LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
spin out testimonial- confused

I've been browsing this forum trying to figure out what caused my 1996 E320 Benz to spin out on the freeway but haven't found the answers. My dad does not believe my account of what happened but it is the truth. Please help if you've been through a similar experience! I'll make this short.

Two nights ago I was driving the car and it started making a loud clicking noise whenever I accelerated (kind of like the sound a roller coaster makes when it is about to take off down a large drop). I told my dad but he said it was nothing to worry about since it seemed to be coming from under the car and not the engine. Later that night, my two friends and I were driving on the freeway at 60mph when the car started sparking from the dashboard, smoking from the dashboard, and became un-maneuverable. I could not control it; it started spinning and veering far left, far right, and in between. I was turning the wheel hard to try to control it. It was headed straight head-on into the center divide when I slammed the brake and turned the key to off because I wanted anything but to slam into that divide.

We all got out of the car as soon as it stopped and waited on the side of the freeway. Two minutes later, because the car was perpendicular to the center divide with the rear sticking out into the fast lane, a speeding car in the fast lane hit my rear and veered across the freeway into another car.

I explain this in detail because my dad does not understand how there could have been sparks coming from the dash without leaving burn marks in the car. He also questions how the front bumper came off without me hitting anything. My airbag went off and no one else's did and this is also confusing since there was no front impact.

Needless to say, the car is totaled. I'm just really desperate in finding some answers to what caused this. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 1999 E 430
I'm really confused as to how this happened. All of the things that happened don't seem like they would be related, but obviously they were... Did you ever find any more info pr an explanation?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2011
(Thread Starter)
Nah, I haven't found the answer. And, I'm completely oblivious when it comes to cars so the fact that this happened to me is really confusing. My story is completely true- I have no reason to lie on an anonymous Benz forum. I would really like to know what happened but it's looking like it I will never know
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2001 SLK 320(199K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(172K Miles)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Based on the evidence described here, I would come to the following conclusion: Three young guys, speeding, lost control, hit center divider, thus damaging front bumper and deploying airbag.
I assume your dad came to the same conclusion.

Only two thing are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

Honest politicians are like UFOs. Most people believe that there must be some out there somewhere, but nobody has yet been able to prove their existence.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Speeding/out of control/crash/spin scenario most likely. Insurance company must of loved this one.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Dec 2010
Vehicle: 1989 560sec 6.0L AMG & Renntech
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
He's not going to last long on here, is he? Once upon a time I was driving a Gallardo and the accelerator just got stuck and somehow I wound up topping...er it...wound up topping out at 192mph...to this very day I don't know what caused the gas pedal to get stuck! Aww...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: SLR
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AMGViper
Check for damage under the front of the car between the two tires. Perhaps you hit something and didn't even notice it. Check your engine bay too for any signs of a potential fire or obvious electrical issue

But really, I agree with the others. sparks. A ticking noise, sparks coming out of the dash, a busted front bumper, and air bag deployment? You set your self up pretty bad for your dad questioning you lol You should have said a deer jumped out in front of you, and the only way to avoid having it decapitate you by coming in through the windshield was to hit a median
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: