AMG Wheel - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by markbsae View Post
Sounds to me like you need to go buy a honda civic with 15" rims and 60 series tires and STFU.

"L" on the forehead for loser.

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

Sponsored Links
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Mar 2010
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do have some engineering background, and based on the way that wheel deformed around the fracture, he has to have run over something, either a large rock or a piece of metal debris. The foreign object deformed the tire inward toward the wheel rim, and then deformed the wheel rim to the point that it fractured. You can clearly see a conical deformity around the fracture in the video.

If the wheel had a metallurgy defect, it would have fractured at the joints between the spokes and the rim, because those are the weakest points in the wheel and the points of greatest stress. I've seen this happen before, on some ultralight racing wheels.

On the SUV forums we've been dealing with this for a long time, with wheels 22 inches and larger. If you go to a tire with a lower profile than 45 series, then you either get careful about what you drive over, or you plan on paying for wheel repair or a new wheel every so often.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 00 W202, 04 955 S, 08 e90
Send a message via AIM to osdesierto Send a message via Yahoo to osdesierto
The wheel that ws split in half is not an AMG wheel like yours. I believe you hit a massive pothole.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
When I look at the video, I can see an impression of something on the tire where the burst is... so yeah, you hit something and its your wifes fault.

The reason I completely throw out this argument you try to make is that my car is fitted with AMG wheels in 3 pieces bolted together and they are perfect, even after the 17 years they spent on the Autobahns in Europe and on US/Canadian roads. There is no single bend or crack in them

The other wheel you showed was a junk replica wheel, the real wheels which I believe Brabus has Ronal manufacture are used on record breaking Brabus cars which head up to nearly 360KMH with no problems at all. And again Ronal has been around for years...

You have no case at all, and if you think Mercedes USA is even going to consider designing different wheels you are highly mistaken.

1994 SL500 6.0 AMG - too many modifications to list
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2010
Patels always expect something for free.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: W210--2006 E350 4matic, 2008 S550
I had a similar problem with my 2008 S-550. Could not remember hitting a pothole or road debris. I didn't like it but I bought the new wheel. Sometimes logic has to overcome the need to point the finger at someone else.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1980 300TD Estate
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
instead of DOT maybe DOThead?

80 300TD
86 560SEC
87 420SEL
89 560SL
90 420SEL
91 300E
92 300E
00 430CLK AMG
06 S600
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2013
Vehicle: 2006 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by johndough View Post
I had a similar problem with my 2008 S-550. Could not remember hitting a pothole or road debris. I didn't like it but I bought the new wheel. Sometimes logic has to overcome the need to point the finger at someone else.
I purchased a 2006 S55 AMG in Germany and had it shipped here. All original wheels. I have been driving since is was 15 and have never had a cracked wheel. The first happened out in the middle of no where on a nice freeway. I replaced the wheel but had to have it bussed to me in Portland. Mercedes claimed this was very unusual. 2nd wheel cracked in Seattle. Two weeks ago I put on new tires. One week ago I put on new rear tires. The pressure was correct. Last week I had another cracked wheel. Called the sales person and was told she had never heard of such a problem. Talked to service and they said it was very unusual. I went home and found that there are AMG cracked wheel complains all over the web. There was even a class action lawsuit filed a few years ago, the results of which I have not yet found.
Fact is, Mercedes used a very light, very brittle material for the wheels. They are not suitable for normal city driving and are dangerous for high speed driving. Rather than warn thier customers, they blame them. While I do not expect my S55 AMG to be engineered for off road operation, it should be designed for normal city and highway driving.
I am 67 years old, do not drive off road, do not race and have only put 89000 miles on this car and have had 3 cracked wheels. I do not have to be an engineer to understand that these wheels were not designed to handle the weight of this car under normal operation.
It appears that most of the people replying to these posts work for Mercedes. Same on you for denying the facts and blaming your customers.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 2009 e350 sport
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Having read extensively here about issues with AMG wheel and low profile tires I have come to the conclusion that this combination can become expensive compared to its opposite. I acquired an E350 09 , sport with AMG wheels and right off the bat there was an annoying vibration at about 60mph. I took the car to the dealers hoping a tire balance would cure the issue , only to be told that one of the rims was slightly bent and had to be sent out for straightening. WTH I thought! Set me back 195 bucks. Now the Vibration is at 70mph! At 20mph I get a wruh...wruh...wruh sound that decreases as speed increases. This is still under investigation. I am the third owner and one of the things I also noticed about the rims is that they appear to be all repainted evidenced , I think , by the paint pealing at certain spots.
Were these rims whacked at one time , pot holes or otherwise? Repaired using a torch to soften and reshape? ( I watched youtube video about this).
So how is this issue affecting my driving habit? Well more so than ever I avoid as much as possible ,imperfections on roads , man holes, pot holes , debris.
I am teaching my daughter to drive in this car and believe me ,I have her trained especially on the roads we frequent. When one considers a tire for this car is in excess of $250 , not to mention the cost of the rim., for me it raises my eye brows.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: