fewer vendors and the ones there had smaller tents. Indy took all the spots normally used for vendors near the main entrance to the museum and made a parking lot pushing the vendors down the road, away from traffic abit.

The race itself was very good with several good exchanges in the area where I was setting [Turn 10 area which gave a view of end of inside straight and 4 turns]. The Ferrari's owned the day but the racing occurred behind them as Renault, Toyota and Red Bull kept at each other. Alonso was noticeably slower as he went through the actual apex of a couple of the curves, as though he had different gearing or different tires.

The race was not the parade that some folks come to expect in F1 races. It was disappointing that the first lap crash took out so many of the competitors. It would have been good to see Kimi and JPM mix it up with the Renaults and Ferraris on this track as they have done in the past.

More to come in a bit. I am down loading some pics from the camera now and will upload a few after sizing them.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Must have been better in person. On TV the race was a bore. Didnt help that renault had conceded the race before it was run.

John
'80 500SE Euro '5.0 AMG'- 5.0 AMG engine, Gleason rear diff (still trying to find the ratio) and full aero kit. Stock interior. BBS RS133 8x16 3 piece wheels with Michelin XGT Z4 245/45-16 tires.

'78 450SLC milan brown metallic/bamboo leather
'80 300SD
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by white500se
Must have been better in person. On TV the race was a bore. Didnt help that renault had conceded the race before it was run.
I have found that many of the races that I go to, then watch replays on TV that the TV version tends to be much less interesting.

I moved around to several viewing areas for this one and enjoyed it across the board. I have set in a different section each year from the Bombardier Tower to each of the 'turn' sections and the Tower was the worst area to set.

I wonder if the TV viewing is colored by the commentary and breaks? You are right that Renault conceded the win but there was plenty of racing from 4 back. I have found that most of the really good racing is seldom at the front.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear
I have found that many of the races that I go to, then watch replays on TV that the TV version tends to be much less interesting.

I moved around to several viewing areas for this one and enjoyed it across the board. I have set in a different section each year from the Bombardier Tower to each of the 'turn' sections and the Tower was the worst area to set.

I wonder if the TV viewing is colored by the commentary and breaks? You are right that Renault conceded the win but there was plenty of racing from 4 back. I have found that most of the really good racing is seldom at the front.
A lot of it is the commentary but mostly it's the camera work. Too often the cars at the front get all the TV time and that usually means watching cars parade around. We did get to see some of the battles further back but it didn't seem like they showed much. Too many shots of a Ferrari or Renault going down the straight by themselves.

Also didn't really help that so few cars actually raced considering the # that was eliminated in the first two hot laps.

All in all I'd rather see the race moved to a proper track, I've never liked the road course in the infield idea for F1. Maybe once ALL the cars are on tires that actually work on the track it'll help.

John
'80 500SE Euro '5.0 AMG'- 5.0 AMG engine, Gleason rear diff (still trying to find the ratio) and full aero kit. Stock interior. BBS RS133 8x16 3 piece wheels with Michelin XGT Z4 245/45-16 tires.

'80 300SD
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Next year, Michelin will (thankfully) bow out of the series and allow someone else to be the sole tire supplier. Good riddance to those froggy bastards.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 06:48 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBNCGAR
Next year, Michelin will (thankfully) bow out of the series and allow someone else to be the sole tire supplier. Good riddance to those froggy bastards.
As much as I dislike the fact Michelin seemed unwilling to produce a competetive tire for Indy I think F1 will likely go downhill abit with one tire supplier. The competition between the two to produce ever better tires has contributed greatly to the current speed of the cars. I also worry that with only one supplier we will see a certain team always getting the best tires unless there is something very sepcific in the rules prohibiting it.

John

'80 300SD
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
As much as I dislike the fact Michelin seemed unwilling to produce a competetive tire for Indy I think F1 will likely go downhill abit with one tire supplier. The competition between the two to produce ever better tires has contributed greatly to the current speed of the cars. I also worry that with only one supplier we will see a certain team always getting the best tires unless there is something very sepcific in the rules prohibiting it.
Most of the other racing series have just one supplier and they deal with it well. I saw an article on how NASCAR/Goodyear has a very specific policy that keeps any one team from getting any choice of tires. Firestone handles IRL and I never hear of a problem. I would assume that Bridgestone will deal the same way they do with ChampCar.

There were rumors that Michelin did not bring there best to the table this weekend. On the other hand, they spent tons of money in town trying to make nice with Indy and all the locals for the problems last year. There were parties everywhere that Michelin had their money involved in.

McBear,
Kentucky

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 07:16 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
I agree with you. A single tire supplier with 'control tires' etc. might give the expression 'team orders' an entirely different meaning. I think Max Mosley needs a reality check. With freezing tire and engine developement F-1 will no longer be the pinnacle of technology. While we can agree that the Parisian French are the rudest people on Earth, seeing Michelin go is a great loss for Formula 1. The company has been involved in motor racing for over 100 years. The French can't be all bad. Louis Chevrolet, who moved to the U.S in the early 1900's, had worked for French car makers and was French/Swiss. Again, thanks for the heads up to mcbear.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Surely A Large Human

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: '08 C219
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone
I think Max Mosley needs a reality check. With freezing tire and engine developement F-1 will no longer be the pinnacle of technology.
Not sure if it's a foregone conclusion that Bridgestone will be "the" tire manufacturer, but I think it will be cool for there to be one less thing for losers to blame for poor performance, etc.

I do agree that F1 is fascinating not because of the soap-opera story lines, but because of the unprecedented level of technology. Bring back active suspension...bring back turbos...bring back slick tires...bring back V-12's. Let them go buck wild, as long as the cars and tracks are safe! You've got countries DYING to get races, they can make tracks that wouldn't be obsolesced by 20,000+ RPM engines and 1,000+ horsepower. Make the limiting factor the driver instead of the machinery.

I'd love to see longer races, too...bring back the original Nurburgring - all 8+ miles of it.

I remember being about 13 years old, and playing some open wheel race game on my C-64...it had a McLaren Honda amongst other models, but that one stood out because it had 1,500 horsepower. I think it was a 3.5 liter twin-turbo. Yikes indeed...today's cars are still more physically demanding though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in