post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:16 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2006 E55, 2005 SLK55, a few others
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Mercedes-Benz's Reliability!

Rule of thumb:

If it's a 560SEC, 500SEL, 300TD, etc. it's OK.
anything that's S500, E430, C240, with the letter designation first, is of the post quality era.[V]
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 72 280SE 4.5

The 1990's Mercs were still very high quality. I'm not surprised that yours is in great shape. Heck, my 1972 280SE 4.5 is still virtually pristine. Even the chrome and seats are absolutely perfect. This car is a daily driver (although it's 33+ years old)and I think everyone here knows that the quality of materials used were the best available at the time.

My beef is the recent models. Yes they look great, but . . .

post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:55 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2004

your right. it hurt my fealings. the letter designation seams simple enough.people that care about m.b.(it seams they dont care about the new owners) that are in denial need to get aducated. thats the only way to get across g.m. never got it.its always the $$$$$
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: Red 1987 560SL, Silver 2002 ML320
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Mercedes Benz Reliability

Here's my observations on this question:

I, too, have been puzzled by the 'reliability' ratings of new MB cars. The annual auto issue of Consumer Reports came in the mail yesterday and it - once again - lists MB cars as below average in reliability. Consumer Reports bases its rating on repairs reported by MB owners.

When I had the transmission rebuilt on my MB two years ago, the owner of the tranny shop said that MB transmissions don't last as long as they used too. He went further to say that only two automobile manufacturers make 'quality' transmissions these days. Most cars today use lighter materials, including parts for transmission. Of course the lighter materials are going to wear faster. He told me he regularly services Mercedes autos with 70k - 80k on the odometers.

This is the same for BMW, he said. As he was talking I looked past him and, sure enough, there were two late-model BMW's in his shop, up on the lifts.

He went on to say that MB cars like mine have transmissions that regularly last 150k - 200k. I was proud to tell him that my car had easily over 300k - how many miles, I don't know since the odometer quit working at the 250k mark (VDO gauges are notorious for failing after several years).

So, to my car - I have a 1987, 560SL that is my daily driver (I'm typing this at work and the car is sitting in the parking lot). As I said earlier, it has over 300k on the car. The only major work has been to replace the head gasket and rebuild the transmission. The other maintenance/repairs have been to replace parts that 'normally' wear-out.

There is no such thing as a "maintenance-free" car, and my SL is no exception. The fluids have to be changed at regular intervals. Spark plugs wear out. Hoses need to be replaced periodically. Electrical parts blow or burn-out. I could go on, but if you own an older car, you know what I'm talking about.

Years back when I bought my SL, an auto-mechanic friend of my dad's told me that my car "will last forever. That steel-block engine will last forever". So far, he is right.

-Teutonic Tomato
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 07:43 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by 190E2.6 View Post
I will know longer trust Consumer Reports. They say the new S-Class has "poor" reliability. My 2002 S430 has 17,000 miles of both very hard city and highway driving and nothing has gone wrong. How can Consumer Reports sum up a car's reliability with only a few months of testing it?
They don't; they use reports from their readers. I'd be curious to hear how your car is doing now that it has a few more years and miles on it. Mine also was pretty much OK at 17k miles (which is barely broken in) but since than has had all sorts of issues.

"Mercedes: Expensive and Built to Stay That Way"
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Originally Posted by Mike Wevrick View Post
I'd be curious to hear how your car is doing now that it has a few more years and miles on it. Mine also was pretty much OK at 17k miles (which is barely broken in) but since than has had all sorts of issues.
Agreed. I find it amusing that some posters here have very low mileage late model MB's and like to impress us with stories about reliability.

I have a ML with 39K miles that had a slew of warranty repairs fixed so far. And I'm convinced there will be more to come.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite mica/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
BenzWorld Extremist
Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Cool Let it go will ya'

If you want to listen to marketing, now called reports and surveys then do so and go be on a jap-benz forum, they will love your echoing of what you have 'learned' from the media.

See ya in a few years when you come back.

The finest example of automobile engineering in the world
Floats like a CADI
Stings like a BMR
Stingy as a Prius
and.... all Mercedes Benz.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2007 E350, Black on Black,
Originally Posted by tcp_ML500 View Post
It has large appeal to the masses because it's cheap. If you are a utilitarian, or are less fortunate, it's an important feature.

I see you drive a 1989 260E. Do you think a Corolla would have lasted you that long? Whether you bought it used or new has no bearing on the answer!
DO you not remember when japanese cars where just POSs? Remember when Nissan was Datsun, when you could read through the doors of a hole rusted Toyota?
We've had 2 MBs which literally went to the dealer for service only, and wear and tear like pads, wipers, tires, etc... the last W124 300E diesel topped 200,000 miles on that regime. We sold it, and still see it around town. The paint is as new, the engine runs liek new, the interior is flawlwss and spotless. I'll put that against any Toyota.

Sure enough, the japanese cars are very reliable these days, with Toyota on top of the list. But are they the safest cars? The most innovative? Packed with new technology?
No! No! And finally No!

If you don't care about these, you get a Toyota. If you don't care and want to show off in a Toyota, you buy a Lexus. If you care, you get a Mercedes-Benz, which is not as reliable as it used to be although a diesel will get you going forever, packed with great engineering and technology, but also on the bleeding edge which means reliability issues.
The diesel ENGINE may go forever but the rest of the car may still be a piece of crap. PLASTIC window regulator pulleys that fail and break, motormounts that don't last to 80k miles, spark plug wires that don't last to 60k miles, suspension bushings/tie rod ends that don't last to 75k miles, a headliner that rattles, a dash board that rattles, a drivers seat that rocks in it's rails (not even 85k miles), an outside temp gauge that stopped working, windscreen base molding that dry rotted by 60k miles...REAL QUALITY MATERIALS and workmanship on a 2002 E320.

This will be OUR LAST BENZ. The magic is gone, benzes are not what they used to be. The "prestige" of owning a benz is not worth the amount of money or time that they spend in the shop.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:28 AM
BenzWorld Elitist
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
There are lots of super-durable Mercedes-Benz automobiles.

They have names like W126, W123, R107, W111, and such.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1982 500 SEC (Euro)
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
There are lots of super-durable Mercedes-Benz automobiles.

They have names like W126, W123, R107, W111, and such.
HAHAHAHAHA!!! As one poster said before, if the letters are AFTER the numbers (500SEC, 300SD, 190E, 280SL...) then the car is super reliable.

And i would add, if the car model has a "D" letter in it, then it will be double (D) as reliable than its gasoline-powered siblings.

(D)=Double-mileage capable.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: