post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 08:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 01 C320 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to loveofdriving
RE: USGP WTF!!!

Very very interesting statement from the FIA: http://formula1.com/news/3209.html

I was thinking this earlier, but now I'm sure that I place blame on the teams for not racing. Even if they were driving around turn 13 and 100mph, they should have been out there. I think the FIA is going to impose very stiff penalties to all the Michelin teams, and rightfully so. I wouldn't be against stripping all of them of all their constructor points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: Euro 280SE W116, Euro 500SEL W126, Euro 300TE W124
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to PANZR
(Thread Starter)

That would be interesting, can you imagine what would happen, these seven teams working together to make this decision has shown Bernie he can't control everything, dare the FIA run the risk of alienating these teams, if it was one or two teams maybe but not seven, although this new A1 Championship is not yet a serious threat as there's no Contructors Championship it doesn't mean there still can't be another viable alternative. Bernie needs McLaren, Williams, Renault etc they don't need him. I know it's been talked about off 'n' on for a long time but to be honest I'd love to see the main teams leave to seek life elsewhere just to see Darth Eccles empire crumble even if it mean't no racing for a number of years

It doesn't have a name...it's just a car
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 08:43 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 01 C320 Sport
Send a message via AIM to loveofdriving

Yea, wherever Renault, McLaren, and Williams are spending big bucks to race eachother, and the world's best racing drivers are in the cars, I'll be there. Even if it's not "F1".

Of course, if there's some kind of split, it could be very very bad. Look what happened to IRL and CART hear in the US. Neither product is as good as they were together, so people don't watch.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Good point, with more than one Formula potentially claiming to be the ultimate form of racing who would the people follow

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2005 C230 MT6

I was there!!! Took the first trip to an F1 race with my wife and enjoyed every minute of the race weekend up until the 7 teams pulled into the pits on Sunday. All the BS and politics aside I would still go to a formula 1 weekend again if I have the chance. If you're a fan and never been to an F1 race, YOU'VE GOT TO GO EXPERIENCE THE SIGHT AND SOUND!!! The sound of an F1 engine shooting pass you in the stand is undescribable. I hope F1 learns from this and move forward in the right direction.

2005 C230 Kompressor: 6 speeed manual, silver metallic, xenon lighting pkg, sunroof pkg
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Your very lucky (or unlucky depending on one's view), one of the most infamous days in F1 history and you were there, good stuff

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2005

What bothers me the most is that Michelin won't accept the blame for this. They want to blame Max Mosley, the FIA, Tony George, Ferrari and a host of others instead of admitting they f'd up. With all the long distance racing Michelin does, (24 hours at LeMans, Sebring, etc.) you'd think they would use that technology for making long lasting tires. Instead, they bring tires to a race that won't handle the speed for the amount of time required to finish the race. Instead, they want to change the rules in mid stream to suit themselves, to the detriment of the other supplier. I've read Max Mosley's Q & A and a statement from Paul Stoddart of Minardi. I would have to agree with Mosley on this issue.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 10:58 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
foxmo - 6/23/2005 12:11 PM

What bothers me the most is that Michelin won't accept the blame for this. They want to blame Max Mosley, the FIA, Tony George, Ferrari and a host of others instead of admitting they f'd up. With all the long distance racing Michelin does, (24 hours at LeMans, Sebring, etc.) you'd think they would use that technology for making long lasting tires. Instead, they bring tires to a race that won't handle the speed for the amount of time required to finish the race. Instead, they want to change the rules in mid stream to suit themselves, to the detriment of the other supplier. I've read Max Mosley's Q & A and a statement from Paul Stoddart of Minardi. I would have to agree with Mosley on this issue.

That simply isn't true. Michelin has publically admitted they screwed up. What they blame the FIA for is it's intransigence in the way it 'solved' the problem. There is no'safe-tyre' backup rule, read the regs. The FIA simply made it up justify the outcome they wanted to see- an embarassment of Michelin.

John
'80 500SE Euro '5.0 AMG'- 5.0 AMG engine, Gleason rear diff (still trying to find the ratio) and full aero kit. Stock interior. BBS RS133 8x16 3 piece wheels with Michelin XGT Z4 245/45-16 tires.

'78 450SLC milan brown metallic/bamboo leather
'80 300SD
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon

To clarify my last post, by the 'safe-tyre' rule I'm refering to the statement by Charlie Whiting that Michelin was obligated to offer it's teams one cutting edge tyre and a non-competetive but durable backup compound. This is pure bunk. The regulations simply state that the tyre supplier must offer each team no more than 2 choices of homogenous compound tyres. That's it- no 'safe' option, or even a requirement of 2 options, just no more than 2. Nothing prohibits them from offering just 1. Combined with his blaming of Michelin for Kimi's suspension failure (and not Kimi for flat spotting the tyre so badly or McLaren for keeping him out there) I suspect that we are seeing a very politically motivated attempt to slow down the Michelin runners by making them run harder compound tyres. Add in a little public humiliation to drive out Michelin all together and F1 gets what it wants- Bridgestone as the only supplier.

John
'80 500SE Euro '5.0 AMG'- 5.0 AMG engine, Gleason rear diff (still trying to find the ratio) and full aero kit. Stock interior. BBS RS133 8x16 3 piece wheels with Michelin XGT Z4 245/45-16 tires.

'78 450SLC milan brown metallic/bamboo leather
'80 300SD
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2005, 01:34 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: w126 420 sel

yes, i was thinking about that when watching, did you notice the sponsored banners at the usgp. they were all bridgestone banners. banners everywhere and i did not notice one michelin banner. i just think its a complicated mix of things as always.

1992 500E...more to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Mercedes-Benz Motorsports & Racing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in