Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2000 e320 AC sometimes doesn't blow?

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mrboca 
#1 ·
As of recently the AC in my e320 has been making a weird hissing noise when running. However about 30% of the time it wont turn on at all no matter what I do. When it does turn on which is the other 70% of the time it works great. I'll go to the store while the AC isn't working and come back turn on the car and it's working fine. Sometimes it will kick in 5 minutes into a drive and sometimes not at all. When it's not working I can feel cold air seeping through the vents but it's not blowing. Do you guys think that this is the regulator? Where should i start with this one?

#3 ·
When it is not working, remove the lid under the dash and the blower. With the a/c on, tap the blower frame with a rubber mallet. If it starts running, it is more than likely that either you have a bad connection or a bad blower. The regulator does not respond to mechanical shocks unless it has an internal bad connection which is rare.

#9 ·
I dealt with such issue on W124 but from my observation MB does the same blower design for long decades.
Somewhere on top of fuse box you should have connectors going to regulator.
When the thing quits, measure voltage on them.
Than thinking about them, blower brushes are not lifetime item. Do you think they should last 18 years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.