Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 02:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: spåhonsåÿo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: USGP WTF!!!

Too bad that so many teams are using unsafe tyres from Michelin and that Mercedes-McLaren is in that group.[:(]

The teams with safe tyres from Bridgestone was racing acording to plan. Too bad that only six cars was racing.

Bengt
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

FIA is so f^&kup. They should not have let the race went on as scheduled.

'95 R129
'04 G35.5 BS
'10 X204
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 06:09 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: w126 420 sel
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

so who decides that the tyres were unsafe??? they spend millions of $ on tyre research and they can't even get approved...i don't get it...there must be a political issue from within.

1992 500E...more to come.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: S500, C320, 330xi

I have said this before, F1 lost me as a fan in the past year. This was only the second race I've watched this year. I had watched nearly every race since 1996, waking up early in the morning in Canada to do so. The problem is the farcical tyre rule that was instituted this year. Some idiot thought the one tyre rule would save a bundle of money. I just don't see how a few tyres would mean much in terms of savings for teams with hundred-million dollar budgets. It is unrealistic for tyres to last entire races at tough, fast tracks like Nurburgring, Indy, Spa and depending on the temperature, maybe Magny Cours. They should scrap the one-tyre rule completely. It doesn't save much money and is unsafe in my opinion. Remember Kimi's blowout?

Michelin was correct to declare their tyres unsafe to race. The team managers obviously had to take the advice and bring in their cars which were riding on suspect tyres. Despite all the costs involved in F1, the tyres are the only part of the car that touches the track and if they are unsafe, the driver's life is at serious risk. Blame Michelin for not being able to make a safe tyre, but blame FIA for making up this stupid tyre rule which prompted the need for a long-life race tyre!

I think the banks that effectively own F1, but have little say in its affairs, should get their arse out of the sport. There are better uses for their capital than investing in F1. There's a famous quote that goes "What's the best way to make a small fortune in F1? The answer. Start with a big one!" F1 is run by bankers and marketing people. It needs to bring back the racing guys in executive positions at FIA and FOM, the F1 mgmt. company. Nigel Mansell, Jackie Stewart, Lauda, etc..
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 01 C320 Sport
Send a message via AIM to loveofdriving

I'm just amazed that the FIA didn't make any compromise that would allow all the teams to run. Even if the michelin runners were excluded from earning points, the absolute top priority should have been to show the fans a race. How can they possibly hope to gain fans in the American market when they pull this junk? I'd really be fuming if I had paid for airfare, hotel, and tickets. I hope Tony George tells F1 to go F themselves and F1 doesn't do any USGP anywhere next year.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2005, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 01 C320 Sport
Send a message via AIM to loveofdriving

From an article on Formula1.com: The FIA informed Michelin "that their teams could either use their existing tyres and run more slowly through 13, make tyre changes on safety grounds if necessary, or they could start with new tyres and risk being penalised for breaking the regulations."

So I'm less mad at the FIA than I was 5 minutes ago. I'm actually more amazed now that Michelin couldn't come up with ANY tire that was safe for the race.

As far as the one tire rule, I do think that it has helped make the races more exciting. There have been a lot of races that have gone to the last few laps this year, and I think the reason is that the drivers who have preserved their tires all race are catching up and trying to pass the drivers that have used up their tires.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:39 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
loveofdriving - 6/19/2005 8:41 PM

From an article on Formula1.com: The FIA informed Michelin "that their teams could either use their existing tyres and run more slowly through 13, make tyre changes on safety grounds if necessary, or they could start with new tyres and risk being penalised for breaking the regulations."

So I'm less mad at the FIA than I was 5 minutes ago. I'm actually more amazed now that Michelin couldn't come up with ANY tire that was safe for the race.

As far as the one tire rule, I do think that it has helped make the races more exciting. There have been a lot of races that have gone to the last few laps this year, and I think the reason is that the drivers who have preserved their tires all race are catching up and trying to pass the drivers that have used up their tires.

The problem with the whole thing is that there was no good solution. The six Bridgestone teams could have run as normal while the rest crawled around on the apron but how is that any better than what happened? And considering the tires were said to be shot after as few as 10 laps and that teams can't refuel and change tires at once you'd have as many as 13 pitstops for some cars. Fans still get ripped off and the results are the same in the end. As for using new tires that was never an option as Michelin had told the teams the new ones wouldn't work either. The only proper solution was to run it as non sanctioned but you can't really blame Ferrari for not wanting to do that- it was after all a huge amount of points at stake in a year they need them.

Considering that the resurfacing has caused issues with both Indy and NASCAR it seems that Michelin should have known there could be a problem. Then again, Bridgestone may have been tipped off by Firestone as to how to solve things.

No matter what I suspect it's the last we see of F1 at Indy- the IMS reps refused to hand out the trophies. I doubt that Bernie will let them get away with that. Personally I'd be fine with it- I rather they raced at a real track like Watkins Glen but it's not posh enough for F1 these days. Question is- after this would anyone pay to see it no matter where they held it in the US?

John
'80 500SE Euro '5.0 AMG'- 5.0 AMG engine, Gleason rear diff (still trying to find the ratio) and full aero kit. Stock interior. BBS RS133 8x16 3 piece wheels with Michelin XGT Z4 245/45-16 tires.

'78 450SLC milan brown metallic/bamboo leather
'80 300SD
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 07:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
Send a message via MSN to Merc600sec Send a message via Yahoo to Merc600sec
Sad Day

I think the FIA will soon fade to nothing.. the whole world saw what happened there.. It could have been avoided by the introduction of a chicane to slow the cars on the banking..the same effect on every driver and car including the bridgstone runners..at least we would have had a race.. not a practise session for ferrari..followed by the also ran teams..Mitchelin offered to fly tyres in for the teams to use but the FIA would not allow it..

The sport is as much about the spectators and the TV viewers as it is the drivers and the cars.. And we will vote with our pocket books and not participate again..the FIA interfere whith the sport to the detriment of the drivers and the cars..but they could not make a decision to let the millions of fans see what they expected to..

Shame on you..FIA..the sooner you leave the sport .. the better for all of its participants...

Torque isn't cheap
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: S500, C320, 330xi
RE: Sad Day

I think the tyres Michelin flew in from France were not safe enough either according to their own tyre experts. Michelin dropped the ball, it's not FIA's fault the world's biggest tyre company cannot make proper tyres.

The introduction of a chicane at last minute is not fair for those who brought proper equipment. It was said that Michelin runners agreed they receive no points for the race if a chicane was made. I really don't buy this because after the race, some lawyer at one of the teams would immediately launch an appeal for the points and try to exploit some loophole in the sporting regulations.

Indy is a bad race anyway. They should update Watkins Glen as a previous post said. Look on the bright side, Ferrari are back in the championship and it's not just Renault and McLaren..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in