Has anyone heard of a benz unnecessarily reving its engines up?? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Has anyone heard of a benz unnecessarily reving its engines up??

Has anyone ever heard of a mercedes benz (400E) Reving up its engines unessesarily. I was involved in a car wreck that seemed to involve just that. It happened all so fast I'm still trying to figure it out. There are a number of possiblilities as to mistakes that could have been made on my part.

I may have actuvated the cruise control - making the car accelerate without knowing I was doing so.
{but the cruise control is supposed to shut off after I press the brakes, which I did a number of times, The engine kept reving up even after running into a tree. The tires burnt out, the engine pretty much blew (or fuel ran out)}

I havent been able to inspect the car after the accident, but there Is a possibility of the gas pedal malfunctioning - it may have been slack (somehow unlikely) possibly the floor-mat coming up in its was or something. But again, the floor-mat was really thin and shouldnt cause the car to accelerate that fast.

` Thirdly there could have been error on my part. I was distacted just for a second - I had just stopped to make a turn and the accident happened right when I got going again. I may have panicked and pressed the gas instead of brakes when I realized I was going off the road. But still I repeat - the car never stopped reving up.

I really do appreciate your time and suggestions as to how it may have happened.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:38 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
RE: Has anyone heard of a benz unnecessarily reving its engines up??

During the 80s this was known as ‘unattended acceleration’ and tarnished Audi’s reputation at the time. The problem was not just a racing engine but the drivers’ not being able to stop the cars. They claimed they were pressing on the brake as hard as they could. Investigators could not find a problem with the engines or brakes. Audi maintained it was driver error.

I’m not aware of this being a problem for 124s in particular or MB cars in general. Until you can have the car inspected you won’t know for sure. Post in the 124 forum to see if anyone else has had this problem.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 04:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 81' 300SD, 82' 300D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Not applicable to you, I've heard of some diesels having a runaway engine. That's most likely due to

A. Too much motor oil.

or

B. Too much boost from the turbo while the overboost protection valve is bypassed.

1981 300SD DB881 ext./code #236 leather int. aka: thistle green ext./olive int.
1982 300D, DB877 ext./code #135 mb-tex int. aka: petrol green ext./creme int.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 82 300D, ISU Formula

Quote:
jdc1244a - 3/11/2006 1:38 PM

During the 80s this was known as ‘unattended acceleration’ and tarnished Audi’s reputation at the time. The problem was not just a racing engine but the drivers’ not being able to stop the cars. They claimed they were pressing on the brake as hard as they could. Investigators could not find a problem with the engines or brakes. Audi maintained it was driver error.

I’m not aware of this being a problem for 124s in particular or MB cars in general. Until you can have the car inspected you won’t know for sure. Post in the 124 forum to see if anyone else has had this problem.
The Audi Diesels had some serious blow by issues. A really goofy diesel engine if you ask me. I read a story about a woman in Louisana that could not stop her car and was driving around town with a runaway diesel.

I believe this problem was attributed to the gas 4000 and 5000 models of the era. The car had the occasional wild idle, and would "unnecessarily rev" due to an Idle Stabilization Valve that failed on those cars. Had a 4000CS Quattro that did exactly that Funny thing is, that the customers claimed that the car overpowered the brakes. I have trouble believing a 3000 pound Audi 4000 with at most 115 hp could overpower the brakes

Tony, were going to have to get the fat man springs out so you can drive the Formula car
-JT, refering to me driving the formula car that we build and race at Iowa State University.
-More Formula fun at www.sae.stuorg.iastate.edu (We are
the Iowa State branch of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2002 SLK 320 for sport, 1999 C 280 for utility
Send a message via Yahoo to Slkdrvr

Once, when I lived in Oklahoma a rather large rat got into the engine compartment of my Chevy truck seeking a warm home away from the cold winter. My wife got into the truck and drove it to church with the engine revving at 2500 rpm. Seems the rat ate through a wire and poof, uncontrolled revving. Scared her, she had to ride the brakes for the whole trip. I know, it wasn't a Mercedes but it could be some sort of electronic malfunction.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:32 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2003

The only problem I have ever had with these things was with the linkage sticking.

One happened with an old 300SD in a parking lot. Shifted into "D" and goosed the pedal too quickly. It locked to the floor, and the car launched. I braked hard and shifted into neutral. Then I killed the engine.

I also had this happen with an '89 560SL. And I had to nurse it at 1/2 throttle with a near 300lb/ft engine underhood, along single lane coastal beach summer streets. Not fun. I couldn't reach the linkage in the first place without the right tools.

To have a 400E lock up at full throttle would be a nightmare. I understand the newer models use an electronic throttle actuator that is attached to the linkage. I'm not quite sure of its function, but it may cause a malfunction of the sort. I think it IS integrated into the cruise control system of the engine as well.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:08 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hey, Benz.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

Actually the theory is called "unintended" acceleration and it's been chased/alleged as electrical gremlins in lots of vehicles. I do think Audi has taken the brunt of such claims, though. And no one to my knowledge was ever able to demonstrate that the cars were to blame.

The basic problem with the unintended acceleration theory is that no car in otherwise good working condition can overpower it's brakes; in a safe place, try it some time. Crusing the freeway, floor the gas and land on the brake at the same time, there's no way you'll speed up (assuming that your braking system is working properly). Of course, if you have an otherwise stock little C230 and someone has dropped the AMG 5.5 into it with no mods to the brake system, etc., it becomes sketchy, but that would be the exception.

Of course it is possible that something broke, sticking the throttle open, or partially blocking your ability to fully apply the brakes. For example, if your power booster failed, you have to stand on the brake pedal for all it's worth to get some good braking performance. As far as sticking throttle linkage, broken motor mounts have been known to do that, particularly if you had just accelerated hard while turning, for example, potentially causing the engine to rise and jam linkage, etc. Fairly rare, but possible. Stuck linkage would account for it continuing to rev even after the accident, although the accident could itself account for sticking linkage. That said, I doubt the cruise control had anything to do with it; there are many fail-safes built into them and, besides, you still wouldn't be able to overpower the brakes.

So to summarize, it may not have been related to driver error at all. On the other hand, as you are willing to theorize (and kudos to you for recognizing your humanity!), if you had accidentally pressed the gas instead of the brakes, then when it hit the tree, that could have dislodged the engine enough to keep the throttle open (binding linkage, etc.).

But that is why they call them "accidents". The good thing is you were in a car that protected you, apparently no one was hurt, and you are still around to learn from the accident and move on.

Take care and enjoy the (next) ride,
Greg
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 1993 300SEL (Sold) 2001 530i
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

There was an incident here a while back involving a Ml with the remote start the car jerked backwards and hit a mother and baby
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2008 Outback 2.5 XT, 1999 A4 1.8T, 1980 244 GL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ruudje

Quote:
jzaroh - 3/22/2006 4:32 PM

The only problem I have ever had with these things was with the linkage sticking.

One happened with an old 300SD in a parking lot. Shifted into "D" and goosed the pedal too quickly. It locked to the floor, and the car launched. I braked hard and shifted into neutral. Then I killed the engine. I also had this happen with an '89 560SL. And I had to nurse it at 1/2 throttle with a near 300lb/ft engine underhood, along single lane coastal beach summer streets. Not fun. I couldn't reach the linkage in the first place without the right tools. To have a 400E lock up at full throttle would be a nightmare. I understand the newer models use an electronic throttle actuator that is attached to the linkage. I'm not quite sure of its function, but it may cause a malfunction of the sort. I think it IS integrated into the cruise control system of the engine as well.
I agree on this one. Sticking linkage happened to me in the early 90s, driving in the centre of Rotterdam. Car was a VW Golf. Luckily it had stick shift, so I was able to get it in Neutral and brake to a full stop. Scary stuff.

“One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.”
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '87 300D
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

if your in the car and it does that it cant be that hard to force it into neutral if its a manual and maybe lil difficult if it was an auto.. the driver isnt thinking during the situation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in