Volvo or Merc - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 04:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon
RE: Volvo or Merc

i once wrecked an 89 240DL volvo.

the gear shift was radically out of position and almost chest height. the cars engine raced until it blew up and had to be towed away. the hood was not bent, but the fender was completly missing and the grille was about 45 feet in front of the motorcar. it was a total loss.

all caused by a 1988 toyota camry.

you will never hear me praise a japanese sedan. ive been hit by of them, oddly enough *all* camrys. im sure someone will discuss the merits of logical assesment of this information, but im going to pretend i know nothing about critical reasoning for the moment!

every driver was a woman, apart from one homosexual male, and *all* got out of the car saying:

"OHMIGAWDIMSOSORRYIDIDNTSEEYOUAREYOUOK?"

as for volvos safety, id say its tank model is no safer than any other car made of real metal with rear wheel drive. i also dont trust the newer 1,000 airbags models. call me silly, but isnt that a way of ensuring the cars are all unrepairable in the event of an accident to secure further sales?

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 01:18 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: E320

Quote:
karugs - 11/30/2004 9:33 PM

I remember some 80's Volvos being stacked up in piles on top of each other with the roof and underpanel parts of the cars contacting each other. What does this mean/try to prove?
This was a photo staged by the ad agency at the time and was deemed to be deceptive because (if I recall correctly) of the extra supports put in to hold the stack up. What it was trying to prove is structural strength, obviously. Well, I guess it wasn't obvious enough, judging by this post.

'99 E320 (bought 2/05 w/27K certified miles)
'04 V70R 300hp stock before chip, downpipe, etc
'00 Taurus
post #23 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 01:39 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: E320

Quote:
iNeon - 4/5/2005 6:16 AM
ive been hit by of them, oddly enough *all* camrys.
All? How many are we talking about!!? Time to reassess your driving style...unless all were not your fault.
You said also "as for volvos safety, id say its tank model is no safer than any other car made of real metal with rear wheel drive."
??? Volvos are offered as FWDS or AWD.

And you said "i also dont trust the newer 1,000 airbags models. call me silly, but isnt that a way of ensuring the cars are all unrepairable in the event of an accident to secure further sales?"
??? The airbags in all cars are replaceable. How does that "secure further sales"? Unless you mean they help save the owner's life so that he/she survives to buy another car.
As my sig shows, I have also a 2004 V70 Volvo - my third one. I can say the MB overall is a significantly better driving experience except for the seats - the Volv seats are more comfortable. Purely subjective opinion, o'course.

'99 E320 (bought 2/05 w/27K certified miles)
'04 V70R 300hp stock before chip, downpipe, etc
'00 Taurus
post #24 of 95 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

3 Camrys, 3 accidents, none my fault.

In all of them i was in different cars.

when I was hit in the Volvo(240DL, 89 model 4 cyl RWD) the Camry had scratches, there was NOTHING left of the Volvo, unless you count junkyard parts. the camry kind of parked inside the Volvo's engine compartment, causing everything to push back, the gear shift was up in the air, the engine raced. it was truly the worst accicent I have ever been in. Neither of us were hurt, which is a testament to "safety," yes, but I cannot say that the Volvo was safer than the Mercedes-Benz.

In the Mercedes, I was hit in the same style Camry(the model before the bubbly plastic one, more on this later) and it only pushed the bumper down a bit(the fuel screen clogged on the interstate and there were no emergency lanes!!!) He was going about the same speed as the Volvo when the carmy pulled out) the camry had a broken grille and some lenses, but was drivable.

The third accident was a 98 neon coupe vs. a bubbly plastic Camry(93+?) and the neon clearly won. the Camry was merging off of the interstate and attempted to jump all the way over back onto the interstate. I had just come off of the interstate and was coming under the viaduct(correct word?) and couldn't see the car. She smacked my front wheel. 1 broken hubcap and side mirror(damned plastic) later, the car was fine. 5 years later, the CV joint is still good and I have not had any steering/suspension issues. The Camry needed a light, bumper, fender and the hood straightened. Toyota had it right the first time, apparently!

So back on topic...
The way the Volvo was built was likely the reason it did not do so well, the engine compartment was very large, and it was fited with a small engine(2.3 I4.) If the neon were to be hit in the same way, the offending car would hit the engine mechanicals and not dead space, resulting in a more minor accident(although with some force, the engine pushes into the cabin just the same...another neon accident..)

The Mercedes-Benz(240 diesel) is built much the same, so until a -92 Camry hits me in an offset frontal type collision, I have no choice but to think that the Mercedes will fare better. The bumper design bares mentioning here, the Merc has a thick metal bumper, the Volvo had plastic modern bumpers.

Final say--
Airbags have never done anything for me but depoy in questionable circumstances, causing the repair to cost more than they should. While discussing this, it should be mentioned that the neon(98 model with 2nd gen bags) is the only car I've ever had with airbags. Because of this, I have 'issues' with them. The comment about more airbags making cars become total-losses more quickly is apt because the price of replacement parts and labor to install them.

I was playing in Photoshop and I made an image of the Volvo wreck just for the hell of it. the Volvo is blue, Camry is red
Attached Images

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #25 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2008 S550 4matic

Let me add a different dimension to this thread. Safety is more than just how it performs in an accident it is also reliability. I have a 2002 S80 T6 and while I love the acceleration and the room and the way it looks it is not reliable at all. The first year I had it was in the shop 16 times for everything from a turbo going out (it has twin T's) to a brake system failure light, gas guage going dead, door locks needing to be replaced numerous times.... I've had "collisions" at 5 to 6mph and the supports under the front bumper bend and the cost to fix and then replace the bumper cover is close to $1400. OK, so it had been touted as a safe car in the past but based on my experience I'm wondering if it could handle a life threatening collision.
post #26 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 09:47 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 2007 Volvo S40, 1991 Mercedes-Benz 300E

I have both of these cars, and I feel equally as safe in either one of them. The one thing that Volvo has that Mercedes does not is whiplash protection on the front seats. This really gives me peace of mind since I have experienced whiplash from accidents in some of my other cars. I have also read that Volvo has created a Blindspot elimination system that notifies the driver of a car being in its blindspot. I dont know how effective it really is, but it sure sounds like it could be helpful in avoiding many accidents.
post #27 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:08 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

Alot of talk about active safety.

What about passive.

Bringing Audi into this -

Had a 1990 Audi V8 quattro - driver airbag, ABS, seat belt tensioners, deformable padding to minimize femur injuries, engine that drops down on a severe front impact instead of into the fire wall, internal calliper (UFO) front brakes - then ontop of this, I consider the car's awd to be passive and an active safety feature.
Also, the car's Recaro seats were very supportive and never made me drowsy. Further, another passive and active safety feature was a warning display that suggested a rest break after 2 hours of continuous driving.

Tory

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #28 of 95 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:40 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None

http://www.251.org/volvocrash.html

Take a look at the article and some of the pictures.

My choice of a super safe car is the W126 with dual airbags. Perfect synergy of technology and good old fashioned heavy bodied cars. I read an article that wanted to remind everyone that people are often easily blinded by all the safety features, and it still comes down to one thing - physics still rules and the heavier vehicle will still win in a collision, airbags shouldn't replace steel, but assist it in protecting the occupants.

I think that Mercedes-Benz is safer than a Volvo, at least the ones of vintage.

Tory
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50_1489032_520200524118PM.jpg (101.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 50_1489032_520200524410PM.jpg (56.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 50_1489032_520200524420PM.jpg (53.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 50_1489032_520200524435PM.jpg (52.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 50_1489032_520200524459PM.jpg (40.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 50_1489032_520200524530PM.jpg (50.0 KB, 102 views)

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #29 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 01:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 2004 W203 C180K Elegance Sport Sedan & 2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

lots of interesting points have been raised, but nobody has mentioned the safety features that Mercedes Benz invented.

Well basically everything!
the airbag (originally available in the 1980 W126 S class), including the invention of side and head airbags.
ABS brakes
the safety steering column
Brake assist system
Side impact beams
traction control (called ASR)
stability control
crumple zones
power steering
pre-tensioners
PRESAFE
and they have been doing crash-testing since the 1950's.
All the safety features Mercedes invents, Mercedes leaves Patent-free so that other manufacturers can use the technology if they want to.

the only memorable & noteworthy inventions from Volvo are SIPS (side impact protection system) and the active head-restraints. and the newest mercs have active head restraints called NECK-PRO.

in terms of safety rating i think its best if you read the EURO NCAP website and read their explanations behind the safety ratings on cars.
and even though the old Merc and old Volvos are tanks, the safety on these cars is essentially 0 or 1 stars. Modern technology has ensured that almost every new car coming out these days (prestige or not) is recieving 4 or 5 star crash ratings, making them 100 times safer than a W126 or old Volvo.
BUT that being said, if you could choose any older style 70's / 80's car to crash in, it would be a W126 any day of the week.

2003 W203 C180 Kompressor Classic Sedan *Sold*
2004 W203 C180 Kompressor Elegance Sport Sedan
2004 R171 SLK200 Kompressor Roadster *Sold*
2005 W209 CLK280 Elegance 7-Speed Coupe
post #30 of 95 (permalink) Old 07-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

The 97 Volvo (Vulva) my friend has does not have any front passenger whiplash protection! How do I know? You can't even sit in the front seat of the $%#@ thing without the seat flying back and laying you down in the back seat.

He says he doesn't know what happened to it, one day it just broke.

It's either ride in the back or lean forward the whole time wondering when the seat will fly back again!

I've never seen a Mercedes with this problem!

The car may be mechanically sound (even though every light is lit on his dash for no reason!), I truly hate this car![:(!]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in