LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes-Benz's Reliability!

Which mercedes-benz (if any) can last 150,000 miles without having any problems at all, except regular maintance (changing oil, tires, etc.)

Thanks in advance! [:D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Aug 2002
re;

I would say pretty much any of them will. I've had a number of Mercs which all reached 150,000 miles with no problems. One W123 200 I owned from 73,000 miles had almost 300,000 miles when sold, the only major thing I replaced was the rear suspension mounts which was about three hours work. My present C180 has 148,000 miles and has no signs of wear. I think its safe to say the Diesels will out last the petrol engines (I know a 200D with over 600,000 miles now!) but 150,000 miles isn’t seen as high mileage on any German car, BMW and Audi likewise.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2003
(Thread Starter)
Well I had went to BMW forums, and they said some BMW's have minor engine problems like al...

Well I had went to BMW forums, and they said some BMW's have minor engine problems like aleternator, etc. at like 100,000. And JD power and associates said Lexus is world's more reliable car. So do ya think lexus and acura are more reliable than mercedes and bmw since Lexus IS300 people said it's 90% made with same materials as BMW 3 series.
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 89 260e
RE: Mercedes-Benz's Reliability!

lets face it, japanese cars are far more reliable compared with the german cars. People with trouble free benzes are probably the luckiest people on earth. Don't get me wrong, I love mercedes benzes. But if you go to a forum on toyotas or lexus' you wouldn't too many complaints compared with mercedes. I noticed in several posts that even in the dealerships, they sometimes do a hit-and-miss thing when it comes to finding out what really the problem is especially when it comes to the engine. Unlike in japanese cars its so easy to trouble shoot. Why do you think the toyota corolla is the world's best selling car and has a legendary reputation for reliabiity. Was there ever a time that mercedes or bmw topped the surveys in term of reliability and customer satisfaction? On the other hand, I like a mercedes for its ride, feel, safety, and prestige it gives you when you drive it.But hey, if you have the cash, go for mercedes.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 06:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Lexus IS300 people said it's 90% made with same materials as BMW 3 series?

As in the decomposition into atoms that make up the sheet metal, the plastics, the glass, etc...

That's laughable!

It's 100% Toyota Altezza is what it is, sold to the vain at a premium.

You list no location Haris, but I assume that you are in the US. Wait till next year and get a W211 E320CDI, that'll last you forever, assuming you actually purchase your vehicles...

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: C 111 Nardo
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:
Why do you think the toyota corolla
It has large appeal to the masses because it's cheap. If you are a utilitarian, or are less fortunate, it's an important feature.

Quote:
Was there ever a time that mercedes or bmw topped the surveys in term of reliability and customer satisfaction?
I see you drive a 1989 260E. Do you think a Corolla would have lasted you that long? Whether you bought it used or new has no bearing on the answer!
DO you not remember when japanese cars where just POSs? Remember when Nissan was Datsun, when you could read through the doors of a hole rusted Toyota?
We've had 2 MBs which literally went to the dealer for service only, and wear and tear like pads, wipers, tires, etc... the last W124 300E diesel topped 200,000 miles on that regime. We sold it, and still see it around town. The paint is as new, the engine runs liek new, the interior is flawlwss and spotless. I'll put that against any Toyota.

Sure enough, the japanese cars are very reliable these days, with Toyota on top of the list. But are they the safest cars? The most innovative? Packed with new technology?
No! No! And finally No!

If you don't care about these, you get a Toyota. If you don't care and want to show off in a Toyota, you buy a Lexus. If you care, you get a Mercedes-Benz, which is not as reliable as it used to be although a diesel will get you going forever, packed with great engineering and technology, but also on the bleeding edge which means reliability issues.

I feel so miserable without you; its almost like having you here.
-- Stephen Bishop
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 01:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2003
Vehicle: 89 260e

Actually, my point is simple. We have a reverence for Mercedes that engineered like no other car in the world. Its definitely true. They are always on the cutting edge of style and technology that the Japanese car companies copy. Mercedes are using more expensive and supposed to be more superior parts for their vehicles. So how come toyota, using cheaper parts and producing 7 times more cars than Mercedes has a better customer satisfaction and reliability record than Mercedes, considering the volume of vehicles? Sometimes our loyalty to a brand makes us blind to these shortcomings. Wouldn't it be nice for Mercedes vehicle to have the reliabilty of a toyota? I think realiabilty would be most welcome for MB owners.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 06:53 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: Widebody SEC
JD powers in perspective

too much weight is placed on the JD power ratings. we must remember that it is just a poll. the ratings are by average people with no technical qualifications or automotive knowledge for that matter. how many people really know cars? only those in the industry or fanatics on benzworld.org.

how many people will save for years to finally buy a lexus and then complain about their decision. there are many crap cars out there, we all know it, and people still buy them.

many high end cars have a harsh rating because their owners are much more demanding, as they should be. while the average joe would be satisfied with a timex, the Benz owner needs a rolex. we don't settle. which is why the engineers at Benz continue to strive for the perfection and technology their customers demand. car ownership is much more than the first few years, any car can achieve that. its the quantity of old benzes on the road that tell you the complete story.

JD power quotes on their web site:
"We do not rely on "expert opinion." Our product and service rankings in no way reflect the opinions or preferences of the firm, and we do not review, judge or test products and services ourselves."

according to JD powers, a 2002 pontiac aztec has a 5 out of 5 (among the best) for performance. that beats an 2003 SL500 (with 4 out of 5) according to JD powers.

500SEC AMG Widebody
ML320
SLK230
1974 280 Coupe

those who want the best car in the world, drive a Mercedes-Benz
those who want the best Mercedes-Benz, drive a w126

MBCA executive board member
Mercedes-Benz Club of Canada - active member
MBFanatics.org moderator
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 02:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2003

"Wouldn't it be nice for Mercedes vehicle to have the reliabilty of a toyota? I think realiabilty would be most welcome for MB owners"

Reliability of a Toyota? I'd be happy with the reliability of a YUGO!

"many high end cars have a harsh rating because their owners are much more demanding, as they should be. while the average joe would be satisfied with a timex, the Benz owner needs a rolex. we don't settle. which is why the engineers at Benz continue to strive for the perfection and technology their customers demand. car ownership is much more than the first few years, any car can achieve that. its the quantity of old benzes on the road that tell you the complete story."

If I bought a Rolex, it should tell me the time AT LEAST as well as the Timex. The extra money you pay is for the accoutrements of a Rolex including gold and jewels etc as well as the prestige factor. We all want something the average joe doesn't. It's human nature. But if you buy a Rolex and it tarnishes quickly or fails to tell time accurately, it will eventually attain a reputation as being a piece of junk and the bloom will be off the rose. They will quickly lose their luster and that's what's happening to MB now. More people are recognizing MB QC problems and before long, the average joe won't being trying to attain one. He'll look elsewhere. The quantity of old Bezes on the road DOES NOT have anything to do with anything. Go to a new Mercedes dealership and try and find a Benz over 4 years old. If they think they're so good, why won't they sell them? If you trade something older then a 2000 model year, it will generally go straight to the auction house. They know about the quality issues and they don't want to tarnish the reputation of the local dealership.

Some people are blinded by their perceptions. Mercedes was a car longed for by many. As people grow in age and in income and as Mercedes lowers its content value and price, many more are buying MB. At least for now. As they discover the QC problems, they won't be back. If you're old enough to remember, Cadillac was the luxury car to have. As GM let quality slide and as imports quality went up, guess what happened. The same thing is happening here as well. I hope they can stop the slide. The engineering and styling is good. Product delivery is not anywhere close to what it should be.
[
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1986 190E 2.3-16
Send a message via AIM to clavos21
RE: JD powers in perspective

One must also throw longevity into the quotient. When certain parts wear out on a Toyota the car becomes junk, whereas a Mercedes is designed to have the parts replaced and continue providing service to the owner. As an example, try replacing the windshield washer resevior on a Corrolla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in