LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 95 S320 ,02 ML 500, 98 E320 wagon 4 matic(SOLD), 00 CL500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
What about the S-class where Diana was in, in Paris 10 years ago?
frontseat driver who was closer to the collision spot was wearing a seatbelt and walked away.Diana was not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedsdmd View Post
frontseat driver who was closer to the collision spot was wearing a seatbelt and walked away.Diana was not
Walking barely, wasn't he in the hospital for a long time?

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1985 380SL
1985 380SL Safety

I know it is an older one, however, I was while stopped on the Freeway for traffic contol a late model Nissan hit me doing well over 55. The impace knocked my stereo out of the tray, dislodged the little buttons on the needles in the gauges, and opened my glove box. I sat there thinking well, when I get out and look, I just know there won't be anything left from the rear to just behind the door. I wasn't even sure if my doors would open. I pulled on the door handle, the door opened smoothly, my car had slightly crumpled just above the rear wheel wells as well as popped opened the truck and bent in the rear bumper. All in all, not too bad damage. His car? Totaled. There was nothing left from his front bumper to the rear of the door jam. He had to climb out of the broken window, he had chemical burns from the explosion of the airbags.
My 380SL ended up in the Mercedes shop for 8 weeks (I'm extremely pickey and wouldn't accept the car until it was PERFECT again). Even putting the car on a lift, you can't tell it was ever damaged.
My husband was impressed, and so was I. Here is a little car 23 years old and it held up better than a new one.
Oh yes, I don't have airbags, since I have the signature edition with the custom steering wheel.
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:55 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuemock View Post
I know it is an older one, however, I was while stopped on the Freeway for traffic contol a late model Nissan hit me doing well over 55. The impace knocked my stereo out of the tray, dislodged the little buttons on the needles in the gauges, and opened my glove box. I sat there thinking well, when I get out and look, I just know there won't be anything left from the rear to just behind the door. I wasn't even sure if my doors would open. I pulled on the door handle, the door opened smoothly, my car had slightly crumpled just above the rear wheel wells as well as popped opened the truck and bent in the rear bumper. All in all, not too bad damage. His car? Totaled. There was nothing left from his front bumper to the rear of the door jam. He had to climb out of the broken window, he had chemical burns from the explosion of the airbags.
My 380SL ended up in the Mercedes shop for 8 weeks (I'm extremely pickey and wouldn't accept the car until it was PERFECT again). Even putting the car on a lift, you can't tell it was ever damaged.
My husband was impressed, and so was I. Here is a little car 23 years old and it held up better than a new one.
Oh yes, I don't have airbags, since I have the signature edition with the custom steering wheel.

Japanese build origami cars with wafer thin bodywork.

'05 W211
'01 R170
'97 W202
'92 W201(gone, due to old age, 11 years of good use)
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1970 280se
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuemock View Post
So I guess that makes my 1970 280se a anti aircraft tank....I don't consider many new cars safe,light yes,but its like driving a soda can reinforced with plastic
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 350sdl
(Thread Starter)
Last friday night at a party I met an insurance claims adjuster. I posed my questions, which have been bothering me for a long time, more so since they provoked such hostility here.

So for those interested, I asked him, Why do owners of Toyota Prius's end up paying 20% less in injury claims than S class drivers? And why are Ford 500's rated higher for safety by the insurance institute than S classes?

He quickly replied that he wasn't an authority but that his best guess was that like Hairy Ben said, people who drive Toyota Prius's are a breed of people not exactly known for leaving rubber all over the highway. Whearas S class drivers . . . . Furthermore, he believed that S classes were more likely to have more than 1 person riding in them than Prius's which would dramatically alter claim amounts.

As for the S class not recieving 5 stars like the Ford 500, it's simply a matter of the cars being too valuable to test properly.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1999 S320 LWB - Silver, 1999 S320 LWB - Blue
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feeling Safer

I'm a Benz newbie. Bought a used '99 S320 about three months ago because I loved the comfort of the ride. Just put new tires on it, and love it even more.

After reading these safety posts on the S-Class, I'm even more pleased with my purchase. While I'm not anxious to get into an accident, I feel better hearing about other testimonials to thier safety!

I didn't know I could fall in love with a car, but it's happening.....
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:16 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 2007 CLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by templeton View Post
Diana didn't wear a seat belt. The only person who wore a seat beat in that crash survived. Mercedes can only do so much, the rest is up to us.
You also have to consider something called "Sudden Deceleration Syndrome" - Going from 100mph (or whatever speed Diana's car was going) to zero in a split second will result in tremendous internal trauma, regardless of trauma on the outside of the body. I've know skiers to die from that, when the only other injuries they would have sustained were broken legs. The problem is, their legs are what stopped their progress the moment they hit whatever object they ran into. The human body can only take so much, and Mercedes can only do so much, but they seem to do it very well in most instances.

Just avoid driving into immovable objects like bridge abutments...
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 2000 CLK 320 Cabrio
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdragon View Post
What about the S-class where Diana was in, in Paris 10 years ago?
Recall that the only occupant wearing a seatbelt was also the lone survivor.

Cheers
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:30 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2009
I know that I and my brother who was a passenger would have been either dead or seriously injured if not for my old benz, a 1985 380 SEC. We were stationary at traffic lights, my foot on the brakes, behind 4 other cars at the lights, when a maniac in a 2009 toyota Echo impacted at approximately 80 - 90kmh. Because of the impact my foot slipped of the brake and we were forced into the car in front on so and so on until the 4th car was impacted by the 3rd. The Holden (GM) statesman in front of me was crushed to it's rear seats and so on and so on to the front car. Every person in the rear three cars was injured to some extent and the only thing that saved said maniac's life was he was waring his seat belts and all airbags deployed, his car was totalled. No airbags my car and my brother and I had Whiplash injuries only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in