Would anyone keep their old car in preference to a new one? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 11:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: Various Rental Cars
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Would anyone keep their old car in preference to a new one?

Depends...

I think I'd keep my E420 to a newer one even if I could. Just because I grew up dreaming of owning a W124 one day (I was a little kid who was fascinated by W124s).

The Celica.. yes... I'd trade it for a newer car in a heartbeat :-p

2008 BMW 335i Coupe || 1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:23 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 93 320 CE, '55, 220a, '72, 280SE 3.5, '88 Mini Mayfair, '90 Peugeot 205GTI, .04 Mini Cooper
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

I would agree totally with the sentiments of Greg in Oz and Lou'sw123. I have never had a car less than 7 years old mainly as I aim to get the best car for my money. I have driven new C and E class cars but I feel they lack something over the older ones I can't put my finger on it but with the exception of high value cars most these days are very similar in feel and lack character. I may be biased as I drive a 13yo 230TE, 1955 220a, 1990 Puegeot 205GTI and a 1988 Mini. Similar to Greg my father has a 1992 190E and a 1971 W108 280SE 3.5 ( now there is a high speed cruiser), my brother has a 1992 220TE, 1986 190e and a 1972 BMW 2002Ti. The rest of my brothers and sisters drive new but mundane cars and ther is no comparison. As Lou stated if you have a breakdown in an older car there is not much you cant fix at the side of the road to get you home. Having been in my brothers ( another one ) new audi TT when it stopped when I lifted the bonnet all there is is a sheet of plastic [:0]. Back to the point I prefer old mercs and would not change to a new one as apart from all the electronics that go wrong some of the styling has been lost. Just look at a 124 wagon compared to a new one, it just has lost all that grace and balance.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 05:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1993 300TE, 2006 E350 4-matic wagon

My ultimate Benzie Pooh would be a 1993 to 1995 300TE body style - black - with the suspension and power train of a 1998 or 1999. Put another way, I appreciate some of the engineering advances that have been implimented since my 1993 300TE rolled out, but wouldn't especially want all the techno-pampering of 2000 and post 2000 models. It's just not me. While, where style is concerned, I think the post 2000 designs simple "ain't there yet" for most models.

Were I actually to win a new Mercedes in one of those MBCA raffles, I’m certain I’d trade it in for an older one.

Glenn White
Washington, DC

[8D]
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2003

this is an excellent thread with very good comments. I drove an '84 300D for 7 years and i loved it. BF_JC230, or jake, it was kind of like yours, except i had 17" brabus wheels and a pristine beige leather interior (I was dying to get that amg body kit and lowering springs, but i could not find those things anywhere--where did you get those from?) I had a high quality professional, show-quality paint job and european bumpers, an in dash nakamichi six disk changer with high powered amps and subs, custom, newer-style oem benz steering wheel, brabus gearknob,... --the car was (and still is) in literally perfect, better than new condition. Anyway, I loved the car put over 100,000 miles on it and always kept it clean and shiny.

I just recently upgraded to the new e-class, and i am sorry to say, but there is no way in hell I would ever go back to driving the W123. all the new gadgets are actually quite useful, many of which do, in fact improve your safety significantly. As for the ride and handling, they are top notch. The smoothness of the car is unbelievable, as is the steering feel (especially with 19" inch, high performance tires [:D]) and the braking feel is second to none. The stereo sounds amazing, and the overall driving experience is great. For those that said they test drove the newer benzes and didn't like the feel, etc... let me tell you-test driving a car and actually owning one and driving it on a regular basis is a completely different story...the more i drive this car, the more i love it. You really get to know your car when you drive it daily and start learning how to handle it in different dirving conditions, etc... (which is probably the reason we all enjoyed driving our old, outdated benzes so much) And the best thing is that I was so used to (and really enjoyed) the overall feel of my older benz, and this ones takes all that was good and makes it a hundred times better...

As far as build quality, yes the newer ones do have many problems that are usually caused by the complexity of the car's computer and electrical systems, but once I got my problems sorted out by the dealer shortly after delivery (all of which was fully covered under warrenty), its been totally trouble free (knock on wood)

To those commenting on the arrogance of new mercedes drivers, please do not generalize...believe me, I see what you all are talking about all the time, but most people actually give me props when they see my car (especially with the subtle, but NICE mods i've got on it[;)]) and it all depends on each individual's attitude (I don't consider myself arrogant in the least)

bottom line, in my opinion-- newer benzes are far better in every respect than older ones (and they should be, considering their price [:(!]) but may be lacking in build quality and character when compared to the classics...

my $.02
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE

I think many of the newer MBs are beautiful cars incorporating advanced features and technology in the MB tradition. However, on my way to work the other day in my 126 sedan a large car transport truck pulled up next to me at a stoplight. Like any good motor head I check out the new cars; at first glance I thought to myself “what are those? Nissans, Hondas?� It was not until I noticed the classic three pointed stars in the middle of the rims that they were new MBs, confirmed by the hood stars.[:(] It must be a loose/loose situation for DC designers: they feel the need to keep up with newer general car designs. I’ll keep my older MBs.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 05:34 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003

I think I would rather have my parent's 95 E320 Wagon than a new E320 wagon even though the new one looks great. The new car doesn't seem to be as solid as my parent's 95 E320 Wagon. It is even fun to drive.

Plus, as a BMW fan, I prefer I-6s to V-6s.

I would also take a mint W124 500E/E500 over a new E500.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 05:02 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 95 E300D
new engines in old bodies is best

Having talked to many taxi drivers in 124 and new mercs they all say the 124 is better built and takes more punishment. Most merc mechanics I have spoken to seem to say the same. However problem is that engines always seem to get better with the newer models, more power, quieter, less emissions longer service intervals. So my conclusion has been buy the most recent version of an older body to get the best of both worlds for example the M606 3.0 diesel appeared in the last 2 years of the W124 Wagon in the uK (95-96). I have absolutely no desire to upgrade to a newer E class and expect the 124 to outlast newer E classes. Also in a perverse sort of way I think there is something rather exclusive about having a superb example of a 10+ year old car which still runs and feels like new, whereas anyone with the right amount of cash can walk in and drive off a new one. Each to his own I guess.

Keith

Keith

95 E300D Wagon 170k miles
ex - 94 SL320 58k miles
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 1993 300TE, 2006 E350 4-matic wagon
RE: new engines in old bodies is best

This is exactly how I feel. If I found a 1995 300TE in better condition I my consider otherwise, but I plan to invest in my 1993.

...But then, I'm still listening to Hendrix, Piaf and Dizzy.

Glenn
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
Send a message via AIM to BF_JC230

moa4r
Thanks - i made/formed the body kit, and the lowering springs came from eurocarparts.com the whole car is a project to keep my father and i close and busy and to teach me how to built/modify cars (he and his buddies have and do build many a hotrod,streetrod,classic...)

and i strongly agree with the fact that a newer car is a better car in every way (but personal taste, feelings and design taste)...my moms work car - a ford focus zts rides/brakes/corners/steers/ect better than mine...but i dont like it more

one of my best friends is a designer for chrysler and last weekend we went to detroit for the autoshow and some behind the scenes stuff - and i really liked the new 300c, it seemed like a very well built car, was comfortable and drove amazing...and was very much MB -even the universals on the drivetrain were the three bolt flex disk...but i dont really think i would want one -

another best friend just bought a new audi a4, more or less because he had to have teh reliablity...but he always complains and misses his old corrado, he loves the audi - but its going to go through a few changes before it becomes his and not another white a4

where as keith stated -
Also in a perverse sort of way I think there is something rather exclusive about having a superb example of a 10+ year old car which still runs and feels like new, whereas anyone with the right amount of cash can walk in and drive off a new one. Each to his own I guess.

i agree very much, right now in my life (8 months out of college) - thats my position and i have nothing against any one elses ideas or way of doing things...

ill just keep the old SC Mercedes, TC Corrado and Cobra (summer 2004).

in my little home town i like the fact that when im driving, and a friend sees me, they know its me (who else could it be?) and they honk and or wave...
yeah - i like that.

nice post all - Jake

Best retrofit to date...Code 248!
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 07:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
BF_JC230 - 1/20/2004 9:46 PM

moa4r
Thanks - i made/formed the body kit, and the lowering springs came from eurocarparts.com the whole car is a project to keep my father and i close and busy and to teach me how to built/modify cars (he and his buddies have and do build many a hotrod,streetrod,classic...)

and i strongly agree with the fact that a newer car is a better car in every way (but personal taste, feelings and design taste)...my moms work car - a ford focus zts rides/brakes/corners/steers/ect better than mine...but i dont like it more

one of my best friends is a designer for chrysler and last weekend we went to detroit for the autoshow and some behind the scenes stuff - and i really liked the new 300c, it seemed like a very well built car, was comfortable and drove amazing...and was very much MB -even the universals on the drivetrain were the three bolt flex disk...but i dont really think i would want one -

another best friend just bought a new audi a4, more or less because he had to have teh reliablity...but he always complains and misses his old corrado, he loves the audi - but its going to go through a few changes before it becomes his and not another white a4

where as keith stated -
Also in a perverse sort of way I think there is something rather exclusive about having a superb example of a 10+ year old car which still runs and feels like new, whereas anyone with the right amount of cash can walk in and drive off a new one. Each to his own I guess.

i agree very much, right now in my life (8 months out of college) - thats my position and i have nothing against any one elses ideas or way of doing things...

ill just keep the old SC Mercedes, TC Corrado and Cobra (summer 2004).

in my little home town i like the fact that when im driving, and a friend sees me, they know its me (who else could it be?) and they honk and or wave...
yeah - i like that.

nice post all - Jake
Yes you are right about everything... I had similar experiences and feelings with my old w123 (again, very similar to yours--same color, same condition, etc...)everyone around town knew me, and yes, not too many other oldies in that condition, but I just couldn't get over that annoying diesel engine, especially in the cold. I probably would have kept driving it if it were a gasoline engine, anyway keep it up you have a very nice car,, good luck with everything.
btw, sure, anyone can go in and buy and new benz, but not everyone can make theirs unique by giving it a little character by adding some small things to it---i'll try to post some pictures of my cars when i get a chance to...
ps the new 300c really is an interesting car,, did you really get to drive it??!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in