post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: W-1-2-3 Go!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
my turn to experience MB's safety engineering

I got rear ended today, my car is a W123 300D Turbo '83. Not a huge crash, but a slight bump/nudge. Offending car was a '92 Taurus wagon.

Got down to inspect, but the driver (old guy) did something stupid. He couldn't find the brake pedal, and since it was automatic, the car kept rolling until he hit me AGAIN! I saw it with my own eyes and almost cried! [:(] He was wearing sandals so maybe that's why he couldn't feel the pedal. [:(!][:(!]

However, this is where the tricky part lies. When I got down to inspect, I put the transmission to P (park). So in effect the rear wheels were "locked". But when he hit me again, my car jolted two to three feet forward with a crunching sound. Was this sound the transmission park gear? Or anything related at all to the transmission? It could easily have been his car though (sorry but I can't help wishing it).

Can anybody advise? I'm not worried at all at the bumpers, they're fine. MB engineers really did some fine work with those. And there were alot of witnesses, it was an under-construction area.

But anyway, we exchanged information and I called my insurance broker to ask for advice. He said that if there is no damage, don't bother to file a claim. And no, there is no damage at all. He hit my car smack right at the rubber strip of the chrome bumpers. Even the hexagon screw heads imprinted themselves on the rubber. There was a line of dust that "moved" indicating that the shock absorber did its job.

Oh well, long day...[:(]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld W140 Host

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: W140 S 320 L & R129 500SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to zeaq Send a message via Yahoo to zeaq
RE: my turn to experience MB's safety engineering

Not sure on your case.
But maybe the crunching sound is transmission park gear.

But your car is ok and so everything should be fine.

.I think that guy who bump u shouldn't forget where's the break pedal.Automatic and manual transmission the break pedal location are the same.
Maybe he's confuse with the auto gear .Old person usually uses Manual gear which pressing the clutch then gear 1 and balance...Man is been a while i haven't use a manual transmission......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2004, 07:43 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: None
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Go get the drive train inspected thoughly.

If it turns out to be something, get the mechanic to put in writing how he thinks it happened and if your story is plausable.

Then if there is damage, launch it, if there isn't, then don't.

Don't forget to get repayed for the inspection too as you never would have had to get one if he wouldn't have hit you.

Does your agent know about the sound and your possible suspicions?

Let us know,

Good luck,

Tory

1990 560SEL - W126
-929 nautical blue metallic & 262 navy blue leather
-58,000 KM (36,200 Miles)
-Euro spec Japanese import (KAT edition)
-Complete service history since new
-5,546cc SOHC 16v V8
-10.0:1 compression
-285 hp@5200 rpm, 324 lb/ft@3750 rpm
-2.65 limited slip diff
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Went to my mechanic today and he checked the transmission, so far he said it's OK. Didn't see anything suspicious, so he said I'm fine. Just a little bump. He inspected it for free. Seems like a good guy, I might come back to him for other repairs.[:)]

However the other day I went to a different mechanic to have its safety inspection ($70 just in case, oh well, lesson to be learned). Among other things, he pointed out that the transmission shifter linkage bushing needs to be replaced, is this easy? It could easily have been caused by the accident, but I have no way of telling. I can do this on my own provided the car is lifted. And the part is simple to fix.

The mechanic I went to today said that the neutral switch should be fine and there is no play in the shift knob, indicating a more or less intact transmission shifter linkage bushing.

The Park gear holds and it feels fine when engaged. It's been a while now and I've used the Park gear everytime I park, so the chances of finding the bad section has been more or less eliminated (considering that by chance, there is a possibility I could shift the gear into the Park gear's the bad section, if there is any, but so far there isn't).

I don't really mind paying a few couple of $$ even for just now when in the long run, my insurance rate will rise. The offender is an old guy and he seems intent on having the insurance take care of things, doesn't seem open to doing this just between us to avoid insurance rates going high. What do you think? If I make a claim my insurance rate will rise (even though it's not my fault [:(!] but I really couldn't still stand what happened--his inability to find and step on the brake pedal when he's a licensed driver! He could have at least shifted to Park or Reverse!)

Yes, I called my insurance broker and asked for advise. Same answer, if there is damage go have it thoroughly checked, if none then don't bother. He confirmed my insurance rate will just rise if I make a claim of any sort.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Anybody? Benzdoc?

Anybody?

Benzdoc? Seems you know quite a bit on transmissions, can you enlighten me please?

Thanks!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:42 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

first, your wheels were are not "locked" when in park. what took the brunt of his senility was the park pawl on the output shaft of the trans. the pawl is square and engages into a square. when the pawl is engaged into the output shaft, there's no getting it out. only the linkage will pull it out. if this was the case, you probably heard his taurus fold like aluminum foil and his fan scraping. you say your linkage bushing's are shot. now, what you don't want to hear is that your car wasn't all the way in park. if this was the case, you heard the racheting of the pawl looking for a place to park on the output shaft. this is NOT a big deal. it can take a lot of abuse. do not worry. the determining factor here is for the 3 feet you got pushed, did the tires skid? if so, little pawly was happily where he belongs. no skid? then little pawly was smacked around a little bit. this will not hurt him and he will get over it. (kinda like the old baseball cards in the bike spokes)....kevin
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BENZDOC - 8/26/2004 8:42 PM

first, your wheels were are not "locked" when in park. what took the brunt of his senility was the park pawl on the output shaft of the trans. the pawl is square and engages into a square. when the pawl is engaged into the output shaft, there's no getting it out. only the linkage will pull it out. if this was the case, you probably heard his taurus fold like aluminum foil and his fan scraping. you say your linkage bushing's are shot. now, what you don't want to hear is that your car wasn't all the way in park. if this was the case, you heard the racheting of the pawl looking for a place to park on the output shaft. this is NOT a big deal. it can take a lot of abuse. do not worry. the determining factor here is for the 3 feet you got pushed, did the tires skid? if so, little pawly was happily where he belongs. no skid? then little pawly was smacked around a little bit. this will not hurt him and he will get over it. (kinda like the old baseball cards in the bike spokes)....kevin
Thanks for the reply!![:)] It seems that my car is more than likely OK.

To answer your questions, and to clarify things, when the car moved forward 3 feet the tires did not skid, they rolled. Maybe at first, but I do remember seeing the tires roll. But it seems that I remember having that feeling that something "unlocked" itself. Like the Park gear being dislogded out of engagement and giving way. You say that it won't be removeable unless you use the linkage by shifting it, so when I knew that the linkage was shot was this the possible cause? Car hitting me behind forcing bushing to dislodge since pawl cannot be removed forcibly...does this sound logical?

Is this some sort of failsafe mechanism? I do hope so!

I knew that the linkage bushings were shot because after the accident I had the car inspected, but I have no idea at all if this was already broken before the accident. Anyhoo, I bought some stuff to repair it, hopefully one of these days when I'm free.

I do not want to dismiss any assumptions, but I do believe the car was in Park and it engaged properly. That's because everytime I put it in Park, it either rolls forward or backward just slightly until the gear engages and the car stops moving/rolling in whichever direction. This is a good sign the Park gear is holding, right? Even until now it does this.

Also, if it helps in anyway, the engine was still running. Will this change anything? [?]

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2008 PT, 1998 neon--1965 VW 1200
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to iNeon Send a message via MSN to iNeon Send a message via Yahoo to iNeon

im going to revive this and say the same thing happened to me when i ran out of gas(no emergency lanes...) the exhaust hangers(little rubber doughnuts) broke, but it was at night, and i thought they were from the other guys car. i didnt know my bumper was all lopsided either, it looked fine by the road light.

Wonderfully sturdy machines, these old cars!!(79 240d)

Any advice on straightening a cockeyed bumper blade?=)

This signature removed to protect the innocent.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)

iNeon, chances are those will be pretty hard to straighten. And if you manage to, it won't fit properly. Get one from a junkyard, and if your bumper broke you can also get one from there (with all stuff in it too). Just be sure to have a friend with you, those are heavy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > MB Safety & Testimonials

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in