post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: A160 W168 /2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is your safety being compromised

I posted this on another forum a couple of days ago but for some reason couldn't log on to do the same here .
Sinse I posted this another owner has located a broken front spring although his alloy cup is still intacked at present. So A class owners do yourself a favour and either inspect or get your car inspected, I have also written to Mercedes about this problem.

I have been contacted by an owner requesting information on the front suspension on an 2001 A class with only 29000 miles on the clock where the aluminium lower cup on the strut of the front suspension has completely broken away allowing the suspension to collapse, It appears this is also accomanied by a broken spring, lower tail end.

He has contacted MB.UK and they are collecting his car on Tuesday but this is without doubt a very serious situation and one which owners should be fully aware of.
This happened as his Son got into the car BUT If this unit were to fracture in this way while moving at speed I hate to think of the consequences and yet short of inspecting your units nothing further can be done by the owner MB YES they could arrange a recall for inspection or at the very least warn owners of the problem.
I have taken the unusual step of posting a copy of the photograph sent to me so that owners can see what I'm talking about and so that they can inspect the ali cups on the struts on their cars as well as the condition of the spring
If owners use the front jacking support and jack the car up until the front wheel just leaves the floor an inspection can be made of these components. Remeber the wedge your wheels and take all safety precautions .Please do this as a matter of some urgency and try to avoid an accident, which is waiting to happen
PS if you want to read this owners comments first hand then I understand from Sergio that it has been posted on his site http://svc.cc/board/html

The second photo shows the unit complete.Please note the coating of duck oil applied to my springs to avoid the rusting of these springs , this precaution is undertaken every time I'm working on the wheels or under wing components.Lofty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpringemailBert.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	86441  
Attached Images

Last edited by lofty; 05-29-2006 at 08:12 AM. Reason: add photographs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 09:14 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 05 E55/ 05 Yamaha R1
"intacked", like the opposite of outtacked?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Wink still in one lump!

Raven1 Just for you, INTACT still in one lump, hasn't come unstuck yet!
lofty

Raven1 while your there solve this one!
Hello All

I was wondering you may know the cause of the problem on my W202 C class.
The car drives fine up to about 60 or so mph, then as the speed increases over 60, the car begins to wander, and twitch! It feels as though the car is subjected to a strong cross wind and wanders from side to side. Even on a calm day it still wanders, but it gets worse when windy.

I have had the shocks and suspension checked by three different main dealers, they also checked the play in the steering and found to be all well. All have said they could find nothing wrong!

I have come across this problem on the MB forums on the Internet. Some members have also experienced this problem, but no one is sure what is causing it. Also had the front wheel alignment checked and reset, but the problem is still there.

Whatever the cause, its speed related. As the speed increases it gets worse. The car is willing to go over 100mph, but I wouldn't dare! My car has had a new steering damper and lower ball joints replaced by the former owner last November.

I have now exhausted all the possible causes, and I was hoping you might be able to give me some advice and put me on the right track.

Incidentally this was sent to me I didn't write it!
We are looking for answer to the problem not correction of the spellings
lofty

Last edited by lofty; 06-01-2006 at 05:20 AM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Smile letter from MB re springs A class

For those members interested I have just posted a copy of the letter recd from DaimlerChryler in respect of broken springs. or rather none broken springs! Along with their contact address on my site .

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/albert.rowe/mypage.19.htm

Now I feel it's up to those who have and are having problems to write to the address and contact given with the complaint number.outlining their particular experience.
lofty
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Red face follow up the broken spring

The car in question was with MB for three weeks, the owner did not have a car provided, he had to pay half the cost of repair and MB only replaced the strut and spring on one side.
As most DIY as well as professionals are aware it is very bad practice to replace one component on either brakes of suspension as balance is lost. MBs reason for not doing so was that the car had only covered 30000 miles! I called having it both ways.

I have now sent details of the front & rear spring problems to VOSA, (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) that is following letters from MB denying there is a problem.
Although I have furnished them with all the details plus photographic evidence they are unlikely to be able to progress the complaint/problem with DaimlerChrysler as I am unable to give them specific information, date of discovery, service history, year of car etc, as the problem has not occurred on my own car.
If there are any UK members out there who would be prepared to give VOSA this information in respect of their own cars then would you please e-mail me or contact VOSA to obtain a form of notification of defect likely to cause and accident where upon they may well be able to progress the complaint. Please quote ref. New-VSD 27th June. 2006. and mark for the attention of Andrew Taviner, Senior Administrator, the form reqd is :-VSDR100 - DI (GP) without your co-operation MB are off the hook.

Either way VOSA are now at least aware that there are problems on the Mercedes ‘A’ Class suspension and in the event of an accident where their officers are tasked to investigate the cause, they can at least pay attention to that area of the car as the possible cause.
lofty
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 04:12 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2006
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenr1
"intacked", like the opposite of outtacked?
You're one funny bastard..That's rediculously hilarious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in