LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
BEWARE! Front spiral springs explode!

Dear All, if you have E-types make sure you have the front spiral springs checked time to time. In my 1999 E-240 the left side spiral exploded with a loud metallic bang (thank god the vehicle was parked at a time!). Even worse, when my mechanic looked at the situation we found the other (right) side spiral also in three separate pieces, although still in place... I contacted MB Customer Service and asked them for 1) an explanation, 2) the cost of repair. To my shock, they said they can't do anything as I don't have my car serviced by an authorized MB repair station so they "don't know the history of the car..." Ridicuolus. What does changing oils and brake pads have to do with the collapse of a factory original pair of front spiral springs? This response is disgraceful and unacceptable - another reason for me to have my car serviced by my old, responsible and friendly non-MB station, where I feel I am important. Plus, this was the last MB car I have ever owned - I am switching to Lexus.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2008
Hi
I am a new member from last night. I put a post on I have had a problem not unlike yours only the spring fell out the bottom of my E280 1999 while in the driveway thankfully it was in the driveway when I took the wheel off the front top mount had rusted and broken this has to be a serious safety issue like you thank god the car was in the drive and not out on the road. My mechanic said I could of been killed if I was driving it or someone else hit with the spring coming the other way like you my car dosnt go to a Merc garage for service but is done by a local guy I can trust but I am going to send pictures amd email to mercedes uk now to seek advice. Not happy will probally get the same reply like you got.This is my thrid merc and it dosnt look good for the next one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lots of inconsistent behavior here.

To advise folks to "beware" is to suggest they have a look at their springs before anything happens.

That's good advice.

But, you didn't do it and you blame Mercedes.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Time for a new car anyway.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:58 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2007
Vehicle: 2008 e 350 4matic wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by loallat View Post
Dear All, if you have E-types make sure you have the front spiral springs checked time to time. In my 1999 E-240 the left side spiral exploded with a loud metallic bang (thank god the vehicle was parked at a time!). Even worse, when my mechanic looked at the situation we found the other (right) side spiral also in three separate pieces, although still in place... I contacted MB Customer Service and asked them for 1) an explanation, 2) the cost of repair. To my shock, they said they can't do anything as I don't have my car serviced by an authorized MB repair station so they "don't know the history of the car..." Ridicuolus. What does changing oils and brake pads have to do with the collapse of a factory original pair of front spiral springs? This response is disgraceful and unacceptable - another reason for me to have my car serviced by my old, responsible and friendly non-MB station, where I feel I am important. Plus, this was the last MB car I have ever owned - I am switching to Lexus.
Frankly,your "responsible" non-MB shop should have seen this problem in the making.This problem occurs over time and for both springs to have been so far gone indicates no one,,,including your "responsible,friendly" service guy...was doing their job.Go ahead & blame MB,but be sure to blame the non-MB mech whose been servicing your car for years too...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:58 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: '82 300D
Springs should not fail like that. It does not matter who services the cars. Check for recalls and service bulletins.

RRGrassi

82 300D 278,000 Warndreicke in the trunk. odo repaired--again

06 Jetta TDI 100,000
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:59 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Well, the problem

has been know for the W124 at least. So it seems it happens also at the W210 as I see.

It is a problem of corrosion.

Repair instructions for W124 require that not only the springs are being replaced but that also an additional zinc-plate is included which prevents the new spring from new corrosion.

W124 cars delivered to the UK and Scandinavia had this additional zinc-plate, others not.

The problem is that normally no Mercedes Dealer or repair shop knows about the procedure to insert the zinc plate.

But check with the WIS, and you will see that it is really mandatory.

Regards

Dirk

Last edited by Dirk124; 06-17-2008 at 06:19 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 PM
MTI
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgrassi View Post
Springs should not fail like that. It does not matter who services the cars. Check for recalls and service bulletins.
Actually, metal parts do fail, especially when the routine undercarriage inspection is neglected. If you check the service booklet for 1999 cars, you'll find that during each "B" Service, the underside of the car is inspected and in addition, every two years the suspension and body structure is inspected
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 2005 C230K Sport Coupe 6-speed! And now a 2011 GLK 350 4Matic in Palladium Silver!
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quite simply put, it doesn't matter what make or model of car you own, everything on every car will fail at one point in it's life. An example of this is, one day you will roll your driver's side window down. You hear a snap sound and now the window will not roll back up. Is it faulty engineering, or a defective part? It is neither. It "let go." Leaf/coil springs should be replaced at a certain mileage/age. Same for the shocks. Many people may think "but my car sits level/doesn't bounce all over the place." Doesn't matter. A 1999 @ 20,000 Km/year equals 180,000Kms. At that mileage and age, not changing the springs/shocks means you are essentially asking for it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
That's how some MB's claim to be running for millions of miles. EVERYTHING is replaced eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in