post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 2003 SLK 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
SLK 230 verses F350 Pickup

I started a thread on the R170 page and it was recommended that I submit this to the Safety and Testimonials page. Here's a link to the other thread.

Short synopsis: My wife was Tboned by an F350 flatbed pickup this past Tuesday. He ran a red light and hit her mostly likely doing about 45 mph. I saw the whole thing happen while on my motorcycle maybe 10 feet behind her. He was cruising pretty good. I didn't get a picture of his truck because I didn't have a camera at the time. The front of his truck was smashed a good bit better than her car somehow. Both vehicles undriveable afterwards.

My wife came away with some bruises to her left side, severe whiplash, but no broken bones or anything major. From first hand witnessing what happened I was shocked that she wasn't killed. This experience made a believer out of me. I owe her life to this car because I honestly believe it saved it.

1998 Dodge Dakota 5.2L 4x4 - Spare Ride
2003 SLK 230 - Deceased
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T - Daily Beater
2007 VW Eos 2.0T - Hers
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1984 300D Turbo 1972 BMW 3.0CS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Veloce300DT
WOW that car held up amazingly well to the impact. I am glad your wife was not severly hurt!!!!!!

I have been in a few relatively severe accidents in MB's (rear ended at 40mph in a w124, and clipped in the rear at high speed in a W201) and one major one in a Volvo (front side impact at 45mph, engine, hood, front fenders, and bumper completely torn off and strewn in the road).. all of which I was able to walk away from unscathed. From my experience I would not trust any other brands to keep me as safe as I have been.

1995 E420 DB199 Black Pearl/Orion Gray -17x8 Brabus Monoblock VI/ Eibach Pro/etc........
1992 BMW 525i Alpine White/Ultramarine -Vogtland springs/M-5 interior/etc.....

"The details are not details. They make the product."
-Charles Eames
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Forum Administrator RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1981 380SL 151K: 2001 E320 4Matic Estate 147K: 2008 E350 Sport 4Matic 120K: 2005 S500 116K
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by JaxSLK230
Well my wife said she isn't sure how to describe it. If felt like something cushy pushing her arm against her body. Didn't hurt but wasn't comfortable either. It deployed and went flat fairly quick. It happened so fast that she couldn't really recall too much about what it was like. She was bracing for the air bag from the steering wheel to deploy after she stopped but it never activated.
Dig's edit: Jax...I posted this in the other thread and copied it here so that you might see it.

Jax, it is good to hear that she came through relatively unscathed (more on that in a minute). Her description of the air bag deployment is consistent with my experience ('95 Camry) when an Infiniti I 30 ran a red light on me at a hidden intersection 7 years ago. I had a moment to twitch the wheel to the left, as I thought, "OH, $#!T!" (not exactly what I hoped my last thought would be on this earth) and hit his front fender instead of directly in his door.

My steering wheel airbag fired and the disorientation was so complete that I forgot for that moment that I was in an accident.

Now, I didn't see anything in the thread about representation. I am not a lawyer and the insurance company sure acted as though I wasn't. I went to the ER after the accident but the fractured ribs didn't show up on XRays until a week later when I finally had to go back because my chest and lung hurt so badly.

I was going along with the insurance company like a good little policy holder until I realized I was about to get hit harder than when I was in the accident. I contacted a lawyer who was referred by a family member and only then was I able to recover a portion of my loss.

Don't wait. Don't put all your faith in the insurance company. Find an attorney now, explain the accident and show the pics. NO ONE is currently looking out for your wife's interest. You have to do it, yourself.

Dig's other edit: It's a shame that lawyers have to be involved at all but this is the way that personal injury works in the U.S. these days. A quick check of the Kelly Blue book shows the RETAIL value of your SLK to be about $25,500 ($20,500 Trade in value). Unless your policy has some sort of full replacement clause, you can see for yourself where you will stand financially with just the car alone, especially if it hasn't been paid off, yet. You'll never recover your investment.

The medical stuff can just get way crazy.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited by Digmenow; 04-05-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: