LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
HELP!! Safety b/w 94 E320 or a 98 Subaru Forester

I have to make up my mind by the morning. Hence why I cant sleep. Found a great deal on the Forester today and it did well in the garage inspection, but I cant get that darn Mercedes out of my mind. Dealer will sell for $4500 CDN I love them. Anyway, which one should I get?? Im mostly concerned about my precious cargo in the back seat. Went on the NHTSA sites, didnt gleen to much info from them. Coudl some one please tell me which will be the safest...Moneys riding on the Benz, but we are supposed to have the worst winter in 50 years which means we will be snowbound.... Chinese or Indian take away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
OOOh God I hope one of you wakes up that knows his stuff. Havent gone to sleep yet, running comparisons on the 2 vehicle..........T minus 5 hours counting till the seller (s) call EEk wake up Benz people, wake up! Think its a w124 body??
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 300CE-24, W204 C220 CDI, W210 E55 AMG, W124 300TE, W163 ML270 CDI
Send a message via MSN to Mcmerc01
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloosey View Post
OOOh God I hope one of you wakes up that knows his stuff. Havent gone to sleep yet, running comparisons on the 2 vehicle..........T minus 5 hours counting till the seller (s) call EEk wake up Benz people, wake up! Think its a w124 body??
Hope you bought the merc.... It was a W124 body, is more solid than the Subaru and although the suby is safe and all wheel drive, the Benz will feel more planted on the road, not to mention more comfortable. It is overall a larger car too so that enhances the safety aspect. It has a good motor, a 3.2 6 cylinder as opposed to the Subaru's boxer 4. Might be a bit late now...
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Great minds think alike! Haven't bought anything. Im having a hard time moving away from a Benz. I think its in my blood now. That performance tank feel is hard to replace, other vehicles feel like cheap plastic toys ....Almost ended up in a ditch on the weekend trying out a 1989 300TE wagon (Japanese import)...bad shape. So my search continues....However, I have decided to have my mechanic price out fixing my 1986 300E. The transmission is almost gone and the ABS brakes are grinding. I will find out today the cost of repair and whether it is worth fixing. He did say a used tranny is about 1700 and has a 3 month replacement warranty on it. ......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Great minds think alike! Haven't bought anything. Im having a hard time moving away from a Benz. I think its in my blood now. That performance tank feel is hard to replace, other vehicles feel like cheap plastic toys ....Almost ended up in a ditch on the weekend trying out a 1989 300TE wagon (Japanese import)...bad shape. So my search continues....However, I have decided to have my mechanic price out fixing my 1986 300E. The transmission is almost gone and the ABS brakes are grinding. I will find out today the cost of repair and whether it is worth fixing. He did say a used tranny is about 1700 and has a 3 month replacement warranty on it. ......
Well to put it this way, Steer right away from Japanese Imports, they are generally in bad nick. The mileage must be high on your 86 300E for the gearbox to have to be rebuilt. A gearbox rebuild is generally not a big fuss. its the 722 series 4 spd transmission. As for the brakes, I believe your brake pads might need to be replaced, again no big deal. The ABS is fine unless you see an ABS light on the dash. If I were you, I would keep the 86 merc if the motor is good, has a lower mileage, and there doesn't appear to have any rust spots or body damage.
The gear box is your biggest issue, but don't worry too much

If your keen enough on buying another car, take a look at a late model 300E- so around the early-mid 90's. I can't really recommend much else for the price that you could bag a W124 mercedes for. good luck!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The odometer is stuck at 195K miles on the 300E, I have no idea how long its been at that setting. Bought the car in May for 3K, only to discover the transmission was shot a week later. I hope to hear back from my Mercedes mechanic on his diagnosis of the car. It's a bit of a toss up when the miles are that high, body etc is good, no rust...tough tank of a car...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
The odometer is stuck at 195K miles on the 300E, I have no idea how long its been at that setting. Bought the car in May for 3K, only to discover the transmission was shot a week later. I hope to hear back from my Mercedes mechanic on his diagnosis of the car. It's a bit of a toss up when the miles are that high, body etc is good, no rust...tough tank of a car...
Well a gearbox rebuild of the 4 sp auto shouldn't be too bad. It might be a tad expensive, but not as much as you may think. After the rebuild, it will never again be of an issue. Check all the vital fluids, check the electrics and as for the odometer, it may just need to be calibrated from the back which requires removing the fascia. Not too much of a job, even if it means replacing components. 195k miles is a hell of a lot of miles, but nontheless, the motor is generally strong so have the mechanic give it a very good servicing, check the harnesses and the belts. After this, the car shouldn't give any problems. I've seen 500k on the W124 Mercs so don't fret
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 1984 190D 2.2
Hope you got the Mercedes. Pretty much any asian import is no good, though you may hear otherwise. Notice how many old Mercedes you see on the road compared to other imports...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks GUys!! Kept the Benz!! Had the tranny replaced, now the mechanic hears a minor knocking and is concerned abut the fuel injectors. He added something with the gas and said to try this for a few weeks and hopefully all will be well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in