LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 02:17 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teutone.
Not yet 21 year old Nico Rosberg grew up in Monaco and Ibiza and is fluent in four languages. He had been accepted to study engineering at imperial college London, but decided on a fulltime racing carreer much to the benefit of Formula 1. Another driver to keep an eye on is Adrian Sutil. There is presently no French driver in F-1. It's hard to understand, why Renault does not eat a little humble pie, and offers Champ Cars Sebastien Bourdais a contract. Cheerio, Teutone (aka Horst K)
Nice.

I see you like F1 teutone. I used to religiously follow it, untill schumi turned up and made his impact. If it where me, i would dump all electronics, bar engine management, then let battle begin. The f1 cars nowadays, as far as i am concerned, are overly controlled by electronics . In my humble opinion, binning the 'driver aids' would make an F1 race more enjoyable. The cars would behave like normal cars, and driver skill could be tested to the max, as opposed to maxing the onboard computers. Restricting the electronics would surely bring the costs down as well...

Thats why i follow the WRC. Theres not an absurd amount of electronic gubbins to destroy a battle. When a WRC pilot manhandles his car round a stage, I can really appreciate the skill. When a F1 car takes off from the grid, i dont think "man that bloke has severe pedal skills" i think " good electronics"

Anyway, my benz was the first car i ever owned that had electronic crap to make it 'safe'. I hate this electonic stuff, as for me, it completely & totally pollutes the driving experience. Im not saying i have better skills than a circuit board, far from it, i just enjoy driving without them.

As far as i am concerned, ABS ASR etc is for people who cant drive at the limit. I appreciate that traction control is a good thing for people who are unable to pull out of a junction at speed, without doing a donut. But a keen driver should not need electronic gubbins to make them a 'better' driver. For me, such devices dilute the driving experience

I like driving to be pure, dare i say it raw, but most definetely NoT dictated by computer code!

Last edited by wuzoo; 05-23-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 03:57 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Two of my old pal's took part in the Rally Monte Carlo in the 70's with a 911 RS, and I do follow the WRC. It would be nice to see pure driving and I am sure most drivers would adapt with right foot braking and manual shifting and so forth. I am also certain that in years past, other purists had similar arguments against the use of hydraulic servo aids. Active suspension, ABS, traction control, carbonfiber, hydraulic and now pneumatic valves, electr. controlled manual, and soon instant shifting carbon fiber gearboxes, the list of F-1 tech. advances goes on and on. Much of it has made it into the cars we drive every day, and some of it has saved the lives of average drivers. Formula 1 has always been the pinnacle of automotive technology. It could be argued that Alex Zanardi's Cart accident might have had a different outcome, had it happened in F-1. On the other hand, for the top F-1 teams to spend up to half a billion dollar annually is exessive. Cheerio, Teutone (aka Horst K)
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

agreed: From memory some 'f1 bloke' stated that there is/ was superb technology transfer from F1 to the everday car. I cant remember the exact technologies that made there way from f1 to joe public. However I still feel that binning most electronics in f1 could make races better. However, an argument could be made that someone with such a belief should simply change formula from F1 to the 'lesser' events, where power and driver aids are reduced.

I just want to appreciate undiluted skill, not witness pentiums aiding a car round a track.

I have never been in a bona fide rally car. I have been in a 398bhp 420ft/llb cosworth + others, which have totally rocked my world. My puritan approach results from owning a westfield super seven. I love reading the road and fighting silly things like tree grease and wet rubber saturated corners. For sure i could find a car that would totally demolish my best theoretical lap time. However would i have as much slideways fun.... i doubt it.

I want to witness old school races where skill is apparent. If i want to witness cars going round on rails, i will find my scalextric and plug it in

my 0.2
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 02:24 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Way back, I used an Elan for hill climb and frequently drove my friends Lotus Super Seven with slicks on. Yours probably has an improved chassis compared to the original, but they sure are a lot of fun. The most fun car I ever had was a Schnitzer BMW CSL, with very little original left on it. The whole car incl. rollcage weighted 1,060 kg. The GP2 series was, and is pretty exiting to watch. Much to my regret, the GP masters series is not being shown here, where old farts like Nigel Mansell are still kicking butt. Cheerio, Teutone

Last edited by Teutone; 05-25-2006 at 02:33 PM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 06:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzoo
I just want to appreciate undiluted skill, not witness pentiums aiding a car round a track.
Take a look at MotoGP then.

Nothing naughty here

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Member

cheers tank girl

motogp is bikes no? I do love watching the super bike pilots screaming around. My jaw hits hits the ground when i watch those blokes giving it yee ha. My favourite is the Isle of mann TT and the other road races. I am fully & utterly blown away watching those peeps do there business. Alas, bikes dont float my boat. I occasionally ponder buying an r6, but at 27, i still dont trust myself to behave properly. Least in a car there is some metal work to protect me if (when!) I crash. Coming of a bike at 125mph and headbutting a lampost would not be a good day out.

Years back, I knew a bloke who came of his bike. His nads hit the fuel tank causing the tank to implode. After the crash, his nuts where said to be the size of grapefruits and he spent 6 months on a zimmer frame.

scary stuff

Last edited by wuzoo; 05-26-2006 at 03:43 PM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:46 AM
BNZ
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMPHIWE
How can Renault have a faster and more reliable car than MB?

Because the French are proven quality engineers. Enlighten yourself with Gustav Eiffel, the TGV and the F1 Renault success of 15'ish years ago and look at the recent disasters of the 'populist' MB's. A Renault won't do a million miles however !
Also F1 is a different animal, the engines are built for extremely high revs over an extremely short lifespan, not your fathers Oldsmobile, Renault or Mercedes.
Don't fret, they'll get back up there as they were in the 1940's, early 50's and 90's.
Thanks to German metallurgy and diligent engineering capability you are probably driving a superior and safer vehicle.

Relax and cheer them all on.

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Hate to be picky. Gustav Eiffel was also instrumental in the 'Statue of Liberty' project. Like most French Beer, his family came from formerly German Elsass - Lothringen (now Alsace - Lorraine ), on the foot of the 'Eifel' range of mountains (the core of Barbarossas Empire ). The French couldn't pronounce their German name, so they changed it to the French 'Eiffel'. Cheerio, Teutone (aka Horst K)
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 09:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 2009 C63 AMG
Send a message via AIM to Case1906
Cool Lewis Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by teutone.
Not yet 21 year old Nico Rosberg grew up in Monaco and Ibiza and is fluent in four languages. He had been accepted to study engineering at imperial college London, but decided on a fulltime racing carreer much to the benefit of Formula 1. Another driver to keep an eye on is Adrian Sutil. There is presently no French driver in F-1. It's hard to understand, why Renault does not eat a little humble pie, and offers Champ Cars Sebastien Bourdais a contract. Cheerio, Teutone (aka Horst K)
You guys should keep your eyes on Lewis Hamilton for a McLaren seat as early as 2007. He is the current points leader in GP2, and dominated the Monte Carlo race from the pole. Hamilton is under contract with McLaren-Mercedes. (Nico won the championship last year.)

Case

2009 AMG C63-Arctic White
2006 E350 AMG Sport-Black
2003 Acura MDX
1997 E320 Black (sold)
1996 Isuzu Rodeo (donated)
1988 RX-7T Limited Edition (my fav)
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 PM
CH4S Artist

Lifetime Premium Member
Lewis Hamilton is definitely the find of this season. GP 2 has been more exiting than F-1. Especially the battle between Kovalainen and Rosberg last year. My brother in law in Dubai was involved in putting the A1 GP project together. Before A1, they were being offered to buy the old F - 1 teams of either Jaguar team or the majority interest in the Honda team. I still have the files, interesting insight into F - 1. The old Jaguar team, including all facilities sold very cheap. Cheerio, Teutone (aka Hort K)

P.S. The Galapagos have no traffic, is it Maryland?

Last edited by Teutone; 06-05-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in