BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 94 S320 4speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
E class side impact

This caused by drunk driver.
General info: Friends gather to remember teen at Irvine crash site | ashton - News - The Orange County Register
Specific info: 19 guilty pleas in collision suspect’s past | guilty, pleaded, farley - News - The Orange County Register
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Extremely sad story, my heart goes out the Sweet family. The Mercedes involved was a late model E class. This is not the first, for horrible results for side impact on the E class. You Tube has videos of side crash for E class and its not pretty at all.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
RE
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 2008 C300 Barolo Red P2 MM leather 18" AMGs new style folding mirrors + 1984 944
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeton View Post
Extremely sad story, my heart goes out the Sweet family. The Mercedes involved was a late model E class. This is not the first, for horrible results for side impact on the E class. You Tube has videos of side crash for E class and its not pretty at all.
Too old to have curtain bags which may have made a difference.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2016 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE View Post
This is a model with side airbag and it does not look that beaten up compared to it was hit by a pickup.

Even this is a sad story like any accident where innocent gets hurt or killed.

But was she wearing seat belt? if not you will be trown around inside the car and your injury will be worse...

Seat belt is the most effective safety feature of a car, the airbags cannot compensate for not using seat belts also on the rear seats...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2009 E63
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeton View Post
The Mercedes involved was a late model E class. This is not the first, for horrible results for side impact on the E class. You Tube has videos of side crash for E class and its not pretty at all.
You know what they say, if you want a bad education then learn from internet forums.

I just spent over an hour and a half trying to find data to confirm "this is not a first, for horrible results for side impact of the E Class."

I also searched YouTube for videos. There was one. The IIHS video. Then I went to their website (I pasted what they say below.) Then I went to EuroNCAP (5 stars for pre-2009.) And then NHTSA. NHTSA lists side impact as 5 stars with thoracic trauma index as 39 and pelvis deceleration as 47 for the front occupants, and for the rear occupants as 48 for thoracic trauma index and 50 as the pelvis deceleration.

There was little mentioned in the OP's news article links about the specifics of the accident and the damage to the vehicle. However, it was said that the driver survived fine but that the girl who passed away (later after the accident from brain damage) was a rear seat passenger. The driver did state that the truck hit towards the rear of the side of the car. In light of what IIHS said about the rear passenger during a side impact crash (versus the driver side), the odds of surviving should be higher. Also see the above NHTSA numbers. Ironically, the driver survived and the rear passenger did not in this specific accident. The driver was "treated at the hospital and released." btw, there was mention by one of the Mercedes occupants (in a related link from that newspaper) that they heard the truck driver accelerate at the last minute as it ran into the rear side of the car.

The point being, that this accident occurred (all accidents are unique and tests can only replicate one specific accident used in testing), and accident investigators from both the insurance companies and MBUSA will determine the specifics in this case and what caused the injuries that led to the fatality. Again, all accidents are unique.

The W211 E Class has an acceptable rating from IIHS (and a good from NHTSA) for driver's side impact accidents. The driver may very well receive broken ribs and/or pelvis, and/or some internal injuries according to their test case. The rear passenger should fare pretty well according to their test case. In fact, there is a low risk. What caused the young rear passenger to receive injuries that were fatal to her? The investigators will determine that.

But to say, "This is not the first, for horrible results for side impact on the E class. You Tube has videos of side crash for E class and its not pretty at all" is knee jerk crap and is why you shouldn't get your education from a car forum. Or at least please point someone to data where it shows that the E Class has a history of fatal side impacts that are higher than other similar size and weight vehicles. Don't depend on others (and that includes info from my post), and instead do your own research and come to your own conclusion.

Mercedes E class
2007-08 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH STANDARD SIDE AIRBAGS

OVERALL EVALUATION: Acceptable
Injury measures Head protection Structure/safety cage
Head/neck Torso Pelvis/leg
Driver Good Marginal Acceptable Good Acceptable
Rear passenger Good Good Good Good

Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Test details:

The Mercedes E class was re-engineered for the 2007 model year with an emphasis on improving occupant protection in side impact crashes. In the Institute's initial test of a 2007 model, the car was rated Acceptable, primarily because of high forces recorded on the driver dummy's torso.

Beginning with 2007 models manufactured after May 2007, changes to the front door trim panels were made to further improve occupant protection in side impact crashes, so a test of the improved design was conducted (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). This test showed some reduction of the forces on the driver dummy's torso, but not enough to change the torso injury rating or the overall rating. Therefore the ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Injury measures:

Driver — In both tests, measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. In the first test, internal organ injuries would also be possible.

Rear passenger — In both tests, measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.

Head protection:

Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.

Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the door.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2009 E63
p.s., here's a report from IIHS. It's pertinent in the context of this particular accident since it involved a pickup truck.

"Among crash deaths, the percentage of deaths from side impacts has been increasing. The institute gives two reasons: improved front impact safety, which has reduced the number of front impact deaths, and the popularity of SUVs and large pickups. Taller vehicles like SUVs and tall trucks increase the risk to car occupants because they strike cars higher up on the body and away from stiff structures that can help resist the crushing force of the impact. Taller vehicles also strike closer to the heads of those in a lower vehicle like a car."

As far as data aside from the individual test data from IIHS, NHTSA, and EuroNCAP, the manufacturers also have real-world crash data not only in the US, but worldwide. They investigate all serious injury and fatal accidents along with insurance agencies. In fact, Volvo brings in cars from accidents to their safety center to analyze them:

"Volvo has conducted its own accident research since 1969, a program that is now an integrated part of the Group’s product development. In conjunction with a traffic accident involving a heavy vehicle, representatives of the accident research team are sent out to investigate the cause and site of the accident. The information collected is analyzed and experience from the accident investigation board’s work is then used in product development."
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
side impact

Well, I was T-boned into the drivers side of my 2009 W211 by I car going full speed:

side curtains deployed, driver's door would not open, but myself fine.

MB body shop said they investigate every side impact to verify the door (by design) still door opens, so I guess in my case that was unusual.

$20k to fix

solid car I would say!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: '03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
6.2AMG.

Thanks for going through the extra effort to set the record straight. I, for one, appreciate it.

Safety, that's one of the many reasons I drive a Mercedes.

Regarding the accident from the OP. Very unfortunate for all. And as a father to a 16 yo girl, more reason to give her an extra hug tonight.

My condolences to her family and friends.

Mike K.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1999 E320
Irvine...something like this happens every month. People drink and think they're invincible, especially the kids.

I went to Northwood High, mostly rich kids. Would explain the nice Benz.

There was an accident about half a mile from my house about a month ago in South Irvine...weird that the fatality was a girl that used to babysit me when I was younger.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2004 E500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE View Post
nope mine is an 04' and i have side curtain and seat and rear door airbag option
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in