LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
C-230 Coupe VS. 2001 Suburban

About 3 months after i got my C-230 in Feb of 2003, I was rear-ended by a Suburban going appoximately 60 MPH. The other driver was not paying any attention and never touched his brakes. He claimed that his brakes wouldnt work. In any case, after hitting my car, he sat, looking stupidly at my car, which was a mess. The trunk was 2/3 caved in and the hatch was stuck open, but the car took every bit of the impact. I hoped out of my car, expecting to see a small bit of damage and was surprized to see the extent of damage caused by his vehicle. The police came and guessed his speed from the account of the traffic light's cameras and asked me about 4-5 times if i was really okay, surprised that i was even walking around without falling over. Long story short, i ended up with a bit of a sore neck for a couple months and a 14K bill for repairs, which was covered by the other driver's insurance, but other than that, i was fine...not bad for the car that many Mercedes owners see as sub-standard quality. On another note, it seems that the c-230 is beginning to gain popularity, mainly as a vehicle for the younger crowd, but also for those that love mercedes and want a car with some speed, a good amount of cargo capacity, as well as great gas mileage.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 05:43 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2004
RE: C-230 Coupe VS. 2001 Suburban

Good to hear you're ok. I for one am happy with MB's safety record. You see new cars are made to take such a hard blow (that's why the crumple). Sadly alot of 1st time owners think that this is a sign of weakness. It's the same all over the world with every manufacturer.

Over here alot of people regard the W123 & 126 as better cars than their current replacements since the older models would not crumple (i guess back then and even now people prefer to take the full force of an impact upon themselves just so their cars stay intact[xx(])
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Apr 2005
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It may be C class but it still has Mercedes benz safety. Was the suburban driveable after the crash? I highly doubt his brakes wouldn't work, it's a new SUV. But for those of you who don't know what a suburban looks like, let me show you my dad's suburban after I went offroading.

Dirty truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50_1501994_662005122922AM.jpg (51.0 KB, 280 views)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 11:01 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1999 E320 Wagon

After being on a Rescue Squad for nearly a decade I came to the conclusion that thoes who cause a rearend collision and say "my brakes didn't work" are absoulty and positively correct; telling the truth. Brakes don't work unless the driver PUTS HIS FOOT ON THE PEDAL AND PUSHES IT.[:p]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2005
(Thread Starter)

rofl, yeah...his brakes were tested after the wreck and they worked just ine...must have been an issue with the pedal force factor not being great enough in relation to his foot placement. His car was drivable, but def not in perfect shape. his front end was bent and his radiator looked like it was about to give way, and it might have, but the guy drove off with his car running. it was alot of fun...not! I got to drive it about an hour up to north atlanta before i got my temp car...a c-320 sedan. those dont handle nearly as well as mine does. ;) i turned out fine, except for a sore neck. thank god for MB engineering!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:21 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 2005 and 2006 C230s

While mine was in the shop having the bumper painted (due to a moron not realising that you can't back into someones car and try to drive away while they are standing there) I was loaned a C320. Those definitly are more oriented to relaxed cruising then they are spirted driving.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:21 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: SLK 350, '04 C 320C

Glad to hear that you are okay and the car's reputation for safety proved itself. I have a C 320 coupe and it certainly is very solid feeling, yet is very spirited (actually more fun to drive than our SLK 350) and safe (cargo room, great gas mileage). I also drive two different Chevy 2500 HD 4x4's that don't even compare to the quality of the brakeing of the C coupe.

John & Carol
'05 SLK 350 (Caspian Blue/Ash - six speed)
'05 Audi 2.0 T (Quartz Gray Metalic)
'04 C 320C (Citron Green - six speed)
'89 Ferrari Mondial t coupe (Rosso Corsa/Tan)
'82 Alfa Romeo GTV6
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: