BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: May 2014
Vehicle: 2000 SLK 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Beware of the insurance company 's body shop

DRP fraud

My car was damaged in an accident. The at fault party's insurer was notified. As a third party, the claims department representative used the "lifetime warranty" language and steered me to their DRP body shop. Note, my entire state is void of MB certified collision centers.

During the repair, the DRP body shop discovered structural damage, however I wasn't notified of the unibody damage. The body shop and their partner hid the truth of the matter. Several days into the repair, the DRP shop put together a supplement request for the structural damage; however, I wasn't notified and the damage remains today. In regards to the structural damage, the insurer only granted a hour or two, so the DRP shop failed to restore the unibody and pocketed the money. The insurer granted money to spray corrosion protectant too, but instead the DRP shop hoped that I would not notice the unibody rust, and the DRP shop pocketed the "corrosion" money as well. The conduct continued and by the repairs end, the DRP body shop charged for R&I on items that were not installed.

I won't mention the list of shoddy repairs, nor the damaged items; however, I will note, the DRP body shop refused to consult the manufactures procedures and guidelines and ruined a host of parts. The body shop did not use the correct jigs and such, so they hammered the unibody near position or willfully ignored the damage. I can't tell, yet the crumpled structural component is rusty and the body dimensions are off. The core support is not square and plastic items under the bonnet show cracks and such. The car was repaired and returned with crumple zone damage, gaps in multiple panels, and further damage. The correct repairs on the Celette bench would have rendered the vehicle a total loss, so the body shop cut corners and failed to consult STARtek info.

I realize the duo did not tell me about the structural damage on purpose. I realize the sham, the insurance companies are pressuring their DRP shops to hide the unibody damage in their documents. My unibody suffers damage, but the body shop collected the money and ignored the problem. The car is not square, and the Mercedes-Benz does not allow laser measurements, nor do the publish their body dimensions.

The insurer doesn't care about their DRP partners fraudulent dealings. Surprisingly enough, the insurers body shop down played the importance of the unibody. The DRP shop collected the money but failed to preform. This is fraud. In the end, the insurer sent their post-repair inspector to examine the SLK and he confirmed the unibody damage in his post repair report. Nonetheless, the insurance company's post-repair inspector ignored a long list of damage, but because it's blatantly obvious, he noted the poor repairs and underlying structural damage.

Four months after the repair, the insurance company produced the "supplement estimate" and the post-repair report that proved the existence of the unibody damage. My receipt and final invoice does not reflect structural damage. I was unaware the supplement existed until the insurer doctored and/or produced the documents several months later.

In all, the DRP body shop saved the car from a total loss. At the very least, the DRP shop saved their partner (insurer) several thousand dollars, and still my unibody, crumple zone and frame was not restored. So, I caught the DRP shop was caught red handed. The body shop and the insurance company did not tell me about the unibody damage on purpose.

The DRP shop cut corners and paid no attention to the position statements and service bulletins. The public should watch out for unethical body shops and the DRP machine. The insurance company tried to repair my car per the insurance company's estimate. The statement is found on my final receipt.

Be careful and always employ MB certified collision centers, even if you have to travel across state lines. I will post my newly acquired MB estimate soon.

MB Position statements on structural repairs

Repair guidelines for replacing front end or wheelhouse

Assessing the steering gear when repairing a vehicle damaged in an accident
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: