Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oldish MB drivetrain swap into Lada Niva

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Kajtek1 
#1 ·
Hi,

as in the subject - I am considering swapping into my 2003 Niva a MB drive-train - engine and gearbox.
The goals/must have are:

-Reliability
-Small dimensions and weight - the Niva has very short bay and gearbox tunnel and is a light car
-At least 110bhp
-Smoothness (balance shafts desired)
-Simplicity (I don't expect a bolt-in, but I don't want to cut my Niva's body)

I'd be very grateful for any idea or suggestion.

I am considering other brands as donors, e.g. Mitsubishis and the likes. But in Spain (where the swap will be done) we have lots of really cheap w123, w124 and w201 floating around in still good condition and such cars have always had a reputation of being bullet-proof if it's about reliability.

Cheers!

David

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It better be diesel :)
Bare in mind that digital transmission, that come about 1997 and up can be a nightmare to make working software-wise.
I know the diesel versions of the cars you are considering and the W123 engines were hogs.
That said the 144 HP 3-liter turbo diesel with 4 sp auto is pretty decent combo even by today's standards. My father still drives one and I am sad to see that the drivetrain closing on 1/2 million km is in top condition, while the car will end on junk yard soon due to interior deterioration.
The 5- cylinder version with 112 HP is decent too.

#4 ·
Thanks for you answer, Kajtek1. Pardon my ignorance, but I seem to be unable to find out exactly what engine you are referring to. Which model are you talking about?

PS: about being "hogs", are you talking about fuel consumption? (Sorry, my English is not that good when the talk gets colloquial :) )

#5 · (Edited)
603 engine. I am not sure about all the varieties, but my father still owns the 3 liter turbo in his 1987 300DT, while in the past I had 2.3l (5 cylinder) turbo version in I remember 1991 car.
The W123 engines are very old technology and 3 liter turbo delivered only 112 HP, while driving wagon in California I barely made 20 mpg.
Our latest W211 wagon with gasoline engine and 4M makes 22 mpg, while HP is about double.
I will not even brag that 320 Bluetec makes 35 mpg and it is bada** car. (don't translate the latest)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.