C-class crash in Tampa today - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:45 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 89 300E 4Matic.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If side impact breaks your neck, why not design and make headrests that curve around the head. If you then cant hear the damn stereo, you can always put minispeakers in the back/side head supports. Surely more useful/valuable than computerising seats, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 04 SL55 AMG
Update on the story:

A judge has ordered a Lakeland man charged with causing a multiple fatal accident in Brandon on April 21 to remain in jail without bond.

Kenneth Stewart appeared in a Tampa courtroom Thursday morning. He's accused of running a red light and crashing his vehicle on Lumsden Road and Parsons Avenue into a car filled with family members in town for a wedding. He's charged with four counts of vehicular homicide, four counts of DUI manslaughter and two counts of DUI with serious bodily injury.

The mother of the bride, Emily Manzano, was among the four people killed.

My mother was in a Ford Focus when she was T-boned by a Durango that ran a red light. The Durango was going about 45 miles per hour and did relatively minor damage (even though is was ½ block away from a school at 7am and the posted limit is 30). Based on her accident, this guy must have been going well over 70 mph. Should we even start to rant about drinking and driving?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 01:47 PM
bsk
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: E 350 -Iridium Silver-2006
waht a tragedy-bless them
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 02:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 1999 A4 1.8T, 1980 244 GL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruudje
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prana25
Update on the story:

A judge has ordered a Lakeland man charged with causing a multiple fatal accident in Brandon on April 21 to remain in jail without bond.

Kenneth Stewart appeared in a Tampa courtroom Thursday morning. He's accused of running a red light and crashing his vehicle on Lumsden Road and Parsons Avenue into a car filled with family members in town for a wedding. He's charged with four counts of vehicular homicide, four counts of DUI manslaughter and two counts of DUI with serious bodily injury.

The mother of the bride, Emily Manzano, was among the four people killed.

My mother was in a Ford Focus when she was T-boned by a Durango that ran a red light. The Durango was going about 45 miles per hour and did relatively minor damage (even though is was ½ block away from a school at 7am and the posted limit is 30). Based on her accident, this guy must have been going well over 70 mph. Should we even start to rant about drinking and driving?
Wow - sad story. Hope Mr. Stewart will be able to spend the rest of his miserable life behind bars. Too bad though we as tax payers will be supporting his sorry ass.
Main reason why the Dodge still looks relatively good is because it is basically a Dakota pick-up truck with a boot. Chassis bars and the underlying structure make it a very rigid vehicle, which also means the passengers will be hit hard in a collision, the car not as much.

“One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.”
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:48 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 2000 Designo SLK-05 C230WK-05 E320CDi-2010 GLK 350
I found this message relating to a fatal crash interesting because it might have relevance to the accident described here earlier. I have seen side impact crashes with similar damage to the car before that were survivable and wondered if there were perhaps other reasons besides head trauma that could have caused the fatalities.

Because there is little crush space to be spared for a side impact Mercedes like other cars that limit side impact intrusion do so by building extremely rigid structures for protection after the limited crush/crumple zone is used up. Once the structure has crushed to its limit the remaining crash energy is translated into acceleration forces as the vehicle is pushed along by the vehicle that impacts it. The same acceleration forces that cause whiplash injuries are now acting on the occupants internal organs as their bodies are shoved sideways with great force.

Here is the message:

As a physician, I am very happy for your family.
It could have been much worse.

These days with people listening to loud music, eating, drinking (Yes I drink coffee in the car!), doing make-up and talking on cell phone, driving is no longer taken seriously, especially by teenagers...

I have seen all kinds of accidents with the most recent at the Iowa and Nebraska border. I looked after the lone survivor in this accident:
http://www.dailyiowan.com/media/sto....dailyiowan.com

A few college students returning back to U Iowa for schooling, at the Underwood Exit (10 miles east of IA-NE border), on an eastbound exit ramp stop sign, the driver inched the car forward, then out of nowhere a pickup truck came southbound (? 60-70 mph), T-boned the car, 2 students died instantly.
The driver survived but sustained massive injuries (air-lifted to our hospital).

He is a big kid (220 lbs) and broke a whole bunch of bones: the most amazing finding was the femur socket driven into the hip joint, missing the iliac artery by 5 mm!!!
It takes alot of force for that to happen! But also he lucked out because the femur head missed the major artery by a hair!

Their car flew 50 feet downstream.
The 2 students that died had the aorta sheared off (even if there is a hospital 10 feet away and a surgeon on standby, once the aorta is sheared off, only God can fix it...) and they died instantly....
A very sad scene.....

It appeared the other driver was on the cell phone......

Anyway, T-bone is bad because there is no "cushion" zone (like frontal crash with the engine compartment acting as a cushion; and rear-ending with the trunk acting as a cushion).
A side airbag can help but what saved your daughter is the fact that she was seated in the middle.

The statistics shows that the majority of accidents happen at intersection. Why?
- people try to beat a yellow light.
- people turn too early when driver from cross-traffic try to beat a red light...a classic T-bone.

At intersection:
I always look R and L before proceeding on green light, never know someone is in a hurry, or not looking, or on cell phone. I wait for cross traffic to come to a complete stop before proceeding.
I managed to avoid a few close calls!

Anyway, glad your family is OK. Car is always replaceable, not human lives.

Potato Chip, custom canuter valve, low-friction muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, Hi-Definition Progressive Scan Wiper Blades.
Law-makers are supposed to regulate in the interest of the public as opposed to regulating in the interest of the regulated party.
If it says Pratt and Whitney on the outside it better say Martin Baker on the inside.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1982 Mercedes 300TD wagon
It also appears they cut the car apart with the jaws of life to get to the occupants. So it looks far worse than it probably did. Still, major ouch there! I wonder how my 84 300D would've faired?
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzoid123
It also appears they cut the car apart with the jaws of life to get to the occupants. So it looks far worse than it probably did. Still, major ouch there! I wonder how my 84 300D would've faired?

I hope you'll never find out.

Looks like c-class was hit right at B-pillar. May be surviving occupants were at passenger side of the car and side airbags helped their necks.

Kirill
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 04:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: w123 300tdt
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckj2
Officer smelled alchol on the Dodge Durango driver. 34 years old.

See ya when you're 40 pal. Lock the bastard up!
I would think it to be more like 80 when he gets out.

Louis.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2006
99 C280 saved my family

My wife was stopped and was hit from behind. the truck was going 50-70 MPH. Two days ago we bought her a replacement car. A 2002 S500.
Attached Images

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DO_Doc
Really, there isn't any car that could have helped that.
That's right, it's physics pure and simple. Physics for one moment harnessed by some f-ing idiot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in