Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just Purchased CPO 2016 S550 and Have Problems - Need Advice

6K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  Coddger 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2016 CPO S550 with 11k miles from Mercedes Benz of Melbourne Florida on December 31, 2016. On Jan 1 my wife was driving the car with windows open and heard a metallic noise while breaking. I called Randy Weber at MB of Melbourne who sold us the car and he told me to bring the car to my local dealer (Melbourne is 140 miles away) and if it isn't warrantee, Melbourne will cover it. I brought the car to MB of Delray Beach and they said that all of the brake pads and rotors need to be replaced due to overheating damage (hot spots) and that this should have been done during CPO certification. The car has been at Delray dealer now for 4 days because Melbourne is now refusing to pay and has been trying to get MB USA to pay. I told them that this should not be my problem and I should not be without my car and that they should pay with a credit card and get reimbursed if they think they will. Now they are telling me that they are going to pick the car up and drive it back to their shop to have the repairs done (280 miles put on my car). I have no confidence in their service shop obviously and am very disappointed. On another note, I purchased the car in my wife's name, trade in was in her name, all paperwork was in her name and they new this very clearly. The car was somehow registered in both of our names. For personal reason I need the car in her name and now if I change the title to her name it is going to show up as she is the 3rd owner which obviously would depreciate the value of the car. Does anyone find this acceptible? How would you handle this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just too many things wrong in this whole scenario. :( Purchased the car on Dec. 31 & the next day on Jan 1st, brakes & rotors fails & needs replacement? At 11,000 miles? I couldn’t imagine HOW this car was driven by the first owner:confused: I hope you purchase an ELW (at least) on this car.

1. When you brought the car at Delray Beach, they should have put you on a complimentary loaner car.
2. I would have immediately contacted MB USA & ask to speak to a case manager once I found out about the dealership’s warranty refusal.
3. A day after purchasing the car, you should have the option to return it for obvious reasons & not disclosing the condition of the brake system. It’s a safety concern.

You mentioned, “I purchased the car in my wife's name, trade in was in her name, all paperwork was in her name and they knew this very clearly. The car was somehow registered in both of our names.” Question: Did you pay for the car in cash or did you financed it? :dunno:

Assuming it was financed – it will be almost impossible to remove your name on the financial obligation as it appears that both of you purchased the car. Not my business to know, but will your wife qualify in financing the car on her own?

Now, if the car was paid in full, no problem. :) You simply quit claim in ownership. BUT you can't simply remove your name from a car title in all situations: You must have the proper permission to do so. If the wording of your car title says "And/Or," at the top where it refers to the owner of the vehicle, you don't need to receive permission from your wife to remove your name. However, if the title says "And" only, you need legal permission from your wife on the vehicle title. If a name is listed with the word "And" and is followed by another name, this means that both parties have legal ownership of the car.

If it was the other way around, (i.e., you got married) & yours is the only name on the title, but wants to add your wife, no further permissions are needed.

Incidentally, I once had one of my cars at my dealer for 26 days (bad part ordered/reordered installed/incorrectly programmed, etc.) & kept a complimentary loaner for 23 days.:) Just telling you that if you have one of their loaner cars, it wouldn’t take 4 days to correct a CPO purchase as it is costing them to pay for the loaner car daily. They will get it done ASAP!

Sorry to hear you are in this predicament. :frown

Attachments

Reactions: LostInTime
#3 ·
Really appreciate your response. Let me clarify some items for you. Delray Mercedes Benz could have had the rotors and pads repaired the first day - they were waiting for payment from either me or Melbourne Mercedes Benz so the car sat their for 4 days because Melbourne was messing around and kept telling me they will pay for it each day and then not making payment. Then Melbourne finally said they want the car to be repaired at their shop and want to send someone down with a loaner and then drive my wifes car back up (around 280 miles round trip). They have not responded to my telling them that if they don't want Delray to make the repairs then they have to flatbed my wife's car round trip. I tried to reach out the Mercedes Benz USA yesterday and they were closed but will be doing so today. An yes I did purchase an additional 2 year warranty on the car from Mercedes.

Regarding the title issue the car was paid all cash less a trade in which was free and clear. My wife is the second owner and I was told by the tag office that if the title is changed to her name solely that it will be considered a transfer of ownership and will be picked up by carfax and now we will own what will appear to any buyer of the car from us as a 3 owner car.

I also told the Melbourne dealer after Delray checkout out the car and Melbourne didn't immediate pay for the repairs as they said they would, that I would like to return the car and have our trade in back and completely unwind the sale. They said "that can't be done". I am really hoping and praying that MB USA intervenes otherwise these guys are going to be flamed on every online resource where they can be reviewed including rip-off-report and will also be hearing from my attorney.

#4 ·
Glad that the Service Director at your dealer came back to his senses.(Dealer Fraud, yikes! :mad:) Forgot the detail about the flatbed, yes, they can't physically drive cars being serviced, except for 4-5 miles to test, in your case rolling it to a flatbed. Your wife must be mad, but being a second owner of the car will have to stick :(

Aside from the free brake component replacement, you deserve some "goodwill assistance" of some sort for customer retention. I hope you get it :grin & Enjoy the ride :thumbsup:

Attachments

#5 ·
Pretty unbelievable. They agreed to the flatbed via email this morning and at 6pm today the head of service at Melbourne calls me basically disputing the repair altogether. Calling Mercedes Benz USA tomorrow and if don't get satisfactory response the next call is my attorney if this doesn't get dealt with. Needing new brakes and rotors that either made it through the CPO inspection or the dealer's employees were abusing the car after Certification and before sale is completely unacceptable. Have no confidence in the dealer or the car. At this point just want to give them back the car. Blown away they aren't kissing my ass apologizing and going above and beyond to satisfy me.

#7 ·
I don't start trouble but I finish it - if this doesn't get resolved tomorrow every single review site and every complaint site including RIPOFFREPORT will be filled with this story including all of the characters names from Melbourne that were involved. If MB USA doesn't do the right thing my wife and I will never own another Mercedes. Have a biker friend that lives up by the dealer too who enjoys causing trouble - he will have some fun spending time on weekends in the showroom scaring customers away.

#9 ·
If pursuing legal action seems to be the only option, I will do the same. :thumbsup: Believe me, this will be a piece of cake. Bought a CPO car then the very next day, you are already having serious brake issues? :confused: Get MB Corporate involved. If they agreed to fix this flaw, it really isn't enough. :mad:

To be honest, I am very surprised Melbourne is disputing this instead of offering a sincere apology & doing what my local dealers would have done, like you said, above & beyond. I checked Melbourne's reviews and quite amazed with their unexpected 5-star reviews on Yelp, Yahoo & Google. They even mentioned how great & fair that Service Director guy, Mike Lawson is. I do not quite understand how they have managed that. :confused: :banghead:

Hopefully all goes well for you. :beerchugr:

Attachments

#13 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update. Have to say that both Delray Beach Mercedes and MB USA both stepped up. Delray Beach agreed to do the service as "good will". I also got a call back 2 hours after putting a complaint into MB USA from a senior guy at MB USA who is going to rip into the Melbourne guys. He said that what they did was unacceptable and he also is looking into whether it is permitted to sell a CPO 1700 miles after it is actually certified. He gave me his direct contact info and said I can reach out to him direct if I have any further problem with the car. I am hoping that he is able to approve getting the car completely recertified or giving me some kind of $ service credit. Appreciate the support from you guys!!

#14 ·
Just wanted to give everyone an update. Have to say that both Delray Beach Mercedes and MB USA both stepped up. Delray Beach agreed to do the service as "good will". I also got a call back 2 hours after putting a complaint into MB USA from a senior guy at MB USA who is going to rip into the Melbourne guys. He said that what they did was unacceptable and he also is looking into whether it is permitted to sell a CPO 1700 miles after it is actually certified...............
Wow! So it's Delray now picking up the mess? Probably because of convenience in proximity as per Corporate decisions. Melbourne has not been completely honest with you, 1700 miles after certification? Still, think about it, brakes will not fail yet. And there is no other way but to provide you the "goodwill" assistance in this matter. Since you purchased a 2-yr EW, I would ask for complimentary future flex services:grin

Glad you got it sorted out. :laugh

Now, time for some beer :beerchugr:

Attachments

#16 ·
F**K Melbourne. :bash::bash::bash:Hate it when dealers act this way. I have a high status with 2 of my local dealerships & enjoy the benefits when I take my cars for service. I pay wholesale or special ad pricing (w/c ever is lower, haha:grin)
Anyway, I was considering a CPO S550 & give up my W220 a few years back but decided not to. I purchased my wife's 2016 C300 in Dec of 2015 instead. Never really had major problems with my S430, low miles (54K) except for the routine wearables (i.e, tires, brakes etc) and hate to let go. :devil

Did you get the unlimited mileage warranty on your CPO? And should also come with a 2-yr complimentary pre-paid maintenance as well. Don't know if you got the same deal. Did you trade in another MB? What was the sticker price of the car? They are fun to drive. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Feel real lucky to have Delray MB just a few miles from my house - if I lived up in Melbourne and didn't have a nearby dealer, they would have the car back and would have had to get some regularly scheduled vengeance. I got the unlimited mileage warranty for an extra year with the CPO and also purchased the 2 year MB extended warranty at a real nice discount from someone recommended on these boards so my warranty goes until 12/22. We keep cars and figured the extended warranty was good peace of mind. The car didn't come with 2 year complimentary prepaid maintenance and pretty sure the CPO cars don't come with that. Traded in my wife's 2011 Audi A6. The sticker was $114,705 and it came with the things we wanted - sport package, 20" AMG wheels, Driver Assistance Package, Premium 1 package, surround view camera and nappa leather. It also came with some things that we like but weren't deal killers for us - rear deck spoiler, comfort box, wheel locking bolts. Love the black/black and the black poplar trim inside looks good with it. Definitely fun to drive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.