Pre Safe & ESP - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2008 E320 BLUETEC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just do a panic stop, hit the brakes hard and fast, you should feel things tighten up if you have the system in your car. If your brake pedal goes to the floor and seems to stay there then you have adaptive braking as well.

AZ.Benz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ.Benz View Post
Just do a panic stop, hit the brakes hard and fast, you should feel things tighten up if you have the system in your car. If your brake pedal goes to the floor and seems to stay there then you have adaptive braking as well.

AZ.Benz
Adaptive braking, what's that? Or Brake Assist (for full braking power in panic stops)?

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2008 E320 BLUETEC
Right, got my terms mixed up, make that Brake Assist.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2008 Arctic White W204 C350 Sport AMG Pack+Advanged Agility Pack, and 2008 B170 Facelift.
(Thread Starter)
Maybe I must define my question further: I know and understand the breaking applications of safety, like ABS & applied selectively at skidding. This is not my problem.
A Merc owner of the W203 Avantgarde model actually told me that his car swerve away for obsticals in the road, if he does not in time. Ok, I took his word for it, although it sounded mighty suspicious.
Now that I ordered a new W204 myself, I received Merc's correspondence which included a CD called "Serene Agility".
Now if I whatch this CD they actually illustrates this swerving action for a brance in the road. I am sure most of you must have this CD, or it's available as a clip from Mercedes websites. Now I am worried....On investigation on Internet I found all sorts of explanations, but I fail to find the explanation on how this swerving action is accomplished by not sliding in the process to begin with.
Please point me to this decription if available, or explain what they actually try to show with the CD, regarding missing that branch in the road. I believe some people may be totally mislead by this if not the case, cause obviously there are people who belives these cars can do this.

Last edited by Moto_Guzzi; 04-25-2008 at 12:14 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi View Post
Maybe I must define my question further: I know and understand the breaking applications of safety, like ABS & applied selectively at skidding. This is not my problem.
A Merc owner of the W203 Avantgarde model actually told me that his car swerve away for obsticals in the road, if he does not in time. Ok, I took his word for it, although it sounded mighty suspicious.
Now that I ordered a new W204 myself, I received Merc's correspondence which included a CD called "Serene Agility".
Now if I whatch this CD they actually illustrates this swerving action for a brance in the road. I am sure most of you must have this CD, or it's available as a clip from Mercedes websites. Now I am worried....On investigation on Internet I found all sorts of explanations, but I fail to find the explanation on how this swerving action is accomplished by not sliding in the process to begin with.
Please point me to this decription if available, or explain what they actually try to show with the CD, regarding missing that branch in the road. I believe some people may be totally mislead by this if not the case, cause obviously there are people who belives these cars can do this.
I don't know of any car that will actively steer for you in the event of an emergency swerving or lane change maneuver.

Click here and go to Features & Specs at the top, then Features Spotlight, then ESP. Watch the short video and see if that's similar to the one you have on the CD.

I suspect that the video you're talking about is just another demonstration of ESP, although with a tree branch in the CD. ESP won't interfere unless any wheels are sliding or skidding, as you mentioned.

You're right that some people might get the idea that the car will do the steering for you from viewing the videos. However, that's not the case. The W203 owner might just be one of the many owners out there that doesn't fully understand how the active safety systems work, he just knows it's there and it does something.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy View Post
If the car had ABS, the wheels would not lock. No locked wheels, no skid marks. At least that's my theory. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
ABS brakes do lock, but only momentarily, then they release. Take a look at a slow mo video of an ABS braking system at work. You'll see the wheel lock, release, lock, release, lock etc

Therefore, cars with ABS brakes do leave skid marks, albeit it different ones; rather than long black skid marks, they are staggered marks, much like the markings on a zebra/pelican crossing.

As the steering is still a mechanical device on a car, I doubt that electronic intervention caused the C-Class to crash. Which leaves mechanical failure, driver impairment through drink or drugs, sudden illness (heart attack?) or just good old driver error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in