Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Discouraged with Mercedes

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Coddger 
#1 ·
At 61K miles, our 2010 ML350 broke a front shock and several of the front end bushing needed to be replaced. Traded the ML.

Now our '09, C300, with less than 60k miles has a bad window regulator, or bad window motor.

For what we pay for these cars they certainly should last more than 60 K miles without any problems.

"The best or nothing" ya right !

#2 ·
It's the norm here. You pay for the brand, not for quality.

Go to Lexus/Acura if you want reliability.

Have you ever seen the Porsche/Maserati/Ferrari forums? They have it worse than we do, and yet they still pay big bucks to keep their cars.

#3 ·
Well - Maybe.

I too have been burned by the window regulators , but only after my Benz had to be parked outside under a tree for months. The tree sap gets into the rubber seals and the window is glued in place, then bang - the cable connector snaps. Same thing happened to my Jeep Liberty. Now I wash the window seals separately before I let anyone drop the windows the first time. Fortunately, on these older models you can get the regulators dirt cheap and they work better than the originals.

Now for my defense of Mercedes cars. They are built with the finest materials available. The chassis and exhaust systems stand up way better than most makes. Put a ten year old Mercedes on a lift and the undercarriage looks better than many brand new cars.

A scary thing for owner - mechanics is that every bolt on a Mercedes is torqued to an inch of its life. The first time you break a bolt loose you have to hold your breath!

#4 ·
Well.. with MB you just have to do your homework.
Just few months ago I bought 2008 Bluetec and had to clean the mess dealer's mechanics left under the hood.
Working on 8 years old MB made be starting very gently on clips and latches as lot of them have been coming to powder between my fingers.
Than just last month I got new project what is 1998 SL500 with close to 200k miles.
Just after Bluetec experience, I was expecting that whatever I touch - it will break, yet the 18 years old plastics hold pretty strong.
So it is MY dependable a lot.
Than I love people like OP.
Thanks to them I am buying excelent cars for pennies.
Bought my convertible for less than 2% of its sticker price.
Try that with Lexus or Toyota?

#5 ·
60,000 miles on a 2009 being a 7 year old car and the window giving you issues is the only issue? If you think that is a issue you should of seen how much of a nightmare my ladies Civic Hybrid was... You would have a meltdown. A window regulator is a little issue and nothing to get all worried about. As far as the ML? Well a broken shock at 61K miles is odd.

Reactions: Coddger
#7 ·
I have seen a spring break but not a shock. Window regulators go-some sooner than later. I had a w126 that made it 200K before one of the window regulators needed replacement. One the other hand, our w210 E55 AMG went through them often. I also had a n/a 996 (for a couple of years). The only repair it needed was the ignition switch. It was a really nice car.

#8 ·
Dealer tells me repair will run $500 to $800 depending on if it's the regulator or the motor.

We have had 2 - 240D Benz's, a couple of C230's and a 230 SLK. In all the previous Benz I put gas (or Diesel) in and they ran forever. I think the 240's had over 150K on them.

My point here is the newer Benz don't seem to be as well built.

I'm not sure what "homework I should/could have done that would have informed me of the upcoming problems I've had with both the C300 and the ML350.

Thanks for your input.

#9 ·
You said the dealer tells me... That is the first problem. A 2009 MB should not be at the dealer unless you have a warranty or recall work being done. Find a good indi shop and you will save tons.

Reactions: llensart
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.