Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need a Good Laugh - Headlight wiper & pump diagnosis

376 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  CigarXO 
#1 ·
Sometimes you just have to laugh it off - :banghead:

Vehicle: 1995 C36 AMG
With age the car has it's failures and gremlins. I like trying to DIY some of the work as a car of this vintage/value can't support stealership prices. Some of my Jeep threads offer a "What did you do to your XXX today?" - so I thought I'd sound off here to give you a laugh.

Recently, while servicing other problems under the hood, I managed to detach the windshield wiper fluid line from the RH headlight cleaning system. Eventually, this gave me a low wiper fluid warning light on the dash. Investigating, I filled the tank only to have the low fluid status return soon. Deeper investigations and I noticed no operation of the headlight system and leakage around the pumps. So, I disconnected the electrical and fluid lines. Cleaned the reservoir and re-secured everything. I reduced leak around reservoir, normal opn to windshield, but still one pump inop and headlight cleaning system inop. Flipping the electrical connections, the pump proved operational - so, it had to be the electrical. After 60mins tracing and peeling electrical lines around the reservoir and PITA wiring harnesses & molding - I found the pump also wired to the headlight system. So, I read the shop manual and found ..... wait for it....

The headlight cleaning system, wipers and pump only work with the wiper switch AND PARKING LIGHTS (min) ACTIVATED. :stupid:

I hope this helps someone not waste time trying to fix something that isn't broken...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.