Which one is the safest Benz? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2016 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzW113 View Post
I guess, but the structure of the S class is far stiffer I believe

and Mercedes probably put down a lot more money developing the safety consept of the S class

the S class have cutting places for the firedepartment, the GL dont
I was under the impression that all newer cars have the cutting instructions as all the airbags and sensors are located in various places and the FD needs to know where to cut without causing any danger to occupants and them self, anyways most MB cars are safe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
You guys are ALL wrong!! the S-Class W140 (1991 - 1999) isby far the most safest car out there! Its litrally like a tank, with the double-pane windows and solid 2,5 ton build.. See the crash test for it on youtube, it was tested against an opel corsa.. The corsa was a write off with any occupants dead.. The S-Class W140 did not even crack the windscreen.. Passenger cabin was completely intact, now that is pure safety!!

Not to mention safe agains "Smash & Grab" and Hijacking, as the criminals cannot easily break the windows.. If anybody tried to block you in, you could RAM them out the way and the S-Class will still be drivable to make your escape

S-Class W140, even the W221 does not feel as solid..
bnZE430/1999 likes this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2016 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaDON View Post
You guys are ALL wrong!! the S-Class W140 (1991 - 1999) isby far the most safest car out there! Its litrally like a tank, with the double-pane windows and solid 2,5 ton build.. See the crash test for it on youtube, it was tested against an opel corsa.. The corsa was a write off with any occupants dead.. The S-Class W140 did not even crack the windscreen.. Passenger cabin was completely intact, now that is pure safety!!

Not to mention safe agains "Smash & Grab" and Hijacking, as the criminals cannot easily break the windows.. If anybody tried to block you in, you could RAM them out the way and the S-Class will still be drivable to make your escape

S-Class W140, even the W221 does not feel as solid..
No doubt that the W140 is safe, but to test it against an Opel Corsa does not prove that it is the safest, a lot has changed in new safety features and steel options, to I'm pretty sure that is you crash the W140 against the W221 will come out better for the occupants.

It is also important that the car can will act correct during a maneuver to avoid an accident both active and passive safety is important
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
You guys are ALL wrong!! the S-Class W140 (1991 - 1999) isby far the most safest car out there!
Ah yes, the car in which Princess Diana was killed! One survivor out of four.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ook-death.html

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI

Last edited by lkchris; 05-03-2011 at 02:41 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM
~BANNED~

Vehicle: 2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
hahahahaha, dont be a hater! Or be a hater, its up to you lol!!

Yes that statement is half true.. But that one survivor was the only one wearing a seatbelt, that is why he did survive.

Had Diana, Dodi, and the Driver been wearing seatbelts, I trully belive that atleast Diana AND Dodi would have survived..

W140 is still the strongest built car ever, put against a W221 it would smash the W221 beyond recognition, while occupants in both vehicles would all still be alive becasue both are Benz`s that have various saftey features..

All these new Benz`s are made like formula 1 cars, that explode into hundereds of pieces during a collistion in an effort to save the driver.. I prefer to drive away from fender benders thank you, not have to be towed. Where other softer Benz`s the whole engine would drop to the floor..
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
hahahahaha, dont be a hater! Or be a hater, its up to you lol!!

Yes that statement is half true.. But that one survivor was the only one wearing a seatbelt, that is why he did survive.

Had Diana, Dodi, and the Driver been wearing seatbelts, I trully belive that atleast Diana AND Dodi would have survived..

W140 is still the strongest built car ever, put against a W221 it would smash the W221 beyond recognition, while occupants in both vehicles would all still be alive becasue both are Benz`s that have various saftey features..

All these new Benz`s are made like formula 1 cars, that explode into hundereds of pieces during a collistion in an effort to save the driver.. I prefer to drive away from fender benders thank you, not have to be towed. Where other softer Benz`s the whole engine would drop to the floor..
Exactly, that is why you probably have a higher chance to survive in a W221 than W140, strong like a tank does not mean that you will survive, it is all about the deceleration e.g. the g-forces your body and internal organs are exposed too.

Of course if you are in an old small eco box without the safety cage/structure you might not be able to survive anyway.

I believe that the W140 is a safe car but a lot has changed in structures and different steels to absorb the different forces that occur during a crash.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:54 AM
BenzWorld Elitist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
An S-Class, almost any S-Class since the W126.

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: '03 Z4, '02 E55, '11 ML350
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel pretty safe in my W210 E55 but that doesn't mean I drive like some of the idiots out there, testing the laws of physics.

BTW Marsden, interesting photo there. Any info you can share on the car? Brabus Monoblock V's? Early AMG front air dam? Just curious.

I'm not sure of the rest of you, but traveling the highways, I'd have the most confidence in the E and S classes. With a definite thumbs up on the W140.

Cheers !!

Mike K.
bnZE430/1999 likes this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mercedes is more or less the leading car company in the world and makes real advancements all the time. Not a lot of reason to think anything but the latest is the safest. I'd rate the W140 the safest 1990s car there is.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1985 190E 2.3-16
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
60's-70's 600 Grosser.

Aside from being stout, it's big, visible, noticable, and intimidating - you're much less likely to have an accident at all. There is a lot to be said for intimidation - I've noticed that when I'm out in my Ford F350, with crew cab and dually rear, my fellow motorists are decidedly more polite. They don't pull out in front of it, don't cut it off, don't tailgate it. With a curb weight of 9300 pounds, it's not a vehicle you want running into you. The safest accident is the one you don't have.

Besides, when you look at the list of dictators and despots who have owned a Grosser, people would think twice about getting near it - they might end up on the wrong end of a death squad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in