Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 05 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade
In the USA, UK and Europe their specialty is racing to the end of the merging lane, and then squeezing in.
And what's exactly wrong with that? If you feel like merging a mile before the merge point, well, that's OK but that's completely counterproductive!!!!

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DslBnz
That's fine, so long as you don't have the jerk speeding past multiple cars trying to ram you into the center lane while riding the break-down just to squeeze in front of you. These people will literally try to force you off the road and come within inches of sideswiping your car. People like this get license renewals everyday.
Of course that's reckless driving. It's also very reckless to attempt to block any driver coming down the merge lane legally, just simply becasue one doesn't feel they should do that. Truckers in the US do that a lot. It's dangerous. I don't see why we need to create a line of waiting cars in the middle lane, when the merge lane is wide open, sometimes for as long as 1/2 mile. I drive to the merge point, signal and merge in the next open space. Agree, there's no need to speed up and ride te brakes like you said. I wish people would just have the common sense to alternate at merge points.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwontumspeed
Why is it that around Atlanta every biker is rude, tailgates you, cuts you off, straddles the lanes, etc, etc. And then they expect us to react to their "Watch for Bikers" campaigs and keep a special eye out for them. Listen, the day a biker respects me on the road, I'll return the favor...
Everybody in Atlanta tailgates and speeds, period. It's like the US Autobahn. I'm out far on the right lane on a 55 highway, doing 70, and people are still behind me trying to push me along.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrX
We don't have to diss BMW drivers or anyone. We're driving an MB, and they're not. End of story.
Agreed. I drive a Bimmer and love it,..., almost as much as I like the Benz

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by busoptr
....most drivers do not know that on the freeway you have to give way to people merging into traffic, when they are coming from the onramp. ...
That's probably the most important point made in this discussion. However, merging in non on-ramp situations (and I believe that was cascade's point in his post, like at road work sites) is different and people just seem to get angry at cars that don't merge a mile back when the merge lane is open, up to the merge point.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-16-2007 at 07:49 AM.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busoptr
Another thing, just to make my sermon longer, a green light does not mean go. Technically, it means go when its clear. DMV should change the term " driver" to " operator". I mean cmon, the freeway is not really a racetrack.
I agree with your two posts here. Our driver's license say Operator's License actually. I never go when the light turns green. I always look first to see if it's clear. It may piss the people off in the back because they were delayed a few seconds but it's better than getting t-boned at 45 mph.

I may or may not have made a post somewhere on this forum but it was the middle of the night and I'm waiting to make a left turn. Light turns green for me and I'm too busy admiring the orange-ish glow of the streetlight on the Ash and Burl center console when I look up I see a minivan going speeds close to 50 mph and he just blew that red light as if a traffic light never existed!

And the merging on the highway ticks me off too! There are two sides to how I feel though. The first being that yes, they should make room for safe merging rather than speeding up and almost running you off the road as the merge lane ends until they give you a chance to merge. Most of the time I'll move over to the left lane if I see many cars merging and the left is clear enough for me to move over. Otherwise I go much, much faster if I have the time, not the same speed, not 5 mph faster, much faster. Or I slow down and let them merge in front of me. If there are a lot of cars merging I don't slow down to let them all get in at the same time and I don't speed up incredibly fast and pass them all, I adjust my speed and let them merge in a pattern:
|
\
|
\
|

The other side to my 'complaint' are those that merge on the freeway at like 35 mph. The on-ramp is there for you to get up to speed and make merging more efficient and safe. :map:

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:39 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2005
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmann
Of course that's reckless driving. It's also very reckless to attempt to block any driver coming down the merge lane legally, just simply becasue one doesn't feel they should do that. Truckers in the US do that a lot. It's dangerous. I don't see why we need to create a line of waiting cars in the middle lane, when the merge lane is wide open, sometimes for as long as 1/2 mile. I drive to the merge point, signal and merge in the next open space. Agree, there's no need to speed up and ride te brakes like you said. I wish people would just have the common sense to alternate at merge points.
I try to merge at the merge point but traffic (almost anywhere) does not allow it. People follow so closely, tailgating each other they leave no room for you to merge in and even when you signal to let them know you must merge immediately they go about their business and you're left stuck in the merge lane completely stopped and waiting until you can find a clear break in the traffic.

That is probably the main reason why if I know there is going to be a merge I do it beforehand if traffic allows or stay in the good lane from the beginning.

2002 Mercedes-Benz ML320 (sold)
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5

post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianml
I agree with your two posts here. Our driver's license say Operator's License actually. I never go when the light turns green. I always look first to see if it's clear. It may piss the people off in the back because they were delayed a few seconds but it's better than getting t-boned at 45 mph.
I ahve been driving for over 30yrs and anyone who doesn't take a few seconds to look left & right before going for green doesn't know anything about the first 3 rules of driving - safety, safety and more safety. And if people behind are pissed off, they should take a chill out pill!!!

Quote:
And the merging on the highway ticks me off too!...
Don't ever let anything people do on the road tick you off. Here's my rule (and I usually go 10+ over the limit on highways but stick to city limits, even if they're 20mph): let people pass if they want to regardless of your speed, look 5 cars ahead and three behind, always anticipate the driver on either side of you to do something very very foolish and always use the turn signal - it's polite. In most cases, I have sufficient HP to get away really fast from irritating folks. I remember one time, this one pisshead driver would not let me get by - he just blocked the passing lane with his SUV. When I had the chance I took it and just then he decided to drive faster and began tailgating me. I was at a comfortable 65 in a 55, so I moved right to let him go - I drive that road daily and I knew what he couldn't anticipate was coming up. A minute or so later he was pulled over and I just kept going. It's mean, but I since have done good by saving that poor Subary driver with NY plates from getting nabbed on a known speed trap on same road - I actually purposefully blocked the passing lane, stuck my hand out to indicate "slow down", and when I let him pass later, he gave me a "thank you" wave and a nod.

Another, on the PA turnpike, a station wagon wouldn't let me through - again blocking the passing lane. When I had a chance I punched it, he raced and lost as I merged left. He moved to the right and started chasing me, looking for any chance to pass. Why, I couldn't understand. By now, he was caught in traffic and stuck in the right lane, I opened up space for him to merge left and as soon as there was an opening on the right, he nicely and kindly moved right to let me go - how sweet!!!!

Quote:
|
\
|
\
|
I agree on that pattern - polite and respectful.

Quote:
The other side to my 'complaint' are those that merge on the freeway at like 35 mph. The on-ramp is there for you to get up to speed and make merging more efficient and safe. :map:
No reason to bother. Ride a safe distance and merge on the freeway as safely as you can, then get past them as soon as you can find an opening.

1996 Z32 TT
A 18Hp lawn mower
370Z - I want one!

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-16-2007 at 09:52 AM.
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This topic doesn't make sense, take a bad driver out of a bimmer, put him in a merc and he still drives bad...
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 02:48 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, Bmw drivers are fine its Land Rover Driver especially the Discovery's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in