LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: E500 Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Synthetic Oil... What weight/viscosity to use?

I just purchased a 2003 E500 Sport. The owners manual does not stated the Oil weight or viscosity. It does state to use Mobil 1 synthetic, but not the weight, e.g., 0w-30, 10w-30, 15w-50, etc. Can any tell me what weight to use? I do live in the south where the coldest temp. would be 30 to 40 deg's. I will use the Mobil 1 or Redline synthetic oil.... any comments?

2003 E500 Sport, Brilliant Silver/Charcoal, E2, E3, Parktronic, Active Ventilated Seats, Drive-Dynamic Seats, Pwr Rear-Window Shade, Rear Side Blinds, Tire-Pressure Monitoring Sys, Factory CD Changer, Fold Down Rear Seats, Blk Maple Steering Wheel, Zanio'ed to the MAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:52 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: MBE430
I run Mobil 1 15W and have encountered no problems in my 98' E430. You can also run AMS...

I run Mobil 1 15W and have encountered no problems in my 98' E430. You can also run AMSOIL of the same weight if you prefer.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 01:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 82 300 TD
Mobil 1 has a 0w-40 that is made specifically for european cars. I use it in my C 230 K...

Mobil 1 has a 0w-40 that is made specifically for european cars. I use it in my C 230 Komp and I live in a hot climate. I also use it in my girlfriends Golf 1.8T. Her Golf is turbcharged and it works perfect for both cars. I usually buy it at Autozone for 4 something a quart. Redline is a good product probably and does use a beefier basestock of polyol ester but is expensive and hard to get in my opinion. Amsoil just doesn't make sense to me. If I am not mistaken, they use the same type of basestock as Mobil 1, which is PAO(polyalhaolefin), but you have to put up with the inconvenience of the availabilty. Castrol synthetics are a joke. They are the ones who just recently had the court case where the outcome was to allow group III mineral basestocks to be considered synthetics. This is a crime in my opinion.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 09:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 86 560SEL
If you just bought a E500 2003 model, the services should be included in your purchase for...

If you just bought a E500 2003 model, the services should be included in your purchase for 50,000 miles, isn't it? Why worry about doing the oil yourself and taking the chance to void the warrantee? You can always ask your service adviser from where you bought your car and for service. Oil grade depends on where you locate and how you drive, I guess.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 04 CLK 55
RE: If you just bought a E500 2003 model, the services should be included in your purchase for...

Why would you be on a enthusiast's forum with that outlook. Just go ask your service advisor.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 12:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: '82 380SEC, '74 280S
RE: Synthetic Oil... What weight/viscosity to use?

Anyone have any real independent evidence of the advantages of Mobil One, Amsoil, and Redline synthetics over one another?

I cannot find any sources of a reputable, named testing center to vouch for the integrity of any of these synthetic oils.

In my opinion, the difference between AMSOIL and Mobil One really boils down to convenience and price. Mobil One sells for almost a $1 per quart cheaper (even with AMSOIL preferred customer status) and ~$2.70 cheaper than AMSOIL at retail prices. AMSOIL looks technically better but I highly doubt that anyone who isn't into seriously racing or running fleets will actually experience a statistically significant difference in AMSOIL vs. Mobil One synthetics.

Everyone has to do regular oil changes anyways so the extended drain interval marketing gimmick makes no sense and may in fact be more dangerous to your vehicle's engine or transmission. I say to get what makes sense, based on availability and cost and to look at the bottom line, statistically significant differences. Either Mobile One or AMSOIL should be good for the average consumer. One fundamental problem with AMSOIL is that they don't make it available at the retail level at national stores and they price higher. Why this is remains a mystery but pushes on business practice without questioning technical merits. Still Mobil One is so much easier to obtain and cheaper, making it an easy sell. You would think if AMSOIL was serious about their synthetics that they would make their product as easily available as Mobil One. Nobody could really care less if AMSOIL is the first in synthetics. It all boils down to common sense and staying away from gimmick advertisement from either company. AMSOIL is great if you're rich and can find it easily. Otherwise, don't feel bad about other synthetics that come measurably close.

Still, where's the true name-recognized independent testing? Who is really there to verify any of these claims? Average Joe simply doesn't cut it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 1972 250C, Ducati ST

My newest car is a 1995, so I don't know what the recommended oil change intervals are for the newer Mercedes models, but if you do some research, you'll find that the whole "change your oil every 3,000 miles" is largely an American marketing phenomenon.

I was talking to some friends that recently came back from being stationed in Germany, and they said that with synthetic oils, most people there change their oil about once a year, somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 miles.

With modern synthetic oils and factory-applied cylinder bore coatings like "Nikasil", engine wear really isn't as much of a concern as it used to be. I've disassembled 100,000-mile engines that still had the factory cross-hatch honing marks on the bores!

Scott
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
mkassab - 1/13/2003 9:02 PM

I just purchased a 2003 E500 Sport. The owners manual does not stated the Oil weight or viscosity. It does state to use Mobil 1 synthetic, but not the weight, e.g., 0w-30, 10w-30, 15w-50, etc. Can any tell me what weight to use? I do live in the sou th where the coldest temp. would be 30 to 40 deg's. I will use the Mobil 1 or Redline synthetic oil.... any comments?
See http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html [;)]
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 01:53 PM
AMSOIL300CDT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

as a AUTOMOTIVE PERFECTIONIST, there is only one way to go, for MY car, and thats with the best money can buy.....

on average, Mobil One creates MORE wear, during the ASTM 4 Ball Wear Test, than a CONVENTIONAL Petro Oil....of the same weight........

now, for most people, who SIMPLY DONT CARE.....all this doesnt matter....

then it will unfortunately come down to availability, and pricing....for me however, the extra wait, and 2 dollars per quart, are MORE than worth it....

i go for 12 k miles, on my diesel, between oil changes, using Amsoil Series 3000 Heavy Duty Diesel 5w-30 (their best diesel oil.......their best gas oil, Series 2000, is good AND GUARANTEED, to have 1 year, 35k mile drains...) (ATF 3 times manufacturer interval)

upon switching to ALL amsoil fluids....i experienced about 100 miles per tank more.............highway..

city-wise, i can accelerate like HELL.....which unfortunately sucks diesel like mad...which is why i havent much change here, i cant keep my foot off, at the lights.....[:D]

as far as base-stocks go, only 2 PEOPLE in the WORLD know the formulation, for the Polyalphaolefin Molecule, used as the base for all Amsoil products....this is because it's PROPRIETARY, and thus other companies DONT use it, as they dont know what it is....

Amsoil took 7 YEARS of initial development, by the top chemists in the country, before marketing the first 100 percent synthetic motor oil, in 1973, with drain intervals of 25k miles...

that year, MOBIL OIL co, decided it needed to find a way to put down this new competitor....

they started 60 percent synthetic Mobil One, as a way to counter this...also offering 25k mile drains...

after 2 years of bad seals, and blown motors, and LAWSUITS (which Amsoil never has had), they reduced the drain interval to 3 k miles.......and have had it there ever since, until they're "NEW" and "REVOLUTIONARY" 15 k drain interval, that they now spend 100's of millions advertising....

still only second best....and twice the wear and half the drain interval as well....Hmmmmm, which one should I use...?

So, by now, ur all mad, and wanting to defend the old beliefs, since you have always heard them, and want to say "Hey, dont say that, it CANT be true.....caus I didnt see it on TV..." and want to get me banned, as an "advertiser".......well, what do u think u are doing for Mobil One, telling people to use it? free advertising....

Besides, i speak ONLY the truth, and dont even work with their company at all.....i am a delivery driver, for Papa John's Pizza, right now i'm on my break, in between lunch, and evening shifts.......I use their products, to ENSURE that i get the best mileage, and most protection, for all the running-starts i do, and stop and go, and idling alot.....my oil press gauge Never wavers......and i get to save money, by only changing my oil, every 12 k............

so, that was long, but i'v spoken my piece.....if anyone had a question, i would be happy to help answer it for u, or give u steer in the direction of the info u may want....however, dont expect me to respond to criticism's or claims that i'm lying, or wanna say that the seals will leak (they actually swell using amsoil, stopping leaks), or that the oil is "too thin" (crap, amsoil has a HIGHER film strength than any other oil, petro or not)....as i really dont have the time to waste......take this as u will, i can only say that it is the TRUTH, and nothing more........have a nice day....! [:)]

EDIT: oh yeah, so all bases are covered, i will say this "Mobil One is a GREAT product.....compared to many...i would much rather see u fill that in, than "Wal-Mart Supertech"...".........its just, that its not PERFECTION............

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:09 PM
AMSOIL300CDT

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Quote:
GotTheBenz - 9/29/2005 1:11 PM

One fundamental problem with AMSOIL is that they don't make it available at the retail level at national stores and they price higher. Why this is remains a mystery....
1. Mobil OIL Co. spends 100's of millions a year on advertising, Amsoil DOESNT......

"the product sells itself, based on that its the best....if someone was worried enough about their car/truck, they will get our product..."

-thats the policy, by company founder/owner Col. Al Amatuzio (USAF Ret.)

2. For the same reason, it is not sold at "autozone" or "Wal-Mart", caus TRUE car enthusiasts know that these stores are useless, except to buy brake spray, and car washing soap.....

as far as price goes, its just like MB versus Kia....u GET what u PAY for...

If u are into Motocross, or GP racing, or snowmobile racing,or 4 wheeling, or champ boats series, or NHRA drag racing, do a search, on these sports, and include "amsoil" in the search parameter....

u will be SHOCKED to see how big Amsoil really is.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in