post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 97' Mercedez C-280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to frankthetank_86
RE: DRIFTING Anyone??

Yeah it's cool never really liked the drifting thing, I had a 86 Toyota Corolla before I sold it to buy my benz, but it was more setup towards grip. Sold it Hella cheap. RWD car is so much fun in the rain though. Don't really think I will be doing much with this one though

97' Benz C-280
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004

Although I don't drift my Benz frequently, I've got to say, my car is pretty setup for drifting. Albeit heavy compared to your avarage drift car, like the FDs, FCs, S14s and the lot, it's actually very stable. (well at least with my COs and 25mm swaybars).

But for sure, if you want to start our drifitng, you can find a car for around $2000 and have a really good time at it.

But on a serious note, I just don't feel compfortable drifting a car, I've spent $10k modding.

Sure is fun though.....

SUZYzDION
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 09:01 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2005 and 2006 C230s

I've spent that (more than that on my last car) and taken the car to the track, which is really just as tricky.

I would not take my car to a drift event without tons of parking lot practice... But the local Fred Meyer has a lot covered in black stripes because the place closes at 11PM, and the kids just roll out looking for fun.

By the way: What's cheap for an AE86? Here one in any kind of decent shape goes for $4,000. Pretty impressive for a car that sold for less than twice that price new almost twenty years ago.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: '84 500SEC

Quote:
BenzofBend - 10/15/2005 10:01 AM
By the way: What's cheap for an AE86? Here one in any kind of decent shape goes for $4,000. Pretty impressive for a car that sold for less than twice that price new almost twenty years ago.
I've seen GTS' as low as 1500, although not in great condition, you can get into an SR5 (sohc, not 4age) for cheaper, cheaper still if you want a coupe and not the hatch. Coupe is lighter and stiffer anyway. GTS hatch's are nuts pricewise, more than doubling in the past few years because of that Initial D thing. I think it would be cooler to be different now and get something like an S12 200sx which came with a factory turbo even in the US, or a Starion (evo8 motors bolt right in) not that the stocker is bad, or even a 2002 or early 3 series BMW. I think a w123 wagon would be cool too, plus you would have room to haul around tires.

'84 500SEC Anthracite Gray
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

I'm speaking about the newer models, but with the gearboxs from such cars as the w210 E class or w203s, you can downshift whenever you wish, using the touchshift, and the tranny will keep the gears below the given setting.

So if you were to shift down to 3rd, the tranny will now go no higher than 3rd.

SUZYzDION
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 04:44 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2004

I am drifting for 6 months of the year, when we have snowcovered roads with my 02 C32T AMG Wagon. I is extremely fun, but it almost drives my wife crazy... (needless to say she does not like it!).

On my new 06 ML350, the ESP engages everytime I let go of the gas, even when swiched off. This really sucks, so I will see if we are able to disengage this with the Star Diagnose[:)]

Regards,

MB Viking.
2006 ML 63 AMG arrived! Whooowww!
New 2008 C220 CDI AMG Sportpackage arrived. More sporty handeling than my 2002 C32T AMG!
2008 Audi R8 arrived!
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:16 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '87 300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Benz_200T - 9/14/2005 9:10 AM

This is my car.....Drifting is fun and very challenging......Im Driving a Benz W123....i cant Drag...(too heavy)....Track...(not enought money)....The cheapest motorsport is Drifting....using secondhand tyres....
your drifting a w123 gasser right? i doubt a diesel could keep the revs up to keep the tires spinning.. but id be pretty neat seeing a diesel drift
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
DACHIGGA - 11/3/2005 4:29 PM

I'm speaking about the newer models, but with the gearboxs from such cars as the w210 E class or w203s, you can downshift whenever you wish, using the touchshift, and the tranny will keep the gears below the given setting.

I thought that if the RPMs get too high, it will automatically upshift to avoid any damage. Or does it just not let the engine RPMs get that high?

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
asianml - 1/1/2006 7:23 PM

Quote:

I thought that if the RPMs get too high, it will automatically upshift to avoid any damage. Or does it just not let the engine RPMs get that high?
It will not let you over rev, but it will not upshift.

SUZYzDION
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
DACHIGGA - 1/2/2006 2:20 AM

Quote:
asianml - 1/1/2006 7:23 PM

Quote:

It will not let you over rev, but it will not upshift.
Ok good. when we got our ML, my dad accidentally hit the gear shifter and it went all the way down to 1st gear, and he kept revving the engine. I finally figured it out after like 5 minutes.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in