BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 500 SEC AMG Mod'd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 500SEC_AMG
(Thread Starter)
420 SEL and 3 elk and odd fait

I am not sure if this qualifies for an accident but as for a testimonial it is. I was on a 2 month 20,000 mile trip in my 86 420SEL with my GF travelling around North America. When I hit the mountains in BC I started to feel a light thumping at 160 km/h after 30 sec I pulled over and saw that my tire was completely shredded. I couldn't believe that I had complete control at that speed with a shredded tire. While switching to the Conti full size spare I noticed that my pads were worn down at the rear so I decided to order all new rotors and pads.

Part 2
I could have left the 1 worn pad and not fussed but despite the fact that I was in getting close to the Arctic Circle I knew I had to change all the brakes, it bugged me and something inside was telling me it was a sign that the tire blew and I could see the worn pad. So I ordered all new top of the line pads and German drilled Zimmer rotors (stunning quality) and in Calgary I slaved for 10hrs to change the brakes and free up the rusty . The GF was not pleased with me spending $600 on brakes in the middle of a expensive trip, but I knew I had to change them.

Part 3
The next day we head for Yellowstone via Montana, that night as I am driving through some beautiful mountain roads a family of 4 horses jumps out in front of my 420 SEL, I hit the brakes and stopped a yard from these spooked beasts, the next day at midnight I am driving through Yellow Stone doing 90km/h completely unaware how many animals live in this park, as another car came toward me I dipped my headlights blinded for a second I flip the high beams back on, sure as shit it was like a woodland surprise party with 3 Elk 20 meters in front of us and no place to swerve. I hit the brakes on those drilled zimmers so hard I could feel all the blood rush to my face, I stopped 1 friggen inch from 2 big elk that would have went right through our windscreen. The belt tensioners worked and the brakes stopped better then any car new or old I have ever driven (2 new tires helped too).

Part 4
I forgot to mention I also installed a Awooga Clacton style horn on my car that scares deer away like magic GET ONE if you live in deer country. We sighted at least 100 tiny deer at night in the mountains on the way to Cody S Dakota.
In the end the stopping power of the w126 while fully loaded is stunning and would make a great care for a family or teens.
Get the drilled Zimmers if you can get them.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 87 300SL "Roadster" 86 420SEL "Limo" 89 420SEL The "New" Limo 87 190E 2.6 fact bodykit
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I agree I found my SEL brakes were improved by a HUGE margin when i fitted a set of slotted Ate powerdiscs.

"That's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live forever"- Lemmy

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When I read this post it made me miss my W126. They're fun cars to drive.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 500 SEC AMG Mod'd
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 500SEC_AMG
(Thread Starter)
friends let me tell you, I put those zimmers on and I will never buy any other rotor again. I am stunned how many of my friends have substandard brakes and it blows my mind that people let these things go. Oh HID headlights are a must too

500 SEC Euro Classic White repaired!!
1987 Japanese 500 SEL Tri Ys and Velour
2000 CLK 430
Collector of Vinyl
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: