Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Replacing E320 engine.Good or bad idea?

504 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DrX 
#1 ·
Looking for a mechanics opinion on this subject. I have a 99 E320 that I inherited from my deceased father in law. It runs fairly well, however, my mechanic has mentioned that sooner or later I will need to repair the rear main seal and the catalyst x 2 ! I'm looking at several thousand dollars !! The car has approx. 200k miles. I thought about replacing the engine with a used one w/lower mileage. I have seen many advertised (i.e. ebay and other websites)with low mileage. If I'm able to find a reputable source with (hopefully) a warranty would you recommend replacing the engine with a newer one with less miles (40k-50k)? I'm curious what the (approximate) cost would be to replace the engine? Can any of you mechanics in "Benz world" give your opinion? It would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
200k miles is low for those engines and rear seal does not cost thousands. You can run compression test, although I settle for blowby and acceleration test due to hard access to plugs on those engines.
If it runs fine - Fix the seal and rest and drive it.
Digital engines are not easy to swap due to marrying computers, what require skilled technician with proper scanner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.