Wife sideswiped in 2001 E. Help! Repair questions... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2002, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 1998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wife sideswiped in 2001 E. Help! Repair questions...

Am fighting w/insurance adjuster over 5' square dent in lower front drivers door by the pillar. (They're replacing the FL fender.) Body shop insists they can repair door good as new with just a 'little' bondo. I say no way!<br> <br> Won't bondo lower the car's value? Not to mention look great for 2 yrs then start cracking in our Colorado temp. extremes? Not to mention the door/fender gap might not be right, door won't close the same, etc. (had this problem in a Porsche door repair before!)<br> <br> Help! Any support for making the insurance company agree to a new door is greatly appreciated!<br> <br> (Ivan and Sthu, I can relate!!)<br> <br> <br> 2001 E 320<br> 2002 SLK32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Re: Wife sideswiped in 2001 E. Help! Repair questions...

I run an independent body shop..... if the repairs are done correct you should not be able to see that the repairs have been done. Any large shop with a good rep. should stand behind the work they do, not only the repair work also the paint, my shop has a lifetime warranty on paint and workmanship the paint warranty is provided by the manufacturer i.e dupont. I think you will have a long battle with the insurance company about replaceing a part that can be repaired.The door is also sold in two pieces the door shell ... and the door skin ... some people beleave that a door skin is better than repairing the door. The door skin is just the outer part of the door, this is not the best choice. By replaceing the door skin you disrupt factory welds and corrosion protection. So if they throw that idea at you you will be much better off with door repair or complete door shell relacement. so to be so long winded <br> stupidcarguy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks. But, isn't resale better with an all new door than repaired?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Re: Thanks. But, isn't resale better with an all new door than repaired?

The diffrence with a new door. the door has a sticker that says DOT R where as the factory door has a VIN sticker that matches the rest of your car. again if the repair is done correct the inside of your door will look factory,most car lots/dealer look for DOT R sticker/ VIN sticker as a first sign.Depending on the severaty of your repairs your door will stay on the car which keeps factory adjustment ( opening & shutting ) and also marks on the bolts .... chipped paint .....keep in mind no two doors are the same yours was made on assembly line months/years ago the new one may only be weeks old ,therefore the will have to adjust to fit could possible have wind noise.Everything goes back to good quality shop if you trust the and they are good eather way will be fine.Be sure and voice your concerns to the shop of your choice get there opinion ... depending on the amount of damage i would take repair anyday .By the way what color is your car
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

The diffrence with a new door. the door has a sticker that says DOT R where as the factory door has a VIN sticker that matches the rest of your car. again if the repair is done correct the inside of your door will look factory,most car lots/dealer look for DOT R sticker/ VIN sticker as a first sign.Depending on the severaty of your repairs your door will stay on the car which keeps factory adjustment ( opening & shutting ) and also marks on the bolts .... chipped paint .....keep in mind no two doors are the same yours was made on assembly line months/years ago the new one may only be weeks old ,therefore the will have to adjust to fit could possible have wind noise.Everything goes back to good quality shop if you trust the and they are good eather way will be fine.Be sure and voice your concerns to the shop of your choice get there opinion ... depending on the amount of damage i would take repair anyday .By the way what color is your car
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2002, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Another shop said you can buy all the right stickers.... all but the VIN tag.

I'm worried about the gaps between the door and the fr. fender. <br> <br> I'm worried about the door closing easy and tight like it did originally.* <br> <br> I'm worried about there being a little wave in the paint that is imperceptible 99% of the time --until you park in the sun just right and it's noticeable big time.*<br> <br> I'm worried about what bondo does to my resale value when I go to sell or trade it in.<br> <br> * = These were problems with a beautiful 911 I had with a high dollar door repair.<br> <br>
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2002, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)

The perception a large quantity of filler is used is wrong. The metal is pulled and hammered and then just a very thin coat of filler is applied. Restorations costing tens of thousands also use so called bondo. Its all in the skill of the repairer and painter. You shouldn't be able to tell new metal from a repair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in