Mercedes-Benz's Reliability! - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
RE: Mercedes-Benz's Reliability!

I found this post a couple of pages back.

Frightning:

"50 Problems/Defects in 4 Years

If your Mercedes doesn't have problems
Don't worry
It will

Here's an email I sent to journalists at major newsmagazines.

Dear Journalist,

I enjoyed speaking with you today. I have included my list of Mercedes problems below.

I wish I had read your article before purchasing my Mercedes Benz ML430, which has had 50 or more problems, and 60 days of service in 4 years. It helps potential buyers make a more informed choice.

I had to return the vehicle on 20 or more occasions to Autonation (the dealer) for warranty repairs. All Mercedes is willing to offer as compensation is $1000, when purchasing a new Mercedes. Despite the many defects Mercedes Benz has not offered to repurchase the car.

The problems included a defective brake system, a defective electrical system, a defective navigation system, a defective washer system, a defective AC system, defective locks, defective trim, defective doors, windows and sunroof and a defective entertainment system.

In addition it often took 1 month to get the vehicle serviced. Often the dealer did not fix the problem on their first attempt, resulting in having to return the vehicle again for repair of the same defect.

I have attached a more detailed list of the problems below.

I get the impression that 1 out of 4 have many problems (not a formal survey).

I look forward to your next article about Mercedes Benz quality problems.

Sincerely
c

50 Mercedes Problems in 4 Years
1. Brake system defect (pump leak)
2. Wiper motor defect
3. Door problems (latch noises)
4. Door problems (maladjusted door)
5. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
6. Door lock malfunction (right rear door actuator)
7. Washer reservoir leaking
8. Lamp switch defect (stop lamp)
9. Fuel filter problem
10. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
11. AC problem. (AC fan speed switch knob malfunction)
12. Door lock malfunction (gas door actuator)
13. Trim problem (sunroof seal fell off)
14. Door problem (Rattle from inside left rear door - loose metal washer)
15. Trim problem (3rd brake lamp cover pops off even when re-secured
16. Trim problem (rear inside trim panel defective)
17. Window washer nozzle defective on right side
18. Command center malfunction (dead navigation system)
19. Door lock problem
20. Lamp problem (defective check engine light - right rear 02 sensor)
21. Rotor in rear changed at only 27500 miles
22. Sunroof shade problems
23. Sunroof guide clip missing
24. Sunroof shade problems
25. Trim problem (left outer seat trim cracked)
26. Sun roof frame defect
27. Seatbelt jammed (left rear)
28. Brake system defect (pad wear sensor defect)
29. Defect fuel door lock actuator
30. Rear door latch replacement
31. AC problem (system not cooling properly)
32. Sunroof motor connectors rattling
33. AC problem (blower motor rattle)
34. Window problem (switch bad)
35. Command center problem (CD changer error)
36. Window problem (clicking front left window)
37. Door lock problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
38. Door problem (insulation inside right door damaged due to melting glue)
39. Command center problem (CD changer error)
40. Trim crack (leather on steering wheel cracked)
41. Door problem (rear right/left door actuator defect)
42. AC problems (blower rattle)
43. AC problems (clicking sounds)
44. Trim crack (cracks in duct tape on door)
45. Door problem (rear left door actuator defect)
46. Washer reservoir crack
47. Right window washer nozzle defect
48. Lock problem (front left door actuator defect)
49. Car manuals taken from my car during service
50. Power steering problem (replacement of clamp for power steering hose due to possible fluid loss at radiator)"

Mind you this is a ML but I have heard simular
stories about the rest of MB's newer line-up.

The new MB's quality isn't what it was 20 years
ago.(I guess that MB lost money by over
engineering the W123 and needed to make a change).

Even the dealers service centers don't deliver
a quality job anymore.
It is all a business and your just a # because
of this customer service suffers.
Nothing is fixed anymore it's all R&R,easy,
quick and expensive.

Louis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 10:12 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1990 230E & '89 TE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone
Hope you don't mind a newbie butting in.

I am currently researching the purchase of my 1st ever Merc (can't decide between 190e and 230e).

I have found on the lemonorpeach web site that nearly all the posters with mercs from the early 1990's onwards are complaining about the poor quality of their cars and the owners with mercs older than that are delighted with theirs. Many of the posters said things like "...this is my third Mercedes and sadly my last..".

I'm glad I can only afford to buy a used 1980's model. [:)]

Any ideas about whether I should get a 190e or a 230e? [?]
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 06:25 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2003

Quote:
the last quality Mercedes was the W140 S-Class which came out in 1991
Depends on what you mean by quality. As far as materials and construction, yes. But as for reliability and ease of maintenence, God no. The W124 was the last simple, high quality Benz.

I think the engine in my '97 E420 is stellar, but I just hope I don't run into anymore electical gremlins. PITA right now trying to figure exactly how everything works. So much wiring in it, they shoved the darn ole' battery under the rear seat.[|)] Not as easy to check the water level on it.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 12:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1994 E320 Sportline
Send a message via AIM to idiosyncratic1

The complexity is probably due to all the electronic features & various electronic driving aids and such MB has begun to develope and use. My W124 has ABS, and alot of power stuff inside and well, some models had ASR, now there is ABC, ASR, ESP, Distronic, Parktronic, 4-matic, ADSII, Sensotronic Brake control, Brake assist, ABS, rain sensing, smart key, electronic everything and probably a whole bunch more i left out. They're no longer just making cars, they're making computers.

And as mercedes sais
"No system, no matter how sophisticated, can repeal the laws of physics or overcome careless driving actions." They should also add.. These systems will probably break down or suffer some glitch and then will require mass amounts of your cars time to sit in a shop and a large sum of your money to fix...
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2003

They should've stopped with ABS and ESP. Those are the only technologies that seem to be useful. Who the heck cares about ABC, airmatic suspension, or (for crying out loud) sensotronic brake control? Why why WHY, is it necessary to throw so much junk in our faces? Because that's the game they are playing. Trying to come out with the newest feature possible. No matter how stupid and unnecessary it may be.

And then you have all these people praising the E320 CDI W211. What a joke! Something goes wrong with that all-aluminum six cylinder electronically managed and injected diesel, it's big money!

All these supporters in North America for the CDI have never even driven or owned one before. So I say, shutup, stop praising the product, and drive one for yourself. Then report!

Sorry for getting off topic. But I hate people that support a product they think is superior in every way when in fact they have had no experience with it themselves. Had to vent. Again, sorry.[|)]
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 06:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1994 E320 Sportline
Send a message via AIM to idiosyncratic1

Haha, its alright, well doesnt bother me, we all have to vent at some point.

I agree with you on some levels, i love my car because it is a drivers car, i have driven some newer model mercedes ( as has my father ) and we both feel that Mercedes ride is to, posh and fake almost now. Refering to saything that they are no longer making cars but computers, well now your driving a computer, not a car. Ofcourse, on other levels Mercedes benz has always been ontop of leading age technology and a large market share for them are elderly people and people with money that will easily take the most technologically advanced and safe vehicle out there. Of course those are not the only reasons and i am not trying to stereo type all mercedes benz buyers.

Porsche has taken note of this desire for a drivers car, the new 911 GT3's only standard electronic feature is ABS, or so i have heard. (Thats all my car has and i love it, my dad often complains about the ASR on his 97 E420 sport, but atleast you have the option to turn it off.)

I guess Mercedes just had to decide which of its buyers to please those die hard Drivers wanting a car that is simple and fun to drive or those wanting the 3 pointed star in the front along with the prestige the car offers with its technology that can still be fun to drive,
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2004
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Actually, It's high time for MBZ to de-tech. There is just to much high tech electrical components. This is the major reason the new Benz's are suffering. To much electronics and wiring to keep together all the time [as stated, they have become a rolling computer]. Maybe they should offer the S in a special sports package edition without all the unneeded electronics [you can throw out the Nav also]. Just a great sound system, electric seats, electric windows, and a reliable AC. Take a lesson from Porsche, they are also most profitable auto MFG. in the world [warrenty claims will kill you].
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: 72 280SE 4.5

Sorry people, I don't buy it. The "well, there complex so that's why my ML is in the shop every two weeks" just doesn't cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I love my MB"s. Mine are all older cars, incredibly reliable, beautiful and well engineered. However the newer cars, especially the ML's are *NOT* well engineered. My best friend has one. He paid a breathtaking abount of money for it, and it's in the shop pretty much every 2-3 weeks. Three transmissions in 24 months. Something incredibly expensive is breaking about every 10'th time the car is used. Guss what the resale value of the ML is going to be like once the warranty is over? This car has about the same reliability of my 1981 VW Westfalia (with 389,000 miles), but the ML is a *BRAND NEW CAR* that cost an insane amount of money. Sorry, but if MB can't engineer a tranny that can put up with easy driving for longer than 6-8 months, then my conclusion would be 'crap engineering'. Sorry, if a GM did that, you would all laugh yourselves silly about it. If a car priced at more than double the GM does it, well, you just have a hard time not wanting to sue the people who sold it to you. BTW : GM has far superior reliability ratings than MB these days. Now *that* is a change from 10 years ago.

I am going to keep my older MB's running. I would never touch an ML - ever. I have no experience with the other new models, but I just can't accept that the owner of a premium priced car has to put up with worse reliability than a domestic econo-crap-box. No way. For now, I"m staying well clear of the new MB's until they get the quality and reliablity at least up to GM standards. (And GM's still suck)
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Send a message via AIM to danwatt

I have a 1990 Toyota Pickup, and a 1990 300SE (w126). Both of them have about 200,000 miles, but the Toyota is in disgraceful condition, while the Mercedes is still beautiful.

But it should be noted that both of the cars run perfectly fine. The Toyota burns oil pretty fast (need to change it every 1500 miles), but that's probably just some seals that need to be replaced anyways.

But the interior and exterior (body, trim, etc) on the Toyota is all falling apart. All made of cheap plastic and vinyl. I'll take pictures of both later today.

But this might also be the fault of the owner. What car is somebody going to take better care of, a Mercedes, or an old Japanese car?

When somebody on an old Mercedes breaks, the owner usually makes sure that it gets fixed. On an old Toyota, it doesn't really matter much. At least, that was how it was with me.

So it should appear that more 15+ year old Toyotas will be in worse condition then a Mercedes, but that probably isn't the car's fault.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 1990 300SE
Send a message via AIM to danwatt

Quote:
peter_g_ca - 1/5/2005 3:54 PM

I am going to keep my older MB's running. I would never touch an ML - ever. I have no experience with the other new models, but I just can't accept that the owner of a premium priced car has to put up with worse reliability than a domestic econo-crap-box. No way. For now, I"m staying well clear of the new MB's until they get the quality and reliablity at least up to GM standards. (And GM's still suck)
Well, they were made in America by Chrysler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in