Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1996 E320. Transmission shifter is very sloppy and getting worse. Please help

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MAVA 
#1 ·
Hello. The transmission shifter on my 96 E320 is very sloppy and getting worse. I bought the car like this a few weeks ago. I have a few questions and would appreciate some advice.

How difficult would it be to replace the shifter rod bushings? Is it something someone who is mechanically inclined can do or should i just have the dealer do it?

I've been searching for a DIY for this year and model Mercedes but haven't been able to find one. Any help would be appreciated.

I plan on going to the dealer to get the part itself later this afternoon.

#2 ·
bush

Big-Digital see pictures .You need the bush replacing its most likely fell out on to the road . And its working on the pivot so a lot of play in there now. You need to get it up on to ramps to get at the selector shaft . Some have to remove silencer or prop shaft to get in there ...See picture they do special pliers to press the bush in place .Bush is merc part only .This is the best picture i could find not exact match for your selector but very close to give you an idea.Good luck

Attachments

#5 ·
Update: So i had someone replace the bushing and the play is gone but.. Now the car wont start in Park and only starts in neutral.

Now before i replaced the bushing, there was a few times where the car did not start in park so that problem started just before i replaced the bushing but again it has gotten worse.

I only bought one bushing originally, now i realize there are a total of 3 that go in that general area and i am wondering if there was a missing bushing that the mechanic didn't even see. I saw the linkage when he pulled it off the car and i saw where he put the 1 bushing i bought but thinking about it i remember there was another circular opening on that end.

Guess i have to try to pull it down myself and see, i purchased the two other bushings. Arg.

Its that or maybe the neutral safety switch right?

one more thing.. I have been starting the car in Neutral for like two weeks, am i messing up my starter?

#6 ·
Update: So i had someone replace the bushing and the play is gone but.. Now the car wont start in Park and only starts in neutral.

Now before i replaced the bushing, there was a few times where the car did not start in park so that problem started just before i replaced the bushing but again it has gotten worse.

Its that or maybe the neutral safety switch right?

one more thing.. I have been starting the car in Neutral for like two weeks, am i messing up my starter?
It could be the neutral safety switch. But more info is needed. What happens when you try and start it in park? Does it crank but not start, no crank at all, crank for a second and cut off, etc...

As far as I know there isnt any damage from the result of starting in neutral instead of park on any car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.