Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1984 MB 38

766 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Jay Mullins 
#1 ·
I am fairly new to this car and looking to change the oil. Looked at youtube, I know, I know..( but there is a lot of good stuff out there) on changing the oil on this car, most of what I saw is that the oil filter is on top, I am not seeing that on this car, I have not crawled underneath yet, But I am suspecting it is underneath the car. Please, correct me if I'm wrong. Also any recommendations regarding the type oil. I have 142K on the clock..

Thank You
Jay:confused:

#7 ·
Congratulations and welcome to our forum.

What you want to do is check out the Factory Service Manuals which are available in the 'sticky' section of the front page. I bought the paper version. There you will see the procedures for whatever it is you wish to do. Oil changes are pretty straightforward but it sounds as if you were describing the power steering oil which the reservoir is right up front on top as you described.

But first, take pictures and let us see!

#8 ·
With the 380 you get part of both worlds. Good power -- eh, not fantastic -- but great gas mileage. Mine is getting 21mpg.

Oil change? You'll need a 14mm allen socket for the oil plug and either a 17mm or 19mm wrench for the filter canister, which is next to the pan. Oh, and a deep oil pan. The M116 engine has an 8.5 quart oil capacity with a 5000 mile recommended change interval.

I find it fascinating how cast aluminum is on these engines. A testament of building something to last?

#9 · (Edited)
Some slight variation ... here are my notes on Oil Change in my 1983 380SL:

Mercedes Change Oil:
Dino Oil – Not Synthetic - 10w50 or 15w50 or 10w40 or 15w40
I use Rotella Diesel Oil 15w40 for its Zinc content that lubricates valves
8.5 quarts
Oil Filter = Mann H929X

17mm socket to remove filter housing
Drain plug at back of oil pan uses 14mm allen Hex Socket

Oil Filter located on the right side of the engine.

Oil Filter = 25nm = 19 ft-lbs
Oil Pan Plug = 50nm = 37 ft-lbs

The small "copper" washer is used on the oil pan drain plug.
The larger “copper” washer is for a larger oil pan plug. ← for 560SL
The small "aluminum" washer is used on the oil can bolt head,.........thus requiring the bolt removal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.