Why I bought a MB - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cabin

That is exactly right. The cabin kept its integrity and I am very pleased about that. The vehicle did exactly what it was supposed to do. Not to slam N.A. cars but, Im not sure the same outcome would have resulted. Who knows.
My wife now gets the B200, if she can get me out of it!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
(Thread Starter)
My wife drives a little Honda CRX that she just loves. I've been fine on her driving it because she never likes the freeway and usually avoids heavy traffic areas. It's considered like a little go-ped for her. Either way, I was coming home late Friday night and passed one sitting upside down on the hwy. I've gone out to start looking for something a little better. She likes the older Saab, but I know nothing about them. Time to start doing homework.

Enjoy the new ride. Remember, unless you give it to the wife while it still has the 'new car' smell, she'll demand to get her own.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:27 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
I met you guys at the Diesel gtg last month, and you never said this was how you came by the CLK. My god I had NO idea a Nissan could trash a Pontiac that bad, just look at the passenger cage, that's scary!

She's a lovely person, and you're a good guy too. You both deserve better than to risk all than to drive around with your health in jeopardy. A CRX, mein gott, that's little more than a motorcycle with a little plastic car thing around it. A cute, nimble, economical death trap.

Get her into another CLK, a good C class, W202, or any good Mercedes. ASAP. (The search might go easier if you let her pick the color and interior combo, if she is like some women!)

I just saw a guy in a lifted Hummer H3 in traffic, heavy window tint on it, TALKING ON HIS CELL phone, while driving, and utterly oblivious to everything around him. Possibly soon to be a mobile murderer by negligence, or not?

Good luck in the search.

Jim B.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 1984 300D Turbo 1972 BMW 3.0CS
Send a message via AIM to Veloce300DT
Not quite an MB, but almost as close... Volvo.

Man YOU ARE A VERY LUCK GUY Prana!!!!!

This story reminds me of a recent accident I was in. Had I been in any other car other than a Volvo OR an MB I would have been seriously unjured.

One of my best friends had bought a 1998 Volvo V70 T-5 5speed. She had been looking and looking for forever and finally found a T-5 wagon with the rare manual transmission.
She is a total gear head and had owned primarly VW's her whole life and was ready fro something a little more substantial. The Volvo T-5 was her choice for its combination of styling, performance, and SAFETY.

Anyways, 3 weeks after buying the car she and I went to Tognottis out on Fulton Ave. to buy some detailing products; clay bar, cleaner, polish, wax, etc... we were going to spend the afternoon cleaning up her new wagon We threw the products in the back, hopped in, and headed down El Camino to drop by Pardees Cameras to pick up some things and then we were going to head back to her place. En route to Pardees we noticed an amazing little 1960's ski boat for sale in a driveway so we pulled over to look. After looking at it she decided to turn around across El Camino (which needless to say I was a little apprehensive about.) Now I have always felt reasonably comfortable with her behind the wheel... she has been a very knowledgable driver, heck shes an active SCCA member! So she knows how to handle her cars (clearly shes not invinceable though!) ANYWAYS, the street looked clear, I was looking ahead checking the lanes heading our way, and she was looking over her shoulder and checking her mirrors for traffic coming from behind us. The lanes heading towards us were clear, and she didnt see any traffic coming from behind us so she proceeded to make a U-Turn. THEN BOOM!!! we were struck right before we made it into the center divide lane. All I saw was a white flash crashing into the car, then the hood crumpled up, then the car spun, then tons of smoke bellowed into the cabin via the dash air vents. Our car came to a halt. My friend turned the ignition off, made sure we were ok, and then we got out. By the time we got out of the car many of the residents in the neighborhood had come outside to see that we were ok. I looked down the street and about 500 yards away sat the car that hit us. A white honda civic. Bits of our engine, bumper, and misc parts trailed behind it.

The girl in the honda civic was ok, her front end was crumpled into nothing. A witness said that she was travelling about 45-50mph when she hit (which is a common speed down El Camino in the middle of the day when traffic is light) her speed explained why my friend did not see her... she had to have been directly in her blind spot when she looked behind for trafffic.

At any rate, I walked away a little shaken up but uninjured and ok. My friend had hit her head against the drivers side door window, but was otherwise unharmed. Had we been in any other car aisde from an MB I dont believe we would have been as unharmed. While the firtrucks, paramedics, and police came to the scene I just sat in the grass of a yard looking into the street at the Volvo. I was absolutely amazed that it held up SO WELL to such a high speed impact. AMAZED. I have no doubt that an MB would have done the same.

Not only do I trust my life with an MB, but also a Volvo.

RIP Bertrand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	107738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	107739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frontdriverside.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	107740  

Nate
1995 E420 DB199 Black Pearl/Orion Gray -17x8 Brabus Monoblock VI/ Eibach Pro/etc........
1992 BMW 525i Alpine White/Ultramarine -Vogtland springs/M-5 interior/etc.....

"The details are not details. They make the product."
-Charles Eames
www.grainedit.com
www.fieri.org

Last edited by Veloce300DT; 12-07-2006 at 11:20 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
(Thread Starter)
The only other car I've ever felt safe (maybe a little too safe) was Volvo. Glad you two made it and I'm surprised to hear the Civic driver came out ok.

When my wife and I went out to the meet by the river, part of why I really wanted her to go was to fall in love with the cars. ...it worked. She just started her own little MB savings fund.

As for the Hummers around here? I can't help but wonder when they moved soccer practice to the Rubicon. I'll never comprehend the use for those in the city.

Last edited by Prana25; 12-07-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in