LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can I sue Mercedes?

I own a 07 c230 and i was recently in a car accident. I hit another car head on on the shoulder on the highway. I was almost at a complete stop when he hit me ( i estimate he was going under 30mph) and my hood and bumper got destroyed. The problem is that my airbags did not deploy while the other guys did deploy even though it was a head on and the force of the crash separated our cars by over 100 feet. I was not seriously hurt but I am wondering why the airbags didnt deploy and if i can pursue legal action against Mercedes for this (like maybe replace my car)? I already talked to my dealership without them seeing the car and they told me that there wasnt enough force for the airbags to deploy. Does anybody have any advice or tips on what i should do? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:32 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '79 450 SLC
Send a message via MSN to B-McD
Do nothing. You have no case against Mercedes. Just because the other cars airbags deployed does not reflect as a lesser quality of Mercedes because yours did not. I have never heard of anyone bragging about the low speeds at which it takes it their airbags to deploy. Airbags are not the first safety feature in a Benz. The old W126 uses over a 100 safety features in high speed crashes.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: UNIMOG
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via AIM to JMPhotography
You say you hit someone, but also you say "hen he hit me".

So what happened? Did you hit someone or did someone hit you? And at what speed? Stopped or 30mph? You need to be more clear.

Airbags do not always go off IIRC, it depends on the circumstances.

Jack Miles
1987 Mercedes-Benz 190e 2.3-16
1963 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404.115 Turbodiesel
1963 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404.115
1961 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 404.114
1978 Mercedes Benz L1116
1987 Mercedes Benz L1319
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite921 View Post
I own a 07 c230 and i was recently in a car accident. I hit another car head on on the shoulder on the highway. I was almost at a complete stop when he hit me ( i estimate he was going under 30mph) and my hood and bumper got destroyed. The problem is that my airbags did not deploy while the other guys did deploy even though it was a head on and the force of the crash separated our cars by over 100 feet. I was not seriously hurt but I am wondering why the airbags didnt deploy and if i can pursue legal action against Mercedes for this (like maybe replace my car)? I already talked to my dealership without them seeing the car and they told me that there wasnt enough force for the airbags to deploy. Does anybody have any advice or tips on what i should do? Thanks
Do I understand you correctly?

You did hit another car.
Your Mercedes did prevent you from being seriously hurt.
And now you want sue Mercedes-Benz in order to get a new car to replace the car you destroyed on your own?

I cannot understand your arguments?????

Further-on, the airbags only deploy to prevent serious hurt or death. They do not deploy if the angle of attack is in away the airbags would not help or to prevent minor hurt. The reason:
First, their is also a risk of being hurt by the airbags, and if the risk of hurt due to the impact for the passenger is only minor, it makes no sense to deploy the airbags.
Second, consider in an accident a set of impacts. You bump quite lightly into a car and then your car turns around and bumbs again a tree. When do you want the airbags deployed? So also for this reason the airbags do only deploy at a VERY heavy impact in order that in case of several impacts your car has they save your life at the time it is needed.

Do not sue Mercedes but write them a letter and thank them that you are not hurt and second that you do not have to pay the cost to replace deployed airbags.

Greetings

Dirk
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:17 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 2005 CLK 500, 2000 Honda Civic, 2000 Ford Taurus Purple Stationwagon
Send a message via AIM to noncam
You'd probably have better luck asking this question at a BMW forum. Right now you're burning trees at a Ralph Nader convention.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2007 R320 CDI
So you were in an accident. Presumably you were not hurt (you make no mention of any injuries) and your airbags did not deploy.

This is a problem? You just saved several grand (or your insurance co. did) by the fact that the airbags don't need to be replaced.

Accident: bad.
No injury: good.
No airbag replacement: good.

On balance, I'd say you're coming out ahead on this one.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh the joys of frivolous lawsuits in today's society.

My father rear ended a car in his van at 45 mph two years ago. Guess what; the airbags didn't go off. Airbags are not always beneficial in a collision. There are various sensors placed around the car where an impact at such a point would prove beneficial to have the airbags deploy.

It seems like you're well enough to join up on a new forum and ask this question, so it seems like Mercedes-Benz safety engineering did its job correctly.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite921 View Post
Lawsuits are typically based on damages. You just said you had no damages. What is it that you wish to be compensated for?

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I don't think Mercedes is liable for anything and I'd forget filing a suit against them. If you don't believe me, consult an attorney and see what he/she tells you. You didn't say who was at fault, but I would have the car fixed using the insurance company money and if you are not satisfied with the outcome, sell it and buy one that hasn't been in a front end collision.

Mercedes Benz - Das beste oder nichts!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 2005 E320 Sedan
You can sue anyone you wish. The question is whether you can prevail.

In your case, I doubt it.

My understanding is that MB airbags are set to deploy at a higher impact level than most, and for good reason. Imagine that you hit a deer and the air bag deploys. You loose control of the car which then hits a two-foot diameter tree. The airbag is now laying uselessly in your lap so that your brain decelerates suddenly against the inside of your skull because your skull decelerated instantly against the top curve of the steering wheel...

These Benz engineers are pretty talented people. I'd trust them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in