Has anyone heard of a benz unnecessarily reving its engines up?? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:03 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 00 C-230, 04 C-240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Has anyone heard of a benz unnecessarily reving its engines up??

My friend, a very good driver, had an Audi motor go full throttle on him while motoring on a highway. He had his hands full just trying not to go into the center divider or another car. The brakes were hardly slowing the car down, & he grabbed neutral & quickly headed for the shoulder before shutting the engine off. This was not an experience that he wants to repeat.

The marginal braking reported by many during such incidents might have something to do with the available vacuum to the brake booster from an engine that is reving past redline.

According to him, had this happened to an unexperienced driver, or someone that is not alert, the outcome would not have been so good.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 02:46 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: W140 '93 500 SEL
Yes there was a problem with one of them here and the engine did rev up instead. It was a court case. First the owner did press on the brakes but the engine rev up. The problem was that the mechanic that replaced his engine mounts did not put the screw in so when the owner brake hard the egine came off the mount and the effect was pulling the accelerator linkage! The car was totalled. fortunately driver was safe!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 06:37 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jun 2006
Car accelerates by itself

The same situation happened to my wife with her CLK

Not only did the car accelerate but she had no brakes

The vehicle only had 14,000 miles

I have a friend that had a SL500 & he thought that it was his cruise control malfunctioning

Did you receive many replies to this posting?

Thank you,
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jul 2006
I had the brake booster let go on my 1974 280e (Australian), which caused the engine to rev when you depressed the brake pedal. Because the booster was leaking the brakes weren't assisted, either. It happened downhill while I was approaching a line of stopped cars. I managed to haul the thing into a side- street and get my heart rate back down, then limped it home.

Also have heard a story from my mechanic about an American car (not sure what model) that when the engine mount broke, the engine jacked up, severed the brake lines and jammed the throttle wide open. Not good.

Also, hi! This is my first post.....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 07:53 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: S320
Talking Runaway BMW 5 series

Originally Posted by H-TownBenzoboy
Not applicable to you, I've heard of some diesels having a runaway engine. That's most likely due to

A. Too much motor oil.

B. Too much boost from the turbo while the overboost protection valve is bypassed.

A BMW 5 series (brand new) got stuck in cruise control just 3 miles down my road. The poor guy was approaching a roundabout at 75 mph and could do nothing, no brakes , or even switch engine off.

He decided to veer into a field and came to rest shortly after.

Too much oil or something ! What a nightmare!

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1978 C123 280CE, 1988 500SEC, MY10 W204 C200 CGI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to StreekG
Wouldn't turning the engine off solve this atleast so you can get to a stop...
Then figure out what the hell happened.

It happened to my brothers C123 and his car ended up into a tree, its as good as gold now as it was fixed a number of years ago.
My brother told me if the accelerator ever gets stuck to the floor on my car just turn the car off, and try to safely get to a halt.

'88 500SEC M117.965 - Feind Stage II Cams, Adjustable cam gears, Dkubus 2000rpm Hi-Stall torque converter, Full S/S Twin 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, Eibach Springs, Bilstein B8 Sprint Shocks, Dkubus thick rear sway bar. Running Dkubus FrankenDPR CIS-E fuel management

Last edited by StreekG; 09-25-2006 at 06:50 AM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: W211 E320 Bluetec R129 SL500 - $1300 car ........ Ford F350 6l
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Andrzejek

The marginal braking reported by many during such incidents might have something to do with the available vacuum to the brake booster from an engine that is reving past redline..

I agree, that this might explain a lot. Gasoline engines are using engine vacuum with pickup behind the throttle valve. When valve is closed (idle) the engine is sucking strong and you have good vacuum. With valve fully open, there hardly is any vacuum. Each vacuum assisted system has a reservoir, that holds enough vacuum for efficient braking after the engine dies. But once you push the brake pedal and let it go, the reserve is gone.
Than diesel engines have vacuum pump, or hydraulic assisted brakes, so that explanation would not work here.
I think lot of those stories might be myths, or driver blaming his error on the car.
Than in my old motorhome I have military-type electric switch on the dashboard. It has a special cover, that require flipping before using the switch. Just like those you can see on the movies for nuclear rocket launching.
My old 2-cycle Detroit is controlled by 40-foot linkage, that has lot of potential for stucking. The electric switch activates big electromagnets on my intake manifold, that release huge flap completely closing the intake. Someone figure it out good insurance on engine prone to running away.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 AM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2007
Reving engine

I don't know that this will help but I recently found out that the c230 kompressor is plagued with fault code errors. I just bought an '02 from a reputable dealer (?) who provided documentation of full service. 6 months into the purchase my engine starts reving as I accelerate out of cornering or drive at very slow speed as when you're pulling into a gas station. The accelerator would fail even though the engine is still reving and the brake would stick and an error message showed electrical stabilizer... However, the MB techs tell me the throttle actuator is bad. I still drove the vehicle but one day the reving began and the brake pedal just froze even though I was practically standing up on it. I was only able to stop by applying the emergency brake which isn't easy in a manual drive with the brake in the floor. I almost mowed down a gas pump. I love the car and will have it repaired but it'd be wonderful if the MB techs would be more forthcoming with what repair is really needed--
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 07:36 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2001 E320 CDI AVANTGARDE 220000 miles, 98 E300TD Estate AVANTGARDE 141000 miles
Send a message via MSN to mr_benz
Happened on a mate's W124, althought i think it was his fault as he hit the gas peddal as hard as he could to start wheel spining. the car crashed though trees like mad, The W124's are the strongest car i have ever seen.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: