LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2002, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 1998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Upgraded phone support maybe!

I have heard a rumor that MB is going to offer upgrades/support for owners of the integrated phone from the 2000 model year onward.<br>
<br>
This was prompted by AT&T's decision to dump their TDMA network for GSM, with rollout scheduled to start this year.<br>
<br>
I will keep you posted as I hear more. I would welcome anything you all might have heard on this topic.<br>
<br>
I am very disappointed that MB was not forward-thinking enough to anticipate the need to change the phones so quickly because of evolving technology.<br>
<br>
Up until now, the only upgrade path has been to buy a new car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2002, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Re: Upgraded phone support maybe!

OK, here is some more information on the phone situation. Mercedes is claiming that 2001 cars can be retrofitted with the new V60 from Motorola right now. If your car came with the the Timeport phone, you will need the install kit and the phone itself. As far as the 2000 models are concerned, it is a little more complicated. The cars that came with the StarTac (AT&T, Verizon, Cingular, Alltel, Sprint Etc....) are faced with making a choice. Mercedes is claiming that they are working to see if these cars can be retrofitted with the V60 as well. The issue is not the car or the fiber-optic wiring, rather it is the antennae that came with these cars. The problem is that the 2000 models came with a dual mode antennae (800 megahertz digital/800 megahertz analog) With all of the carriers allowing nationwide roaming and all of the agreements being based on using the higher capacity digtal network, the carriers are wanting all phones to be dual mode and dual band. This means your phone and antennae must be (800mgtz digital 800 mgtz analog and 1900 mgtz digital. Are you still with me??? So what Mercedes is saying is that since the antennae in the 2000s is not capable of the 1900mgtz digital signal, it won't work. Now hear comes the good part. I have had many conversations with certified mercedes phone installer (who will remain nameless to protect his identity) and he claims this is pure 100% horseshit and that he could virtually gaurantee the V60 to work in my 2000 E55. So, I am about to buy the kit and the phone and give it a whirl. He says most of the major metropolitan areas carry their digital traffic on the 800mgtz portion of the network and it is possible that on the edges of the network I could experience difficulty. I will get back with ya on the results
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2002, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Re: Upgraded phone support maybe!

Just to let you know, your anonomous friend is quite right: a signal is a signal is a signal, and the chances of a 800Mhz antenna not working with a 1900 Mhz transmitter are too small to worry about. There might be SWR and load-matching concerns, but since the capacitive-output type VHF/UHF circut became standard more them 20 years ago, this is no longer a valid concern.<br> And even back then, let me tell you how (un)important perfectly matched antennas are: in the late 1960's a ham radio friend of mine was assigned to a research project high in the Andes, and he of course took his ham rig with him, in addition to a very expensive 'Thunderbird' brand yagi beam antenna. The first winter storm was no respecter of price tags, and blew the thing flat. My friend then fell back on plan B, and hoisted a simple metal pole of the right length for the 20 metre band-- the next storm blew that one flat too. In desperation, my friend loaded up TO AN OLD BED SPRING THAT HE FOUND IN THE TRASH, which was covered with rust and had only the virtue that it could be kept inside the building, safe from old man winter. According to the antenna manufacturers of the day, my friend should have had a maximum range of ten to twenty miles.<br> I had many pleasant, clear-as-a-bell conversations with him from my home in British Columbia-- ten thousand miles away!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Upgraded phone support

My 1999 SL500 have analog phone that nolonger offer. The dealer told me that nothing they can do<br> to upgrade to digital. It this true?<br> Help.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2004, 05:22 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 2000 S-430 (AMG)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Upgraded phone support maybe!

So, fellow Benz cell phone users and frustrated owners, I see the last discussion on this topic was in 2002. Is there any further progress on this from MB? Thanks.

I think the StarTac was a revolutionary phone in its time, but mine is almost no use with the newer plans that are available. And paying 60-70 cents a minute or more for roaming is just not practical in this day and age of all carriers offering free included long distance.

Imran
http://www.imran.com
http://www.imran.com/flying/
http://www.imran.com/boating/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:49 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 01 ML55 AMG

I have the same problem with my 2001 ML55 AMG. Installed V60i phone wth ATT&T, TDMA technology. After Cingular purchased, was required to upgrade to GSM technology. Guess what, Mercedes does not have retro kit to upgrade and does not have V60i with GSM technology and appears not to care!! I have complained to both my local dealer and MBUSA but to no avail. Your article was timely; please keep me informed of any additiona information about this problem that might be forthcoming.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2003
Vehicle: 2000 SL600

I can tell you from experiene the antenna issue just ISN'T. I upgraded to the MIK box solution and installed a Verizon V710 in my 2000 SL600.

It works flawlessly !!!

Install was exactly by the book and performance exceeded expectaions.

Mercedes knowledge in this area is questionable as indicated by the lousy instructionx for use of voice dialing, phone book among other things.

Range, sound/connection quality is perfect with the solution I implemented so don't wait for an MB solution.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 02 ML320

I'm a new MB ownwer and new to the forum. I bought a preowned ML that has an integrated Timeport phone. Because of the new FCC regs relating to E911, the carriers won't activate the phone even though the previous owner was using the phone. Is there an easy or reasonably priced option for upgrading to a usable phone?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2003
Vehicle: 01 SLK 320 MT6

www.mikbox.com

Kirill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > General Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in