Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1996 e320 trans about to blow up

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  GTO71 
#1 ·
So I have had this mechanic for two years now. He is very cheap as he just has a small shop and it is just him and one other person. I have had the car for two years now. Only less than 6 months of those two years has the car been usable. Rest of the time it has been in this guys garage. After pouring over as much tech info as I can about the car I am convinced my now ex mechanic really does not care about maintaining or fixing the finer points of the car. It currently sits dead in my driveway with 5 times the needed amount of ATF in the trans. Reverse has gone out twice in the last 7 months. I am convinced he does as little as he can to get it running again. I found an old manual for the car that illustrates how to check the ATF level. I did the test 3 times just to make sure the dip stick readings I got were not some hallucination. The amount of fluid in the trans is supposed to be exactly in between the stampings at the bottom of the dip stick. All 3 times the fluid level was 5 times what it was supposed to be. When I finally drove it home the last time it shifted not just hard but violently throwing me back and forth in my seat. I have since bought a good pump and tube system to get the level right.

#2 ·
Herndon Reston Transmission, Auto repair, Northern Virginia

I used this shop to replace the B1 and B2 seal on my 1996 E320 with the 722.329 transmission. The were very knowledgeable and were not scammers. I use to be a professional mechanic and hate outsourcing automotive work, when I have to I call around to find the right shop.

Several of the local euro shops stated they had to drop the trans, yada yada and wanted at least a grand for an hour and a half job.

This place did it quick and right the first time, they knew what they were talking about. They are next to one of those "high end" euro shops that has them do their transmissions.

Good luck and fix the car...I love my W210

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.