LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 1998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
NY Times article

...any comments on today's article in the NY Times, about a recent European study that had Mercedes quality below that of Ford Focus and Opel?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
yes ... ( this is a long post)

My family has had mercedes benzes since I was 6, so i am very close to these cars. Well I know own one (clk) and I can tell you they dont make them like they used to fit and finish is weak. <br> The engine are like tank meaning it can last you for a lifetime ( at a cost of course) But ever since they had to compete with the Japs with gagetry and electronics ... well just see how long it takes you to get an appointment at the dealership. My car has been plauged with fit/finish ride and some electronic issues from day one ... After in depth dealership dealings, i have realized it is just the nature or the current beast ... but Benz will never admitt it . If you ask me benz has gotten comfortable with thier name and has really lost quality in thier cars ... Then again we have to remember that us spec benzes are very different from Europe/Africa spec versions .....(which is what i grew up on)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
How are they different?

Great write up. I would have to agree. I own a W126 and it feels more solid than the new ones. It is literally a tank. If you sit in a new one and just flick the switches you can tell the difference. In mine, nothing has play, everything is super tight. In new ones, things are looser and just feel somewhat cheaper esp if it has any miles on it. Mine has 165,000 and it super tight, no rattles or anything. As far as your comment about how US spec cars are very different than euro/africa cars...what do you mean by that? Are you referring to quality? US cars and euro cars, as well as right hand drives are built right next to eachother on the same line in Sindelfingen. The differences I know of extend to headlights, bumpers and maybe some minor engine tuning and emmissions. But as far as build quality goes, they are all the same to my knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in