WTF? The driver survived this crash with a truck - Page 4 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower
loads of sticky situations in your city?
Yes, cars will not move once the snow accummulation reached the floor pan and he is in Michigan. It is not uncommon to snow more than one inch an hour. I had similar situations living in New England also.

My suburban almost got stuck near Lake Tahoe several times. I don't use it much now and certainly would not buy one today. Occassionally it is still useful moving kids to college, going to airport to fetch grandma etc. Even though I have a SUV, I too believe they don't belong in the cities other than in the snow belt.

Incidentally SUV against a trailer doesn't fare much better either. One of my in-laws was killed in a Tahoe hitting a trailer during a sand storm on I27 in Panhandle Texas. I drove that same stretch 2 years before in dense fog. Having a plane to catch, I couldn't slow down much either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: '00 S430
Couple of points, back in the late 60s the very very buxom and voluptuous actress Jane Mansfield was decapitated by running under the rear of an 18 wheeler. Tere was all kinds of talk about lower and stronger rear guards on trucks (like UPS 18 wheelers that have a full arch and low bumpers at the rear, they are also not removable and unable to be placed on a train like the over wheel trailers) and nothing has happened in 40 years. I know some European countries require low strong bumpers on trailers, I am surprised Germany is not one of them.

Re: SUVs and backing over kids, the same can and have happened with "earth friendly" minivans and cars. The problem is poor visibility and carelessness (don;t think it can't happen to you). This problem would be largely eliminated with rear cameras (first on the 2000 Infiniti Q45, and motor homes several years earlier). Cameras won't help if drivers don't look at the monitor or if it is washed out by the sun.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
I have backup camera on my Lexus and I do use it. Given these cameras are $30 at Fry's, it's a wonder they are not on more cars.

Trucks and trailers in Japan have low guardrails even on the sides.

Last edited by CalifSLK; 04-15-2007 at 09:42 PM.
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 05:28 PM
DrX
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2003 A160
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
I reckon the guy in the silver E55 was suicidal. Why would you be going 210 km/h at impact? And run straight up the back of it? Surely you would have applied the brakes and used the steering wheel unless you were trying to kill yourself.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

May be just a case of DUI. In Germany restaurants, beer is like water, the waiter just keep pouring.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 07:57 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 84 300TD, 2005 CDI
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifSLK
Yes, cars will not move once the snow accummulation reached the floor pan and he is in Michigan. It is not uncommon to snow more than one inch an hour. I had similar situations living in New England also.

My suburban almost got stuck near Lake Tahoe several times. I don't use it much now and certainly would not buy one today. Occassionally it is still useful moving kids to college, going to airport to fetch grandma etc. Even though I have a SUV, I too believe they don't belong in the cities other than in the snow belt.

Incidentally SUV against a trailer doesn't fare much better either. One of my in-laws was killed in a Tahoe hitting a trailer during a sand storm on I27 in Panhandle Texas. I drove that same stretch 2 years before in dense fog. Having a plane to catch, I couldn't slow down much either.
Having grown up in Wisconsin and Minnesota I understand the snow issues.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower
Having grown up in Wisconsin and Minnesota I understand the snow issues.
Yes, it is amazing how exhaust condensation from traffic jam can form black ice on the freeways in Minnesota. And yet all the corn fields make steamy summers. Really hardy people up there.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 09:09 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: CLK 430 AMG
dam nasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in