2 Ramps + 2 jack stands = bad idea ?? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1981 380SL - Lorinser bodykit w/16x7 LOs - AKA "Frau Blau"(Lady Blue)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
There was a thread that I was looking at not too long ago that had a metal version of that. Real slick, the front part was stationary and the rear portion dropped down so you could drive up on it. There was a crossmember on the rear that had a jacking point, so you drove up, put the car in park, got out and jacked up the back section then locked the rear supports in place. About $1K. And I can't find the damn thing now...or remember the name of it.
I'll keep looking and post a link if I can find it...

"If you don't know what you're looking for it's kind of hard to find it!"

If it helps America through it's current crisis, I say go ahead! We can take it, after all we're Canadian!

Blame Canada!!
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2006 B 200 & Audi A6..
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
The red JT products look great and safe.

....but I'm not a fan of working on any sloped driveway.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2006 S500, 2002 CLK320, 1980 300SD Turbo, 1995 C220, 2003 ML350, Kawasaki Ninja 500R, Yamaha YZF600R
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Well I worked out my car last weekend with two ramps up front, two back up jackstands in the front and two jack stands in the back with a floor jack under the diff.

I felt fine and everything felt solid.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a pair of 3 ton jack stands collapse under my 1980 280se. Not a pretty sight and I was glad I was just testing the set on the stands by rocking the car. I always put pressure on the car in all directions to make sure they are set. I borrowed my neighbors Snap On 6 or 12 ton (don't remember, but they were huge) I bought some 6 ton stands. The thing I like about the bigger stands is that they are wider in all directions so they are much more stable. If you are working on blacktop it is a good idea to make 4 squares out of some 5/8ths plywood to set the stands on.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 00 CLK 430
i ALWAYS put my jack stands in the control arm finding a spot that the jack stand arms bind in the control arm. the frame is ok is the jackstand is sideways with the frame wedged in the arm but never put it on a frame especially subframes where the metal is smooth because the car will slide on the jackstands when you lift the car from other angles. ramps are ok as long as you slowly lift the car up from the rear axle and watch your wheels on the jack to make sure they roll forward with every pump of your jack. if the jack wheels are not moving that means the cars front wheels are and thats bad news for someone behind the car jacking it up lol.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 00 CLK 430
miatapaul, i respectfully disagree with the part about the wood under the jackstands. wood can collapse very easily with the jackstands slim legs (they dig into the wood)and create a very bad situation. unless there is fear of a sink hole i would trust the rough black top as it would keep the stands from sliding as well.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:27 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1997 S420
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:45 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2007 GL450
i have to agree with the plywood idea. I have had smaller floor jacks dig into the asphalt on hot days here in mississippi. Of course that was when i was using them on our dodge diesel... I was jacking up the truck to put the stands under her and the wheels dug in to the ground to the frame of the jack. plywood isnt going to split and collapse as easily as the hot asphalt. i've got a concrete driveway now, so its not ever an issue anymore....
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: http://www.autoguide.com
Nice to way to convey your message in terms of equation. Well, that was a bad idea, you have to check the number of ramps required before the order has been placed.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: W111 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I also had some bad experiences with jack stands collapsing. Once I've lifted the car I shake it to see if it's secure and then I usually try to put some stuff under it (like wheels, timber etc.) to make sure there is still enough space between the car and the ground for me to be safe under it in case it collapses. keep in mind that the car will start collapsing with a lateral motion so having a jack as a safety may not be best as it may fall due to the car moving sideways first.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: